Home

No Draft in MyCareer-- But we were SO close.

This is a discussion on No Draft in MyCareer-- But we were SO close. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: No Draft in MyCareer-- But we were SO close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clappington
What 2k is trying to get done is smart appeal to the mass majority that's your biggest fan base and you want to keep them happy yes sometimes you should stick to the core but change is good sometimes and in this case change was really good for 2k it took them to another whole level and moving forward . Some guys still want some old stuff that they lived in next gen and it won't make its way there and sometimes that's ok can't please everyone have to aim for the mass majority.
Yeah, and I think that's where a lot of the disconnect stems. What's popular is not always the same as what may be perceived as being of sound quality. Sometimes yes. Many times no. I think things get weird when it's a piece of art (NBA 2K is an art piece, not just in the literal drawing sense, but as a product as a whole) while at the same time being a for-profit enterprise.

If NBA 2K were somehow a game that did not exist for profit or sales and was only an exercise in creating an outstanding NBA simulation and replication, do I believe something like the tacky dialogue in MyCareer would still be included? I am not so sure. However, 2K is and always was for profit, so all else is null and void. The question then becomes, at what point does legitimate quality end and merely pandering to a popular audience begin?

To oversimplify things, maybe a lot of this just has to do with 2K's shifting audience over the years. When many folks originally jumped on board in the early 2000's (present company included), 2K seemed to be catering to a niche crowd of basketball enthusiasts, believing that if they built it, some of us would come. Over time, while slowly building a loyal following as they developed a penchant for quality, alongside Live's own demise, it seems 2K's taken on all of the basketball crowd and is now trying to appeal to all of those fans on a large scale - many of the enthusiasts who remain but also a lot of the Live crossover crowd, of whom many are also enthusiasts but perhaps more are not, leading to a conflict in interest.

Tough position for 2K. Business is business, but it does not make game decisions divorced from what some desire from their NBA basketball simulation any easier to understand and support.

Last edited by VDusen04; 09-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Yeah, and I think that's where a lot of the disconnect stems. What's popular is not always the same as what may be perceived as being of sound quality. Sometimes yes. Many times no. I think things get weird when it's a piece of art (NBA 2K is an art piece, not just in the literal drawing sense, but as a product as a whole) while at the same time being a for-profit enterprise.

If NBA 2K were somehow a game that did not exist for profit or sales and was only an exercise in creating an outstanding NBA simulation and replication, do I believe something like the tacky dialogue in MyCareer would still be included? I am not so sure. However, 2K is and always was for profit, so all else is null and void. The question then becomes, at what point does legitimate quality end and merely pandering to a popular audience begin?

To oversimplify things, maybe a lot of this just has to do with 2K's shifting audience over the years. When many folks originally jumped on board in the early 2000's (present company included), 2K seemed to be catering to a niche crowd of basketball enthusiasts, believing that if they built it, some of us would come. Over time, while slowly building a loyal following as they developed a penchant for quality, alongside Live's own demise, it seems 2K's taken on all of the basketball crowd and is now trying to appeal to all of those fans on a large scale - many of the enthusiasts who remain but also a lot of the Live crossover crowd, of whom many are also enthusiasts but perhaps more are not, leading to a conflict in interest.

Tough position for 2K. Business is business, but it does not make game decisions divorced from what some desire from their NBA basketball simulation any easier to understand and support.

Thing is, I'm not sure tacky dialogue actually appeals to anyone. I don't think MyCareer is tacky on purpose. It feels like an attempt at immersion and narrative but where the writer missed on achieving a compelling tone. I was thinking maybe that sort of storytelling is meant to be understandable to younger audiences, but then again there's plenty of accessible sports movies that also carry believability and weight.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #75
Just started!

OVR: 0

Nah, that feeling of dread for something so obvious being taken out was last year when the entire Association mode was taken out and VC was implemented in MyGM for making changes to your roster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #76
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7

Argh, so many people upset over such a minor thing.

Fixating on such a minor, unimportant detail, to the exclusion of all the good stuff, like the fixes to MyGM and the all-new MyLeague.

You can't pay for just the modes you want. It's all or nothing, kid. Purchasing the product will be an endorsement of this mode.

If you're REALLY so upset about this? Make a statement. Vote with your wallet.

Don't.

Buy.

The game.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #77
Rookie

In my opinion, it's actually more realistic to be undrafted than drafted. When you got drafted in the game, you got drafted and so did the person that got drafted in real life. So somehow, you had to make a reasoning that the team that drafted you, somehow was able to draft another high quality player too. That made no real sense and you couldn't stop that because the entire draft would be unlike real life and skewed with different choices on different teams if one pick was out of whack.

While I do think an option to be drafted for variety sake should be there, I don't mind being undrafted. It's something different and potentially will lead to a 2K11 style MyCareer in the future with all of those things. This could be the groundwork for it.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #78
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

If they're going for a realistic story...

Undrafted rookie, play in the summer league (put up 20 a game or whatever) no team signs you...you're mad, try out for bunch of d league teams. Play until February or so, the team you're affiliated with's star goes down with an injury and they call you up. You come in and around late March you get a start. They decide to start you for the playoffs...star comes back and you have his job which starts a rivalry...blah blah blah

You get the point lol, it would actually make sense instead of just being on an NBA team scoring 20 a game outta no where...assuming it's still as easy as it used to be.

-Allen Iverson
Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball

Fixating on such a minor, unimportant detail, to the exclusion of all the good stuff, like the fixes to MyGM and the all-new MyLeague.

You can't pay for just the modes you want. It's all or nothing, kid. Purchasing the product will be an endorsement of this mode.

Don't.

Buy.

The game.

Why does it matter to you? They're dissatisfied, they're allowed to disagree and voice their opinion. Just ignore it and move on. You're satisfied, you're going to buy it, what they do has nothing to do with you. Jeez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball

Don't.

Buy.

The game.
Also, critical feedback can be another option for folks who are dissatisfied with certain aspects of a game they otherwise enjoy. What's neat is, the website OperationSports.com has provided a forum where gamers are able to voice their opinions on various sports video games. Sometimes, they're even able to interact with the developers of their favorite simulations. Moreover, wishlists and well thought out threads or posts can help play a role in the development and optimization of a given sports title moving forward.

Thank goodness 2K did not interpret the sales spike of 2K11 as being an endorsement by all of the unstoppable spin dunk. And thank goodness they did not interpret the successful sales numbers of 2K14 as an endorsement of VC bombs and the removal of a legitimate franchise mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »