Home

NBA2K17 - Fatigue system

This is a discussion on NBA2K17 - Fatigue system within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NBA2K17 - Fatigue system

Here's my thing with the fatigue system. I actually thought it was pretty good last year (*edit* except for the amount of stamina you could recover from calling multiple timeouts). You could play your starters most of the game, and while they would start to get tired by the end of the game, you wouldn't see a massive hit in their performance. A lot of NBA players can play an entire game and still be effective. If you watch a playoff game, or more specifically a Game 7, you're not going to see the superstars out of the game very much at all. But, guys can't play the whole game every game. That's why coaches have rotations throughout the season. You don't want to run your guys into the ground. You save those full-game performances for times when the team has to have it.

The problem in 2K, when it comes to online play, is that you're basically always playing a Game 7. There aren't any real consequences to running your guys into the ground because you aren't concerned if they'll have anything left for the next game. They're just going to reset back to 100% stamina as soon as the game is finished.

What I would like to see done is for 2K to carry over fatigue in online games, similar to how it is carried over in MyLeague. So, you play a game with Cleveland, never take Lebron out, and he's exhausted by the end of the game. The next time you play with Cleveland, Lebron may start the game at 85% stamina. If you run him into the ground that game, then he may start at 70% the next time. Not only would this encourage people to use their rotations, but it might encourage people to pick different teams a little more often. They'll probably still pick the 3-4 best teams, but maybe they won't run with the Warriors or Cavs every single time.

The potential pitfall you face with this is what do you do about games that disconnect? Does that game count towards a player's stamina? If so, what's to stop people from getting into a game, unplugging their router, causing a disconnect, and then starting a new game with their starters all fresh and rested?

Still, I think it's something that could work well if the exploits could be thought through and countered in some way.

Last edited by Pokes404; 08-23-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Here's my thing with the fatigue system. I actually thought it was pretty good last year (*edit* except for the amount of stamina you could recover from calling multiple timeouts). You could play your starters most of the game, and while they would start to get tired by the end of the game, you wouldn't see a massive hit in their performance. A lot of NBA players can play an entire game and still be effective. If you watch a playoff game, or more specifically a Game 7, you're not going to see the superstars out of the game very much at all. But, guys can't play the whole game every game. That's why coaches have rotations throughout the season. You don't want to run your guys into the ground. You save those full-game performances for times when the team has to have it.

The problem in 2K, when it comes to online play, is that you're basically always playing a Game 7. There aren't any real consequences to running your guys into the ground because you aren't concerned if they'll have anything left for the next game. They're just going to reset back to 100% stamina as soon as the game is finished.

What I would like to see done is for 2K to carry over fatigue in online games, similar to how it is carried over in MyLeague. So, you play a game with Cleveland, never take Lebron out, and he's exhausted by the end of the game. The next time you play with Cleveland, Lebron may start the game at 85% stamina. If you run him into the ground that game, then he may start at 70% the next time. Not only would this encourage people to use their rotations, but it might encourage people to pick different teams a little more often. They'll probably still pick the 3-4 best teams, but maybe they won't run with the Warriors or Cavs every single time.

The potential pitfall you face with this is what do you do about games that disconnect? Does that game count towards a player's stamina? If so, what's to stop people from getting into a game, unplugging their router, causing a disconnect, and then starting a new game with their starters all fresh and rested?

Still, I think it's something that could work well if the exploits could be thought through and countered in some way.

Not a online player, but have to say this is a very good idea for online players if they could implement it in some way. No matter what there will always be online babies cryin about something. Your idea is one of the best Ive ever seen for those that play online, because as whole it seems onliners tend to play with the superstar teams, rather than actually play with the team they actually root for, although nowdays there are a ton of bandwagon fans that root for the superstar teams, lets be honest how many outside of the GS area actually were fans of that team until a few years ago. Not that Im knocking the Warriors, Ive been a fan of Curry since his college days and I always like Marc Jackson and Steve Kerr.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 08-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Just some dude...

BobbyColtrane's Arena

OVR: 15

My bigs are always getting tired too fast, I wonder if that will be addressed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 0

A little worried about this.

I've played a center, and I basically have to sprint up the court after an inbound, just to be part of the play.

Can we fix that please! Whoever is closest to the ball let them inbound, unless the team calls a timeout, then allow you to select the inbounder.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy59
I love this! I heard that excessive dribble moves will cause "Dribble fatigue" mentioned by Smoove in this video at around 1:30. He says: "When you try to many skill moves to often, the player has to recover for a second and dribble the ball real close to the bottom". I also hope stamina drain will affect overly aggressive defenders. That way people don't double team 24/7 and those who always play tight/deny defense will get worn down

I think there was an example of that in the Friction Trailer when Thomas appeared to lose control of the ball after a crossover.

I'm kind of nervous about fatigue not being connected to game performance. Going to have to see how 2k handles that.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 1

So let me get this right when you abuse turbo your players will slow down or not.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Yeah this....I've read all this before and people still turboed like it was nothing.
so true. I was excited, until I remembered that I have heard it before. we will see
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunky
So let me get this right when you abuse turbo your players will slow down or not.
Sounds to me like yes, they will fatigue much faster with turbo but will return fresh after substitutions, not time-outs. Not quite sure though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »