Home

Gameplay criticisms after watching gameplay footage

This is a discussion on Gameplay criticisms after watching gameplay footage within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #49
Rookie

drewwright's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Gameplay criticisms after watching gameplay footage

Some anims look kinda choppy like on a pullup or something, other than that it's good.
New York Knicks
Old 09-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #50
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1213
Spoiler
this will probably the best basketball game to date. will there be issues? sure, but every game has them..it's a video game. NOT real life.
Spoiler
Just wanted to make a comment. Even though it is true, I have never been a big fan of people saying "It's a video game. It's NOT real life."

The thing is developers absolutely work hard and long hours to create a magnificent piece of artwork. In the world of sports video game simulation, they're trying their hardest to bring realism to our virtual screens to mimic reality as close as possible. This is why they use real people to do motion capture, signature shots, player movement, attempt to bring solid grounded realistic footplant. This is why they speak with real headcoaches to put together real playbooks. This is why they have moved to include facial scans along with body scans and various subtle player cadences. This is why they have worked to improve their adaptive artificial intelligence and player behaviors, hoping to create a realistic humanistic component, and much more just to capture the essence of "real."

If they had the attitude of "It's a video game. It's not real life," the sports game genre, especially 2k basketball would not be where it is today ... one step closer to reality. I doubt this magnificent team of 2k developer sits back and says "it's only a video game." I have a very good feeling these guys continues to survey the game on a daily basis in attempts to inject real life into NBA2k basketball. They're trying to simulate reality, real basketball at every opportunity.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 09-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Just wanted to make a comment. Even though it is true, I have never been a big fan of people saying "It's a video game. It's NOT real life."

The thing is developers absolutely work hard and long hours to create a magnificent piece of artwork. In the world of sports video game simulation, they're trying their hardest to bring realism to our virtual screens to mimic reality as close as possible. This is why they use real people to do motion capture, signature shots, player movement, attempt to bring solid grounded realistic footplant. This is why they speak with real headcoaches to put together real playbooks. This is why they have moved to include facial scans along with body scans and various subtle player cadences. This is why they have worked to improve their adaptive artificial intelligence and player behaviors, hoping to create a realistic humanistic component, and much more just to capture the essence of "real."

If they had the attitude of "It's a video game. It's not real life," the sports game genre, especially 2k basketball would not be where it is today ... one step closer to reality. I doubt this magnificent team of 2k developer sits back and says "it's only a video game." I have a very good feeling these guys continues to survey the game on a daily basis in attempts to inject real life into NBA2k basketball. They're trying to simulate reality, real basketball at every opportunity.
I understand they are trying to make it closer to real life..what I meant was more it's never going to be perfect because it is a video game. not that that's not what we are aiming for, just that's not going to happen because it is a video game..if that makes sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #52
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1213
I understand they are trying to make it closer to real life..what I meant was more it's never going to be perfect because it is a video game. not that that's not what we are aiming for, just that's not going to happen because it is a video game..if that makes sense.
I completely understood what you meant and that's usually what a lot of people mean, but I still don't like the comment, "It's a video game, not real life." You guys have to figure out a way to say it in a different manner. Relying on the fact that it's a video game is simply a crutch not to simulate reality. Of course it's going to be difficult to create perfection, but the saying that it's never going to be perfect is also in the same realm as saying "it's a video game, not real life." Even though it's a given that complete reality and absolute perfection is an unobtainable holy grail, it's best not to make those statement. Let's keep it with a can do attitude.

Kobe and Lebron never says it can't be done even though it might be true, their attitude of striving to be the best is what makes them great.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 09-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 14

I've seen the CPU post up and call for a pass inside the paint a few times in these vids, and that 3 seconds in the key seems pretty lenient. Hopefully it's an aberration and the AI shows an awareness of that.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
I completely understood what you meant and that's usually what a lot of people mean, but I still don't like the comment, "It's a video game, not real life." You guys have to figure out a way to say it in a different manner. Relying on the fact that it's a video game is simply a crutch not to simulate reality. Of course it's going to be difficult to create perfection, but the saying that it's never going to be perfect is also in the same realm as saying "it's a video game, not real life." Even though it's a given that complete reality and absolute perfection is an unobtainable holy grail, it's best not to make those statement. Let's keep it with a can do attitude.

Kobe and Lebron never says it can't be done even though it might be true, their attitude of striving to be the best is what makes them great.
umm..sorry that you don't agree but I don't need to say it in other manner than what I said. it's not real life. period. it's not a crutch its the truth. try as they may (and I hope they do) it's just not going to happen. to expect anything else is just insane. there has never been a game, and never has, that is just exactly like real life. it won't happen. so to expect better is understandable...but to expect a game with no issues, is illogical.people are on here ( not everyone) expecting perfection. if you people realize it's a game, then maybe that would put some things in perspective . there will still be issues but maybe people could be a little more understanding of the issues. point them out, sure but maybe with some positive feedback or ideas. One person was not satisfied with the post fade. He made a suggestion about tendencies. that makes sense. but just, I don't like this, I don't like that without a suggestion or possible solution...well that's ridiculous. saying it's a video game is the truth and that's why it will never be perfect. if you don't like that as an answer...well sorry, but it is what it is.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #55
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

10 days til release...... maybe that's enough time for 2K marketing to let Big Czar dog loose and drop some of his patented glorious vids......

This list of criticisms would probably be a lot smaller if they had in the first place.

For the record, I love how the game looks. But until I see it played more of the Czar flavour or get to play myself, I just try to focus on key cosmetic things and a bit of AI behaviour.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 0

Players look absurdly fast at times as if game speed was turned up to 100, e.g. Butler at 0:38 in the Bulls video. And just the general movement of the ballhandlers looks too fluid and fast if you know what I mean, for example Mike Conley at 0:43 or Chris Paul at 0:26 in the Clippers Houston video. Looks as if they're just gliding all over the place at full speed

Last edited by peZt; 09-14-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »