Home

2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game.

This is a discussion on 2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #73
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game.

I think what me and a few other people are trying to say is that until they say something like "2k15 to feature improved ai, defensive controls, passing, and rebounding" we're not really going to care what next year's game has to offer. I love the term "legacy issues" because you're recognizing these have been in the game for years on end. The fact that they haven't fixed these issues and they've continually deteriorated the enjoyment of this game year after year is what I feel offended by.

How is it they claim to have built this system from the ground up but still have the exact same issues as last gen? How can you say they took the series in a new direction and then make excuses in the same post that it's the first year of next gen?

The fact that madden has implemented at least some sort of physics the last 2 years and was able to implement the same thing on next gen is astounding when thinking that the last 2 development cycles 2k has been unable to implement some version as well. I'd like to argue that 2k is now behind the times as far as gameplay is concerned and with the implementation of vc and the fact that they have cornered the market there's no excuse for "legacy issues" and server issues and how in general the game plays seeing as that money its obviously not a problem.

If you're not appalled by the fact you can't even change your socks in my career then I really don't understand how you can defend the game.

Something so simple, among myriad of other issues just go unnoticed.

That's what's so offensive. You take my money and throw me the finger.

No thanks.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #74
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

To say they should be "embarrassed" is such a strong word. Most games I pick and play for a few weeks and never play them again. The fact that I along with many people are playing this game like its crack and we can't stop playing it says something.

It's a good game with some issues sure. I want to see some things fixed to.

I can't speak so much to the MyPlayer aspect but with the right users as opponents and the right settings the game is pretty decent.

It's certainly worth the hours I've spent playing it.

I remember having to put a quarter in every time I wanted to play a game.

Those games were definitely rigged to take your money.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #75
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
It's a good game with some issues sure. I want to see some things fixed to.

I can't speak so much to the MyPlayer aspect but with the right users as opponents and the right settings the game is pretty decent.
That's the main problem.

It's cool that we're allowed to change sliders in certain modes to make the game play more realistically..but how about they flip it? Make the sliders more realistic be the default, and force the casuals to get better and if they don't like it than make them be the ones who have to change the sliders to enjoy the game.

And you can't even touch the rosters or sliders in MyCareer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #76
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
That's the main problem.

It's cool that we're allowed to change sliders in certain modes to make the game play more realistically..but how about they flip it? Make the sliders more realistic be the default, and force the casuals to get better and if they don't like it than make them be the ones who have to change the sliders to enjoy the game.

And you can't even touch the rosters or sliders in MyCareer.
By settings, I mean user v user hof, sim sliders and 12 min quarters with no change in sliders. A good user v user battle that way is a blast. I personally don't ever change the sliders, I only adjust the difficulty.

As far as this MyPlayer thing, I've fired up a MyPlayer to see what's going on there. I chose a pass first point guard and then I played the Rookie Showcase. After putting up 1 point and 9 assists and leading the Elites to a pretty decisive victory, I then got picked up 5th in the draft by the Suns. I purposely haven't upgraded anything because I want to think about what would make the most sense realistically and I'm rated like 63 or 64. It's not really realistic to go from a 63 rated player to a 90 plus rated player in one season so I'm trying to think about what would be realistic and how to go about that and I'm looking for ideas on how to go about that.

But, here's a box score from a Suns game vs the Blazers where I had 3 points, 7 assists and a couple of rebounds and the game was fine. I've got some game footage uploading so if you want you can have a look and maybe help me understand what the problem is and why it's believed to be so impossible to get a good game on it.

Here's the box score though. Settings hof, sim sliders, 12 min quarters.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #77
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
By settings, I mean user v user hof, sim sliders and 12 min quarters with no change in sliders. A good user v user battle that way is a blast. I personally don't ever change the sliders, I only adjust the difficulty.

As far as this MyPlayer thing, I've fired up a MyPlayer to see what's going on there. I chose a pass first point guard and then I played the Rookie Showcase. After putting up 1 point and 9 assists and leading the Elites to a pretty decisive victory, I then got picked up 5th in the draft by the Suns. I purposely haven't upgraded anything because I want to think about what would make the most sense realistically and I'm rated like 63 or 64. It's not really realistic to go from a 63 rated player to a 90 plus rated player in one season so I'm trying to think about what would be realistic and how to go about that and I'm looking for ideas on how to go about that.

But, here's a box score from a Suns game vs the Blazers where I had 3 points, 7 assists and a couple of rebounds and the game was fine. I've got some game footage uploading so if you want you can have a look and maybe help me understand what the problem is and why it's believed to be so impossible to get a good game on it.

Here's the box score though. Settings hof, sim sliders, 12 min quarters.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but honestly the problem is I'm too good at the game...at least MyCareer mode against the cpu; I know all the plays, so I jump the passes and get steals..I know the defense so I can drive past for layups or assists. Stuff like that.

After you play for awhile I guess you just learn the tendencies of the cpu and it becomes easy, no matter if you're a 65 or a 99 overall.

I think if 2K got teams play-styles down, like how they play pick & rolls, or how they defend against the break, the pace they play at, etc...it would make the game harder. It would definitely help people like me who've been playing forever and know what teams are doing before they even do it.

But no seriously if you haven't played Career yet go ahead and play it for awhile, it's probably really fun if you've never done it before. It's just the gameplay is so easy now after playing it the last 4 years.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:52 AM   #78
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
I'm not trying to toot my own horn but honestly the problem is I'm too good at the game...at least MyCareer mode against the cpu; I know all the plays, so I jump the passes and get steals..I know the defense so I can drive past for layups or assists. Stuff like that.

After you play for awhile I guess you just learn the tendencies of the cpu and it becomes easy, no matter if you're a 65 or a 99 overall.

I think if 2K got teams play-styles down, like how they play pick & rolls, or how they defend against the break, the pace they play at, etc...it would make the game harder. It would definitely help people like me who've been playing forever and know what teams are doing before they even do it.

But no seriously if you haven't played Career yet go ahead and play it for awhile, it's probably really fun if you've never done it before. It's just the gameplay is so easy now after playing it the last 4 years.
I've actually played it before. It's just when I see the phrase "impossible to get a sim game" it makes me want to revisit it and puts some stuff out there because I don't really believe it's true.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #79
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

How many minutes did you play? Oh, the box score looks pretty when you're mostly riding the bench and the stimulation stats kick in. But you can't play a few games and still get the feel for our pain. You need to go through the 30 games to get the starting job. You need to sit at 28 minutes and have the coach tell you repeatedly that you're going to get more minutes and not get any more till you hit that 30 game mark. You need to have that game where you can't hit a shot if your life depended on it and then sit throb the cut scene where your teammate offers to help you with your jump shot. Then you need to play the free throw game that follows the same story line. You need to play the game where you're dominating the first half, coach sits you till the 4th quarter and your team is down 20 and coach tells you to bring them back and even when you score 30 points in the 4th win or lose coach tells you you're a failure and cuts your minutes. Then when you've finally gotten your starting position, only then will you see the drastic change in how the game plays. Especially on hof you're going to hate it. The cpu will shoot 85% from the floor no matter what until you sit on the bench and come in down 15 again.

Quite literally, until you spend hours on end there's no possible way we can trust your opinion. The game mode is entirely scripted and the worst part is you have to play every single god damn game of your rookie season until year 2 when you get to simulate to a key game
Old 07-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #80
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
How many minutes did you play? Oh, the box score looks pretty when you're mostly riding the bench and the stimulation stats kick in. But you can't play a few games and still get the feel for our pain. You need to go through the 30 games to get the starting job. You need to sit at 28 minutes and have the coach tell you repeatedly that you're going to get more minutes and not get any more till you hit that 30 game mark. You need to have that game where you can't hit a shot if your life depended on it and then sit throb the cut scene where your teammate offers to help you with your jump shot. Then you need to play the free throw game that follows the same story line. You need to play the game where you're dominating the first half, coach sits you till the 4th quarter and your team is down 20 and coach tells you to bring them back and even when you score 30 points in the 4th win or lose coach tells you you're a failure and cuts your minutes. Then when you've finally gotten your starting position, only then will you see the drastic change in how the game plays. Especially on hof you're going to hate it. The cpu will shoot 85% from the floor no matter what until you sit on the bench and come in down 15 again.

Quite literally, until you spend hours on end there's no possible way we can trust your opinion. The game mode is entirely scripted and the worst part is you have to play every single god damn game of your rookie season until year 2 when you get to simulate to a key game

Alright I'll try and do that.

I'm not saying your wrong. I'm saying I like to see for myself. The premise I'm going on is that someone said you can't play sim.

So I guess just remember I'm not saying that there aren't problems with how the mode works (putting my PG in at power forward like happened last night). It's just that I question how the mode itself can prevent you from playing a certain brand of basketball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »