Home

Ball Changing Directions Mid-Air

This is a discussion on Ball Changing Directions Mid-Air within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #33
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Ball Changing Directions Mid-Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
Those are highly discussed scripted situations where user is simply not allowed to have XY lead against CPU with XX:XX time left on the clock. Happens with blocks, rebounds, weird bounces and what not.
No, this is not it. This theory is not contributing anything, please stick to the subject.

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 11-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #34
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
This is a by-product of latency online. The flight of the ball is determined by how you release the shot (e.g. very late releases miss short vs. very early releases miss long). When there's lag, the information for how the ball should behave on a given shot might come through after the ball is already in flight so it needs to correct itself in mid-air to matchup with the user's original input.
Thanks. It's good to know the end result is still based on my original input.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #35
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Quote:
This is a by-product of latency online. The flight of the ball is determined by how you release the shot (e.g. very late releases miss short vs. very early releases miss long). When there's lag, the information for how the ball should behave on a given shot might come through after the ball is already in flight so it needs to correct itself in mid-air to matchup with the user's original input.
What about offline? I see it happening there as well. It's been a LONG time since I've seen it happen, but just wondering if online lag would affect offline play if you're connected to the servers?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #36
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
Beluba, thanks for joining. Can you also please explain this?
We used to have a bug where the ball would (rarely) get stuck indefinitely sitting on the rim... usually the back of the rim. If we detect that it's been there for too long, we give the ball a tiny push in a random direction to prevent it from getting stuck.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #37
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
What about offline? I see it happening there as well. It's been a LONG time since I've seen it happen, but just wondering if online lag would affect offline play if you're connected to the servers?

We use the same technique to launch the ball offline so I could see it happening there as well. Should be extremely rare though and probably only on very late releases.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #38
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Quote:
We use the same technique to launch the ball offline so I could see it happening there as well. Should be extremely rare though and probably only on very late releases.
Awesome! Thank you for the insight.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #39
Pro

Beluba, can you explain why my 6'10" Athletic Finisher cannot finish?

I watch a 6'3' sharp shooting pg dunk all the time, but my HOF AF can't even make a layup.
If there's any contact at all I get forced into a layup that every single time, even on green releases, gives me a "very late" release feedback and almost 80% of the time I'm getting blocked.
Even if I pump fake and get the guy to jump, he's able to jump again and block me anyway!

There is no point in having an athletic finisher that can't finish!
I'm forced to shoot jump shots if I want to score.

Another thing, I'm a 94 overall and I'm still unlocking upgrades!
I currently have 12 upgrades available and I'm working on 13.
I did not glitch or do anything other than do all of my practices.
I'm going to keep grinding these upgrades until it stops giving them to me.
I fear that I will be able to completely max out every upgrade bar before I stop receiving them.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #40
Pro

Ball Changing Directions Mid-Air

Use the force Luke!

On a serious note though relevant to the subject I am glad Beluba dropped in to share some insight on this but I feel like that answer isn't really what is happening because as stated this happens even when playing offline when there should be no lag.

There are already many cases that seem awfully like "scripting" or "pre-determined results" in certain scenarios, such as the CPU getting back on D after a shot is released before it goes in because they seem to know it will, or guys getting ready to box out as soon as the shot starts on the other hand because they already seem to know that this one will miss, the glitch where the scoreboard would update itself when the shot hasn't gone in (indicating the game already know it will although this has been patched) I've even heard commentators make remarks about something in the game such as a block or three pointer before it happens.

This is not a attack on Mike in anyway BTW I'm just saying that while that makes sense in online modes this is still something that happens offline along with a lot of other things that can be easily seen as "scripting". And would like to know why this may happen offline or why other things such as what I stated occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by E The Rhymer; 11-29-2016 at 02:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »