Home

Randomized MyPlayer skill caps in 2k16?

This is a discussion on Randomized MyPlayer skill caps in 2k16? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Randomized MyPlayer skill caps in 2k16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalenT
OP....I like the way you think!!! This idea is nice. I was also thinkin' along the same lines, as far as capping abilities. My idea was, I liked the way badges were earned this, so how about basing your attribute improvement on how you performed in certain areas of the game. I.E. More blocks = More blocks to upgrade your block stats and then also capping things off based on height and position and everything. I think that'd be kinda cool.
I like the idea of earning what you get, but there also needs to be a basis for original ratings. Anything in mind for that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTofu
I'm fine with reconfiguring the way caps work, but I don't like the idea of random caps.

The user should be able to have some idea, when starting, what s/he is building towards and have a reasonable amount of confidence that with enough effort s/he can achieve it.

That'd definitely make it worse. People go into park and get absolutely crushed repeatedly by people who through will or luck have built LeBron level characters. The boards would be spammed with messages how it's the biggest injustice ever.
Choosing a player type would give a MP the desired direction. The randomized skill caps would just mean your 'athletic scoring guard' could have the potential to be anyone from Derozan to (in rare instances)Kobe.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #27
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

They could do randomize the caps and make then hidden, but i think we all know that 2k's not gonna do that
Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemthethriller
The problem is that Magic Johnson had faults, and when you play in the Rec/Park you end up playing against a lot of 7'0" SFs that have the dribble skills of Iverson, the post game of Hakeem, and the defense of Ben Wallace.

Height caps are needed, and they need to be lowered there is almost no point being a min height to 6'6" PG, and no point to making a SG/PF and little to no advantage of making a Center.

You have to make the other positions relavant whether it's a C because he holds a distinct height advantage/post advantage or a PG because his dribble skills can get him out of bad situations...
I agree. Every all time great, had limitations, Magic included. But when everyone has the opportunity to be basically the best basketball player to ever touch a basketball, its not hard to imagine what path the masses will take.

I dont think the height limits meed to be in place as the appropriate physical limitations are in place.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 02-12-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:41 AM   #29
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
I agree. Every all time great, had limitations, Magic included. But when everyone has the opportunity to be basically the best basketball player to ever touch a basketball, its not hard to imagine what path the masses will take.

I dont think the height limits meed to be in place as the appropriate physical limitations are in place.
Yes I know Magic had faults, every person in the world has faults.

I think everyone is missing what I was saying. I do NOT want you to be able to have a 99 in every single attribute category. I just don't want them capped.

I want there to be a limit of upgrades you can have, like this year.

This makes it so you can still be a 99 overall if you wish, and you can still have 99 rebounding or 99 passing or whatever, but you can't have them all 99. You have to pick and choose.

So if you think about it, someone that is making a center would (logically, not everyone will do this because some people don't think logically) would want to have high rebound, high post, and high defense ratings, etc.

This way I think it still gives the user control, but not everything is overpowered. I think the heights shouldn't be capped because it makes no sense, technically you can be any height, it's just based on genetics. I should be able to be a 6 foot 9 PG, HOWEVER I should move slower and be less agile than a 6 foot 3 John Wall type. This is what needs to be fixed, not the whole random MC thing.

IMO

Lakers
Juventus

PSN: KingTocco
Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #30
Banned

here's my votes:

no to randomization
yes to lower attribute caps
yes to less badges per position/player type
Old 02-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyForBuckets
Yes I know Magic had faults, every person in the world has faults.

I think everyone is missing what I was saying. I do NOT want you to be able to have a 99 in every single attribute category. I just don't want them capped.

I want there to be a limit of upgrades you can have, like this year.

This makes it so you can still be a 99 overall if you wish, and you can still have 99 rebounding or 99 passing or whatever, but you can't have them all 99. You have to pick and choose.

So if you think about it, someone that is making a center would (logically, not everyone will do this because some people don't think logically) would want to have high rebound, high post, and high defense ratings, etc.

This way I think it still gives the user control, but not everything is overpowered. I think the heights shouldn't be capped because it makes no sense, technically you can be any height, it's just based on genetics. I should be able to be a 6 foot 9 PG, HOWEVER I should move slower and be less agile than a 6 foot 3 John Wall type. This is what needs to be fixed, not the whole random MC thing.

IMO
That then leads to tens of thousands of athletic players with 99 dunking and speed ratings; tens of thousands of guards and forwards with a 99 steal and three-point rating and a frustrated community.

99 is a powerful rating(hell, in 2k an 85 is powerful), as it should be. If you've ever actually played against a person with 4.2 speed, or a 45 inch vert, you know how incredibly advantageous that is. But not only do you lose player differentiation when those ratings are readily available, you lose balance.

Then hordes of plavers can dunk in traffic, pick pockets, rain threes, and dribble like playground legends.

Again, i agree theres no need for height caps however.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 02-13-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #32
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

It's pretty simple if you ask me. Make it hard to be a 99 but don't take away the ability to do so, that's just dumb. Make it take awhile with a lot of dedication and skill to the game mode to be able to get to 99.

Separate the MyCareer ratings from the MP ratings if everyone is so worried about that. Make it so you have to progress and earn attributes by playing MyPark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lakers
Juventus

PSN: KingTocco

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »