Home

Err, is there something wrong with 3pt shooting?

This is a discussion on Err, is there something wrong with 3pt shooting? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Err, is there something wrong with 3pt shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I pretty much never get anything below a B when wide open and give my feet time to settle, unless it's the heavily penalized step back. It's usually a B+ or better. This is even off short off the dribble shots. Again, offline, but I just shot 5-8 and I play like Curry does except for somewhat less consistent off the dribble shooting.

You should really chart your open shots and your corresponding releases. And are you letting your feet settle for a moment or just turboing into momentum threes? I can't see how you can be shooting 30% wide open unless you're consistently messing up your releases or have a play style that badly incurs shot fatigue, or online plays completely different even for open shots-- and we would have had more reports of that if it were the case.

I do agree the step shot penalty is out of whack when executed from a standstill. Size ups and movement before the shot incur way less.
Whatever. I've played nearly 200 games online to know what I know. Let my feet settle? Really? Lmao. It's a nba player, they catch the ball settling their feet at the same time. They teach u that in high school bro. This not elementary. Nba players catch ready to shoot. I mean, If ur a shooter u would know that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
People here to over exaggerate everything and claim everything about the game is broken and when someone asks to post some video proof(which is actually helpful)then only a few want to do it.

It's 2015 and everyone here got PLENTY of ways to record and upload videos, so it's no excuse for people not do it, especially if they claim something is broken.
And ppl love to act like the game Is perfect when it's far from it. I play the game every day. Even with the flaws, I still play it. I just come to except it for what it is tho. I know my limitations in this game and I play it accordingly. I know I can't really hit two 3s back to back so I try not to. I know I cant really hit 3s off the dribble like some guys do in real life so I know not to do it. I know if u get a open shot from a design play ur chances are better than if u got that same open shot by chance. 2k penalizes u it seems for not running plays. And if u tubo down court, even when open u likely will miss if u pull up for 3. Just because u turbo. I know blocks are over powered. Like i say, It's a video game bro. It's not a true sim. I hate when ppl act like it's perfect when it's not. All I'm saying

Last edited by MadManCometh; 10-17-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #43
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
Here's my thing, u can't really compare a video game to real world because at the end of the day, it's just that, a video game. I know u guys here try to play that little game by comparing it to real world but to me, it's not even close. Way to many unrealistic things happening. Curry cannot simply duplicate the things he do on 2k16 that he does in real life. Basically u have to be a spot up shooter in this game and curry hits many 3s off the dribble.

The A.I. still does some very unrealistic things. Everybody is virtually a shot blocker in this game, so it's not just the shooting. Theres other issues with the game play as well. I personally play it for the fun factor. If u think it's on point and suits ur appetite then Amen to u and high fives. But for me, I know it for what it is. Not about to make any videos or that sort of thing because we all have our opinions of the game and I'm not about to play detective to get u to see my point.
Makes a claim.
Refuses to support claim with concrete evidence.
Refuses to acknowledge that there might be user error in the equation

Ok.............
Old 10-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #44
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManCometh
And ppl love to act like the game Is perfect when it's far from it. I play the game every day. Even with the flaws, I still play it. I just come to except it for what it is tho. I know my limitations in this game and I play it accordingly. I know I can't really hit two 3s back to back so I try not to. I know I cant really hit 3s off the dribble like some guys do in real life so I know not to do it. I know if u get a open shot from a design play ur chances are better than if u got that same open shot by chance. 2k penalizes u it seems for not running plays. And if u tubo down court, even when open u likely will miss if u pull up for 3. Just because u turbo. I know blocks are over powered. Like i say, It's a video game bro. It's not a true sim. I hate when ppl act like it's perfect when it's not. All I'm saying
That's cool so my post doesn't even relate to you then, unless you're one of the folks who I described in my first paragraph. Meanwhile, nobody here acts like the game is perfect because we know there's flaws/issues in the game that haven't been addressed yet or may not ever get addressed(warping/sliding being one). We just don't throw out foolish words like broken/unplayable or any other kind of extreme hyperbole.

I'm like you in that I accept it for it is. I know that the game is going to have its flaws, but what I try to do is MINIMIZE the amount of times they occur in the game to the point where it doesn't effect my enjoyment.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
Context is everything. Not only this but my bet is that the OP was taking these shots after being physical to get open and also had various movement penalties.

The shot itself may be wide-open but there is a lot of other things going on at the same time.
Just to clarify: I knew about the penalties well before this. So what I did was attempt 3s either after a pick-n-pop or during transition where I fade towards the corner and try for 3s.

I think I might've found a possible cause: Because of the shot animation I was using, I might've ended up stepping on the line for a few of those attempts. Which is probably what causes me to have worse percentage than what it should be. I'll play a few games with another shot animation to test it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2015, 01:03 AM   #46
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trandoanhung1991
Just to clarify: I knew about the penalties well before this. So what I did was attempt 3s either after a pick-n-pop or during transition where I fade towards the corner and try for 3s.

I think I might've found a possible cause: Because of the shot animation I was using, I might've ended up stepping on the line for a few of those attempts. Which is probably what causes me to have worse percentage than what it should be. I'll play a few games with another shot animation to test it out.
Also be aware that this year, you really need to give yourself an extra moment to "plant your feet" after whatever you use to get open. This is anti-zig-zag mechanics coming into play. It is not as smooth as it should be to catch-and-shoot.

I had two shots my last game, same spot on the floor, same circumstances (no defender within 10 feet) and on the first I started my shot immediately on receiving the kick-back. Perfect "A" release but it went 3/4ths of the way down then popped out.

On the next play, I initiated the same exact sequence but this time I paused to let the "catch" animation play through and it went in perfectly.

This is anecdotal but it illustrates that we gotta play within the mechanics deployed to fight the cheese tactics to succeed.

Edit: Also, shot fatigue is real. Remember, LD2K used Kobe all game long in their live-feed and by the end of the game, even Ronnie was able to beat him easily.

Just for comparison, my last game I played 28 minutes and I had 10 fewer shots than you. Yet, I know I was experiencing shot fatigue (after the game the Gaterade symbol was there to confirm fatigue). Just think about that. You had 10 more attempts than I did with 10 less minutes.

You'll succeed soon.

Last edited by Taer; 10-18-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #47
Rookie

Yep, it seems like it's the animation causing me to step on the line that causes my % to plummet. Changed to a more concise animation and seems fine since.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #48
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
On the next play, I initiated the same exact sequence but this time I paused to let the "catch" animation play through and it went in perfectly.

i realise this too. agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »