Home

Overdevelopment of the Three Point Shot In MyLeague

This is a discussion on Overdevelopment of the Three Point Shot In MyLeague within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #25
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Overdevelopment of the Three Point Shot In MyLeague

It's just silly because IRL, some players come into the league the best shooters that they can be and they don't really improve.

If you started a MyLeague on 2k15, Andrew Wiggins probably would have developed to an 80+ three by his third year. As you can see, that hasn't been the case.

Ricky Rubio came into the league a bad three point shooter and still is. For every guy that improves his jumper as he gets more experience in the league, there is a guy that stays the same or gets worse. 2k doesn't account for that, it's always just improvement no matter who the prospect is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #26
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
After reading this I put my
in-season training: 5
Regression: 19
Progression: 21

34 90+ 3 point shooters in 2018 and there are no rookies over 90. Player progression is hampered a bit and a bad season made a couple people regress by 1 point overall, but it's a good start

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Nice, the opposite end of the spectrum. Okay, so we've determined the extremes and it seems progression needs to be massively nerfed, the question than becomes how badly are we impacting the rookies/young players?

Can anyone ever reach their potential (assuming it's in the upper 80s/lower 90s but they entered the league at a 75)?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Nice, the opposite end of the spectrum. Okay, so we've determined the extremes and it seems progression needs to be massively nerfed, the question than becomes how badly are we impacting the rookies/young players?

Can anyone ever reach their potential (assuming it's in the upper 80s/lower 90s but they entered the league at a 75)?
Can't really guage. D'Angelo Russell for example dropped one point after breaking his foot during the 2016 season (don't know if theybare related) but Ben Simmons increased by 2 in the 2016, after winning Rookie of the Year (again, cant conclude if they are related)

I did not check progression after the 2nd season.

Last edited by de_jesus; 09-27-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #28
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
Can't really guage. D'Angelo Russell for example dropped one point after breaking his foot during the season (don't know if theybare related) but Ben Simmons increased by 2, after winning Rookie of the Year (again, cant conclude if they are related)

Running through a test myself, looking at Devon Booker, Deangelo Russell, Thon Maker, Jahill Okafor, and Jaylen Brown, listing where they are in 2018 and comparing it to what their potential says in relation to their peak starts.

Set in-season training effects to 10, Progression 30, Regression 27

In Oct. 2018, I have 38 90+ open shooters, not a bad number at all. Regression might need to be bumped up, we'll see, I think the fringe guys will fall off and that number will lower in 2019.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #29
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Running through a test myself, looking at Devon Booker, Deangelo Russell, Thon Maker, Jahill Okafor, and Jaylen Brown, listing where they are in 2018 and comparing it to what their potential says in relation to their peak starts.

Set in-season training effects to 10, Progression 30, Regression 27

In Oct. 2018, I have 38 90+ open shooters, not a bad number at all. Regression might need to be bumped up, we'll see, I think the fringe guys will fall off and that number will lower in 2019.
Thanks for testing this and attempting to find the sweet spot for these sliders. Saves me a ton of aggravation and time, and I already have too much of the former and not much of the latter.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #30
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Thanks for testing this and attempting to find the sweet spot for these sliders. Saves me a ton of aggravation and time, and I already have too much of the former and not much of the latter.
I want a good set as much as the next person, but these sliders didn't work.

As feared, nerfing player progression virtually eliminated all rookies from hitting their initial potential rating by the time they hit their peak start of 25. In Oct. 2021, no one hit there's.

Okafor got close with 83 (initial potential rating of 84), Simmons only got to 83 (his initial rating was 94), the only 76er to hit their initial rating by their peak age was Saric, as his potential was capped at 79 and hit it that exactly at his peak age.

Russel fell short of his, capping out at 84 (initial rating of 86). Ingram is only at 81 (with an initial potential of 89) at age 24, one year short of his peak start.

Brown only made it to 77 despite an initial potential rating of 82.

Maker didn't even sniff his. He capped off at 73 despite an initial potential rating of 84.

And the 3pt open rating has skyrocketed, now with 76 players in the league with an open 3pt rating 90 or above.

This is without accounting for injuries, morale, or chemistry -- straight ratings. It appears that the only way to allow rookies to actually progress is to bump up their progression slider, because 30 doesn't do it. Regression simply isn't nearly as impactful to the 3pt rating as progression is. I still have George Hill, Darren Collison, JR Smith, and Jerebko, in the league and above 90+ in 3pt rating, all players 34 or older at this point.

The only current solution I see is to "cull" the open 3pt rating via the global edit function at the beginning of every season. It appears that, no matter what set of sliders you use, the progression function will skew that rating no matter what -- even at the cost of keeping players from reaching their true potential despite 5 years of work.

It's possible upping in-season training effects high and keeping overall progression low will restore rookie progression, but I fear that'll only compound the open 3pt rating problem down the line.

My current conclusion is that this has to be tuned on the back end by the developers, there's nothing we can do via sliders it appears -- at least not without harming the leagues next crop of potential superstars.

EDIT:

And I used auto-generated draft classes with a quality of 35, so it wasn't like I was getting super-loaded drafts either, though I'm unsure how wildly this affected the overall numbers of open 3pt shooters above 90.

Last edited by trekfan; 09-27-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #31
Rookie

In my opinion, the best thing (for the future) would be if we get a Potential Rating/Cap for Shooting, which can be exceeded by a small margin (letīs say a guy has a Cap of 84 in 3Pt-Shooting, he could become a 86 if he has a Career Year in Shooting - just like Overall Potential works now I think).

Regression is not the solution, because for most players shooting skills does not regress that much with age, so if a guy is a 96 in 3Pt-Shooting, he should never fall under 90-92. Most players drop in FG% with age because their declining athleticism does not allow them to get that many open looks like in their prime.

As far as 2K17 goes, maybe the Devs can tune this a bit. And thankfully we now have the quick Edits (one of the best new features in the game).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 02:45 AM   #32
Rookie

iki319's Arena

"Every team except Houston has at least one player with 90+ open three"
What! As a Rockets fan, I am disgusted. Get this fixed 2k.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »