Home

2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game.

This is a discussion on 2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #57
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: 2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
It's possible to have a good experience playing any position. And I have with all three of My Careers. It's just a rare occurrence.

For example, last night I played a game with my PG. 15 seconds left at the end of the 2nd quarter, and we have the ball. I bring it up the court, and come over to the left wing. I have one teammate posting up, and one in the corner adjacent to me. So, I call an isolation to try and free myself up and get an open look, either by beating my own man and/or drawing the help defense, or calling a screen to create a mismatch. These are things that are seen often at the end of a quarter in the NBA.

Here's where it goes awry. The two teammates on my side of the court don't clear out. The one in the corner is still within three feet of me, and the one in the post moves to the other side of me, also within arms reach. So not only do they not run a proper iso, but they actually make it easier for their defenders to cover everyone without having to move. I try calling the iso again, and still, they don't clear out. So by this time I have less

What I described above is a common occurrence, no matter what position I'm playing. On the occasions where I call a screen (end of the quarter or not) and it's set correctly (which is also rare), another teammate will be right next to me (with his defender, of course) so I can't use it properly. Even when I play MyGM, it's the same. The AI and spacing kills the experience for me.
A few questions for you;

1. On the iso call, was that a quick iso call or an iso called from a set play?
2. What team are you on?
3. What difficulty level is it?
4. What slider set, simulation or default?

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 07-03-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #58
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vice
If the game genuinely does piss you off, then I say sure, bring it back. Maybe 2K will take it as a sign and maybe they won't, but either way, 60 bucks is too much money to spend on anything that makes you miserable.
Or why keep playing something that's such an abomination and makes them miserable. At the very least it's comical for me seeing some of the constant complainers here contort themselves in every way possible to say how much of an affront the game is to their sim-basketball sensibilities, yet they're still playing it

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #59
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
A few questions for you;

1. On the iso call, was that a quick iso call or an iso called from a set play?
2. What team are you on?
3. What difficulty level is it?
4. What slider set, simulation or default?
1. For that scenario, I usually call a quick iso.
2. My PG is on the Sixers, my SF is on the Cavs, and my SG is on the Suns (I believe...haven't played that one in a bit).
3. I alternate between Superstar and HOF.
4. Simulation.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #60
Rookie

Andrews's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
comical for me seeing some of the constant complainers here contort themselves in every way possible to say how much of an affront the game is to their sim-basketball sensibilities, yet they're still playing it
Simply answer for you is that many of us like playing NBA simulation basketball video games and there is no other options or competition. Now that could change if other companies get their act together and come out with a reasonable product. Then 2K will be in serious trouble in keeping an active core group of players. Until another option is available, people will continue to voice their opinions to try and elicit positive changes in the 2K product.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #61
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

I'd would suggest calling a set ISO play they might respond better.

I was thinking about starting a MyPlayer just to decide for myself what I thought.

I don't think this is strictly a MyPlayer thread but there's probably stuff that we on the user side can do to make it more sim.

I think it makes sense based on what you told me to use a point guard to start out.

Whenever I see the word impossible to play a certain way, I know there's truth to it but I'm not necessarily convinced.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #62
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews
Simply answer for you is that many of us like playing NBA simulation basketball video games and there is no other options or competition. Now that could change if other companies get their act together and come out with a reasonable product. Then 2K will be in serious trouble in keeping an active core group of players. Until another option is available, people will continue to voice their opinions to try and elicit positive changes in the 2K product.
No, there is competition - you're ignoring it for whatever reasons you have. This isn't an exclusivity situation as there is with the NFL. My favorite sport is football. I purchased Madden once during all of last gen because the game simply wasn't palatable to me. I didn't buy it - repeatedly, year after year - then constantly cry about how it wasn't what I wanted but since it was the only game available I played it as if they had a gun to my head. Some of the people that complain incessantly on this forum have a totally different tone in the other basketball forum.

I get legitimate complaints for trying to improve a product. But some here can't bring themselves to do even that; they have to act as if the game has precious little redeeming value and they're somehow being forced to play it. For all this talk about how bad the game is, I never see anyone posting video of a game that's supposedly better. And PLEASE don't use NBA2K11 as an example - the same dev team made that game too. That's tiring also; acting as if every game 2K's done has sucked - but they somehow managed to catch lightning in a bottle with 2K11, so let's talk about it in such a way to make it seem like this team didn't make it lol. I'm sorry but it's tiring.

When people in the Madden forum were discussing the reasons why some still held on to games like 2K5 or APF, video proof was produced. Full game video was produced. Audio was produced. You NEVER see that here. Never. If video is produced here it's real life video, as if a videogame is supposed to compare favorably. Or some individual plays strung together, as if it's not possible. It's all talk about how horrible the game is, and how great things used to be. Oh, for one year.

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

Last edited by spankdatazz22; 07-03-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #63
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0

Some of us just really enjoy playing basketball video games. If I had a copy of live instead of 2k would I play it? No. Because that game has been repeatedly revealed as an abomination to all sports gamers of any kind. I'd much rather suck camel piss through a straw than play that game. Now, do I loathe this year's title to no end? No. I will still play when my basketball itch rears it's ugly head like it did last night. Most of the time when I play career I just laugh. However, when it's against non-ai competition and I know for certain I'm the better player I get frustrated when the game repeatedly bails out an inferior opponent. What's insulting about this game is how great the franchise was and how pathetic this version is. Doesn't make it a horrible sports game by any means and is vastly superior to its competition. But once again, compared to older versions on inferior hardware, this game becomes an atrocity.

Last edited by bo.jangles344; 07-03-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #64
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.jangles344
What's insulting about this game is how great the franchise was and how pathetic this version is. Doesn't make it a horrible sports game by any means and is vastly superior to its competition. But once again, compared to older versions on inferior hardware, this game becomes an atrocity.
Again, here comes the hyperbole. You're still playing the game some 8 months after it released. Or at least you were, until you lost 7 games in a row recently - online, no less I think - and declared the game a waste, were trading it in, etc.

This is their first attempt on the next gen systems. They were the ONLY sports game developer that attempted to deliver a next gen product out of the gate. And at release, most people were saying they delivered the best playing basketball game to date. I get some people not liking the game's focus on the My-whatever features, or how invasive VC may have been to the overall experience. But again, it's a launch game. I remember during the 360/PS3 launches, a consensus of people here on OS got on 2K for porting their game (2K6) while praising EA for attempting to deliver a next generation basketball engine. And for years showed Live patience in hoping it would blossom into a great game.

That's the biggest difference between then and now; then people here showed patience - now those vocal on this forum show mostly indignation towards the game, when the forum collectively was telling 2K the opposite last time the new systems launched (they were called lazy for porting the game). I know part of it is because of this perception 2K's not focusing on the hardcore minorities' priorities enough, but that's something that's occurring throughout gaming as gaming has evolved. Still doesn't justify the vitriol some of you spew, relative to what the game is imo - this forum is mostly doom and gloom. I'm not trying to absolve 2K for their mistakes. But I am tired of the wishy washy whichever way the wind blows nature OS has become. It's comical sometimes the lengths people go to put down the game w/o giving it any credit whatsoever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »