Home

The CPU is cheating to score on an absurd amount of possessions

This is a discussion on The CPU is cheating to score on an absurd amount of possessions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #25
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The CPU is cheating to score on an absurd amount of possessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime8992
I feel you man. It feels so cheap when you see the CPU pass to a shooter coming, and you switch and run at them to close out and the game legitimately does not let you move that direction, or gives you some weird delayed animation even though you're holding R2 and running at the shooter.

It's as bad as the inability to explode out of dribble moves into a wide open lane after you've created legitimate space.
It's one of several ways the game frequently sabotages users who correctly use the game's intended tools and mechanics to succeed. Those are all game design and implementation issues.

Last edited by LorenzoDC; 10-23-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 15

The sad thing is all these CPU boost's and User handicaps are programmed in the game for balance. 2K does not have a good grasp on their "team defensive" system. Because of this they build in artificial boosts and handicaps to mask these defensive deficiencies.

I think they've been doing this for several years, but users have now become more aware of the blatant issues. It seems to have gotten worse over the last two years.

I hope this can be fixed in a patch (doubtful), but it NEEDS to be #1 priority for 2K18.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #27
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

I had this happen to me a couple weeks ago. I wasn't going to post it, but since I'm seeing so many other examples, I might as well share.

In this clip, I'm backing up a bit because I know Kyrie is faster than me, but I try to get on his right side to force him left if he does decide to drive on me. Then out of nowhere, my player just jumps toward the sideline, allowing Kyrie to run right past me.

The part that bothers me the most is that I am trying to guard the way he's trying to drive, actually holding my joystick in that direction, but the game decides I'm going to "guess" wrong and moves me to the right like I got juked.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #28
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BegBy
Said one person ever. Fantastic physics? Really? Seriously?

It's hard to not take this as trolling. You can love the game and defend it (as you do) but there's a line where even the biggest fanboy's have to call a spade a spade, and the 2K physics engine is that line.
Not every opinion different from yours is trolling.

The rebounding physicality is a game changer. The off ball stuff is a tool that's been needed for years. There are bugs and it will get better.

The CPU does not cheat to win. Much of this is confirmation bias.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #29
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Not every opinion different from yours is trolling.

The rebounding physicality is a game changer. The off ball stuff is a tool that's been needed for years. There are bugs and it will get better.

The CPU does not cheat to win. Much of this is confirmation bias.
I have argued the CPU does not cheat to win, as you say. There's no code that assesses game score and changes attributes or outcomes based on that.

That said, I do believe, independent of game score, there is code and tuner adjustments in the game to support game balance that make it possible for the CPU to do and accomplish things the user cannot. At times, that will cause the game to select animations that impede or negate user inputs, which people look at and think the CPU is cheating.

Do you think that's accurate, or do you think that non user controlled coding is equivalent regardless of whether the team is user controlled or CPU controlled, keeping in mind that user teammates are not free to act or react off ball without the system trying to recognize what the user is doing?
Old 10-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #30
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
I have argued the CPU does not cheat to win, as you say. There's no code that assesses game score and changes attributes or outcomes based on that.

That said, I do believe, independent of game score, there is code and tuner adjustments in the game to support game balance that make it possible for the CPU to do and accomplish things the user cannot. At times, that will cause the game to select animations that impede or negate user inputs, which people look at and think the CPU is cheating.

Do you think that's accurate, or do you think that non user controlled coding is equivalent regardless of whether the team is user controlled or CPU controlled, keeping in mind that user teammates are not free to act or react off ball without the system trying to recognize what the user is doing?
The on.y time inexperienced that was when your player would make weak block attempts inside.nthst is gone now. I just dontvseecwhat you are referring to on any consistent basis. Although most loose balls go to them.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC

This X100000.

The developers have told us that there is no "comeback" code. And I believe this to be true. However, there is definitely a balance system in place to keep the games competitive. The CPU gets boosts and the User team gets handicapped as the game progressed.

This issue, for me, is most obvious with dribble drives as a User. You can get a mismatch wirh a big and blow by them at will. Then, all of a sudden, you can have the sans mismatch and your players dribble moves inputs will feel delayed, and the defenders get as sticky as a fly trap.

Hoefully this is removed with patch 5
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 0

Defense this year is pathetic. The A.I. is just terrible. There is a lot of issues with the gameplay that hurts this game from true greatness. That's why I can't play on ball this year because I have to constantly scan around and manually shift a player out of position back into position. Or when it looks like someone is a about to get beat on a back-cut or something I take over. It's really bad this year. I blame the devs. I just shake my head at this game sometimes.

Fastbreaks are terrible. Defensive players moving in warp speed to catch up and the offensive A.I. don't even feel the lanes properly. It's just a mess this year.

Last edited by MadManCometh; 10-23-2016 at 04:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »