Home

Was the dribble stick or old school isomotion more realistic?

This is a discussion on Was the dribble stick or old school isomotion more realistic? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Was the dribble stick or old school isomotion more realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Haha. My hands werent that fast when isomotion was in. Irl most ball handlers have certain moves they are good at and other they are not. I have never seen kyle korver do a hesitation cross or double cross over. Thus, I can defend him without even thinking about those moves. My point was the dribble stick allows average ballhandlers to become elite ball handlers. It negates the value of tendenices imo. Not a game breaker but it could be more realistic. I get your isomotion point though.
I agree with you but why coudn't they improve that while keeping the dribble stick ? Just add different animations for worse ball handlers and different outcomes (like travel if you chain two moves with a bad ball handler like Korver or a big men, slower animations, lose balls).
Old 08-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 2

TheyQUOTE=GoJags904;2046509480]I feel that a dribble modifier stat line based on positbn and player should be worked on. i don't want to see Centers being created just to exploit the moves that are allowed. Every move should have a counter and ratings should determine that. Elite players make plays in different moments of different games. I've seen too many steals in the first quarters from teams that eventually fold and lose in the 2nd half, so i want to see full control over everything in the game. With counters and ratings factoring in, this should make for a complete game with player movement and intelligence the only things left to work on. Whether they mix up the isomotion and dribble stick is up in the air, but they should work on the internal issues because that can dramatically change the game we play sooner rather than later.[/quote]

I hear where you're coming from man, but this isn't your grandparents NBA.
Most bigs coming out of high school and college are more gifted with ball handling than you give them credit for. Meaning they're surrounded by smaller players thier whole lives, who constantly handle the ball. I'm sure they pick up from these wing players and point guards a lot more than you give them credit for. Its no wonder players over 6'8 blur the lines between small forwards/power forward/Center.

Try telling Demarcus Cousins Andre Drummond Or Blake griffin to not handle the ball coming down a fast break. They can easily breakndown a defense if they have proper numbers. No, none of them will ever be Chris Paul, but still, if the players have the ability to perform the dribble moves in real life, then they should also be represented in the digital world as well. You might not agree with what they are capable of, but 2k does a fine job of translating what happens on the court into the NBA 2K Franchise.

I find it hard to believe that any BIG being developed would make it far without having a little ball handling skills. The days of the lumbering Oaf, who only blocks shots or grabs rebounds is gone my friend.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 1
Was the dribble stick or old school isomotion more realistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I agree with you but why coudn't they improve that while keeping the dribble stick ? Just add different animations for worse ball handlers and different outcomes (like travel if you chain two moves with a bad ball handler like Korver or a big men, slower animations, lose balls).
Yes. There's no reason to go back from what is obviously a better control system to a less controllable or interesting one with hard coded arbitrary limitations-- when how the current system can be fixed or improved is somewhat obvious.

Every NBA player can do pretty much every dribble move-- just not all very well. Hell, I can do half of them, albeit all slowly and terribly. The game should allow control and responsiveness while also forcing realistic results by way of slow moves and lost handles.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I am a little torn on this subject. I didn't particularly mind isomotion (from 2K12 and earlier). I could see the merit of the dribble stick but I abhorred the loss of signature dribbling and diversity. That darn delayed spin-move-while-dribbling-behind-the-back move just about drove me crazy - and nearly every player did it, which just made it worse.

I suppose my hope would be to get the dribble stick tweaked so we could get the best of both worlds - nice 1:1 control and proper signature styles and abilities.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #21
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

Btw have you ever seen a player in real life do that hesitation behind the back move like in 2K ? I never have.

Most behind the backs look completely unrealistc. Another thing that looked way better in 2K11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Btw have you ever seen a player in real life do that hesitation behind the back move like in 2K ? I never have.

Most behind the backs look completely unrealistc. Another thing that looked way better in 2K11.
Tracy McGrady is one of the few who come to mind who kinda did something sort of like that move in an NBA game (13 second mark):

I have to imagine the decision to implement the dribble stick in 2K13 created limitations for 2K where they previously did not have any, thus resulting in certain unsavory compromises - that weird behind-the-back move being one of them. Still, I often wonder how they settled on that move exactly. There was nothing more realistic and functional that could have fit into that space?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #23
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

That's not the one I was talking about but yeah this one falls into the unrealistic category especiall since you could pull it off with most players. But they removed it didn't they ?

The one I'am talking about is the one where you do a a hesitation (even from a standing still position) and you branch it with a behind back. It does that wierd behind the back I honestly never seen a player do in real life.

They should be more carefull when they add animations. Another exemple is the Steve Nash floater. It used to be his specific move in 2K but in 2K14 they decided it was time to give it to everybody. Well I rarely see anyone but Nash doing the one legged floater... Maybe CP3 does it sometimes...

Not really on topic, sorry about that. I definately want more different animations for different type of players. I even want signature backdowns animations. I was watching some post game Aldrige highlights in nba 2K14 next gen and it looked nothing like him. He has a very classy way of backing down his opponent where he stays very straight up. We need that type of things to be in the game.

Last edited by Vni; 08-25-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #24
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

I prefer the new dribble stick over the old school isomotion. I do want to see sig dribbles though....I remember Mike saying that they were going to add them in later games when the dribble stick was introduced. That was 2 years ago?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »