Home

Post animations that annoy YOU in the game!

This is a discussion on Post animations that annoy YOU in the game! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Exclamation Post animations that annoy YOU in the game!

Hey guys,

since 2K is apparently reading some of the threads over here, I thought we could start a thread with all the annoying animations effecting the otherwise great gameplay experience:

1. the "walking up" dribble animation. I think other people mentioned it in the patch impressions thread. The animation triggers at random times when bringing up the ball and can't be stopped till you bump into a defender or land in another bad spot on the floor. Its just annoying that I dont have full control over where my player goes and doesnt go during these situations.

2. the "bumping during fastbreaks" animation. Keep in mind that I play on superstar so this issue might be somewhat negligible on lower difficulties. A lot of times when you are running the ball up the floor the opponent will just run at you and trigger a bumping animation that stops you from running the fast break. That never happens in the real NBA because it would result in a foul call 99% of the time. Sometimes its so bad that I almost get a backcourt violation call because I cant dribble up the flor with all the bumping.

3. the "hesitation dribble". This happens after almost every pick n roll for me. Instead of running straight to the rim your player resorts into a weird hesitation dribble where the game doesn't allow you to move with full mobility even if your defender is nowhere near you. Im sure a lot of you guys know what I'm talking about.

This is not supposed to be a thread were people just bitch around but a place where we can hopefully post constructive criticism of an otherwise great game. Please post the animations that annoy you so that 2k can fix them in the next patch.

edit. all these observations have been made in the my career mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Banned

HUSTLER_79's Arena

Re: Post animations that annoy YOU in the game!

Passes in the lane /post where cpu hands go up like ufo's to break the pass
how quick can a human bein be throwin their hands up ..

it makes pick n rolls ineffective ...all passes need to be pick n fades or flashy passes
I dont like the pick n roll cloughed up spaces at alll !!

And them missed dunks are gettin hilarious now

please programmers watch the nba and go from there .
Old 01-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Banned

HUSTLER_79's Arena

But try stoppin an alley oop ur arms are paralyzed lol the balance in the arm reactions are nonsense..also on contests I noticed therr is a forcefield holding you arms doen so u cant contest...and guess what ..they go in wenn that happpens

too much interference that doesnt make sense
Old 01-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 4

Majority of the user animations. Most are slow/late and over exaggerated and you have no control during most.

CPU animation on the other hand are complete opposite.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Pro

zrohman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless9625
Hey guys,

since 2K is apparently reading some of the threads over here, I thought we could start a thread with all the annoying animations effecting the otherwise great gameplay experience:

1. the "walking up" dribble animation. I think other people mentioned it in the patch impressions thread. The animation triggers at random times when bringing up the ball and can't be stopped till you bump into a defender or land in another bad spot on the floor. Its just annoying that I dont have full control over where my player goes and doesnt go during these situations.

2. the "bumping during fastbreaks" animation. Keep in mind that I play on superstar so this issue might be somewhat negligible on lower difficulties. A lot of times when you are running the ball up the floor the opponent will just run at you and trigger a bumping animation that stops you from running the fast break. That never happens in the real NBA because it would result in a foul call 99% of the time. Sometimes its so bad that I almost get a backcourt violation call because I cant dribble up the flor with all the bumping.

3. the "hesitation dribble". This happens after almost every pick n roll for me. Instead of running straight to the rim your player resorts into a weird hesitation dribble where the game doesn't allow you to move with full mobility even if your defender is nowhere near you. Im sure a lot of you guys know what I'm talking about.

This is not supposed to be a thread were people just bitch around but a place where we can hopefully post constructive criticism of an otherwise great game. Please post the animations that annoy you so that 2k can fix them in the next patch.

edit. all these observations have been made in the my career mode.
I was about to make a thread about the walk up dribble animation
1: it is so slow that you would get an 8 seconds call if you walked it the full way

2: How easy can it be? Extremely. When you turbo you run the ball up. When you don't you walk and skip up. How far you push the stick can determine the walking speed. How they add in one of the most fundamental things and don't add that in is beyond me. It drives me nuts. This game is so close to being great. It's good to me but it's only a few steps away. This is too simple and should be fixed asap
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Banned

The new "walking up" animation that you can't control is just silly. I get what they were trying to do, but it was executed poorly.

The right way to execute it would be to allow the USER to control it and do it when they want to, not to automatically FORCE them to do it.

As far as the other two go...well, there is a reason those are there.

Without them the game quickly becomes a 5-on-5 version of NBA Jam - it's a fact. I realize that is the game some people want...but long term, it's a bad thing for the game and those who play it.

The "fast break bumps" happen in real life...I don't think they need to be removed or changed. The game does a pretty good job of simulating an NBA fast break. Without the bumps, you would just have guys turbo-ing from end to end. Like I said, I know thats what some people WANT...but it's not a good thing for those who want to play a SIM game and those who are dedicated users who BUY the game every year.

The pick-n-roll hesitation is slightly more annoying, but I still see WHY they added it. Too much turbo around picks that was just unstoppable.

2k15 is the most accurate basketball game ever made as far as simulating the pick-n-roll goes. However, you could break and "cheese" that entire system by simply turbo-ing off picks for unstoppable dunks and layups. The turbo-ing threw off the timing of the pick-n-roll and how the defense reacted to it.

One problem seems to be the way a large percentage of players tries to use the pick-n-roll. The fact is, most just expect to call for a pick and get a layup...or pass to the roller for a layup or dunk. The problem is, the P-n-R in the NBA is a lot more complicated and complex than that. And a big part of the problem is these players don't want a SIM pick-n-roll...they just want to be able to have a FALLBACK option that makes it EASY to score...and P-n-R has always been that.

The more I look at some of this, the more I come back to the belief that a lot of this stuff is added to counteract how overpowered TURBO is. Maybe removing or changing TURBO is the better solution?

It's clearly not a very accurate idea of how real-life basketball works.

Taking it out and replacing it with something that is more short-term, like a "Burst" button would make more sense.

There are people who play this game without ever removing their finger from the R2 trigger. That's not how basketball is played.

Turning it into a Burst modifier would make a lot more sense....but it would also make the game harder and tick a lot of the casual ARCADE players off...so I doubt it ever happens.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17
The new "walking up" animation that you can't control is just silly. I get what they were trying to do, but it was executed poorly.

The right way to execute it would be to allow the USER to control it and do it when they want to, not to automatically FORCE them to do it.

Without them the game quickly becomes a 5-on-5 version of NBA Jam - it's a fact. I realize that is the game some people want...but long term, it's a bad thing for the game and those who play it.

The "fast break bumps" happen in real life...I don't think they need to be removed or changed. The game does a pretty good job of simulating an NBA fast break. Without the bumps, you would just have guys turbo-ing from end to end. Like I said, I know thats what some people WANT...but it's not a good thing for those who want to play a SIM game and those who are dedicated users who BUY the game every year.

The pick-n-roll hesitation is slightly more annoying, but I still see WHY they added it. Too much turbo around picks that was just unstoppable.

2k15 is the most accurate basketball game ever made as far as simulating the pick-n-roll goes. However, you could break and "cheese" that entire system by simply turbo-ing off picks for unstoppable dunks and layups. The turbo-ing threw off the timing of the pick-n-roll and how the defense reacted to it.

One problem seems to be the way a large percentage of players tries to use the pick-n-roll. The fact is, most just expect to call for a pick and get a layup...or pass to the roller for a layup or dunk. The problem is, the P-n-R in the NBA is a lot more complicated and complex than that. And a big part of the problem is these players don't want a SIM pick-n-roll...they just want to be able to have a FALLBACK option that makes it EASY to score...and P-n-R has always been that.

The more I look at some of this, the more I come back to the belief that a lot of this stuff is added to counteract how overpowered TURBO is. Maybe removing or changing TURBO is the better solution?

It's clearly not a very accurate idea of how real-life basketball works.

Taking it out and replacing it with something that is more short-term, like a "Burst" button would make more sense.

There are people who play this game without ever removing their finger from the R2 trigger. That's not how basketball is played.

Turning it into a Burst modifier would make a lot more sense....but it would also make the game harder and tick a lot of the casual ARCADE players off...so I doubt it ever happens.
1.Either bring back the live ball.
2. Remove turbo.
3. Add a rating for maximum dribble speed. Like pes
4. Add a badge that allows people to manuever with turbo, and limiting everyone else from Being able to move under control while using turbo. Like pes.

I hate the turbo button as implemented.

However, that full speed bump animation is terrible. Should be removed and something else added.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes

Last edited by alabamarob; 01-08-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17

The above is a perfect example of excusing the legacy band-aids in place because of their good intentions. A simulation means realistic actions with realistic consequences. I want a simulation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »