Home

Charles Barkley on why he isn't in 2K18

This is a discussion on Charles Barkley on why he isn't in 2K18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #41
Rookie

gu8lal8's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Charles Barkley on why he isn't in 2K18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleve07103
“What I’ve told them is, I don’t think we, as players, have ever done enough for the old veteran guys. I said if you’re going to use my likeness, you’re going to have to donate some money to the retired players’ association.”

“We’ve got a lot of guys who are struggling financially and struggling physically and what I’ve said is ‘you guys can’t use my likeness unless you give some money to the retired players.’”

“What I think would be fair is, if they gave a million dollars — and I’d even let them keep the tax write-off — if they gave a million dollars a year to the retired players association that went to a good cause — health plans or something like that or just gave them money to help them get on their feet, I’d let them use my likeness in a heartbeat.
It isn't the job of a video game producing company (2k in this case) to donate money to the retired players association, that's the job of the NBA (or the players association). Current players are making the kind of money they do because of the retired players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #42
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't think it's a sports gaming companies responsibility to do what the NBA is supposed to be doing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #43
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Strong arming a video game company to do what the NBA should do.

Yea that's not a role model. This is just some holier than thou passive aggressive move. As others have mentioned: $1M isn't fair compensation for one person to be in the game. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't pay either. The other 99% of the legends in the game must think the compensation is fair.

Not only this, 2K is actually contributing to the legends by giving them a yearly "bonus" by including them in the game every year.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #44
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellquist
Barkley is one of the reasons why I loved the Suns as a kid and one of the reasons why I moved to Arizona as an adult. He's has always been one of my favorite players.

However...

The NBA a few years ago implemented an NBA insurance policy that says if you played X amount of years you get free health insurance and other benefits. A lot of people were like, "yes! Barkley can now hush about retired players."

Now, here we are, 2017, still talking about this same issue. I applaud him for caring about retired players but come on. It's not 2K's responsibility to take care of grown *** men. I feel like this would be a handout. Once a player's career is over whatever they do is on them. If they blow their money it's their fault not 2K's.

Oh well...
Right on!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #45
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Doesn't matter . Think about it. What if every legend asked for a million dollar demand because of Barkley ? Kobe says donate a million dollars to X. Kareem says donate a million dollars to y. Scottie says donate a million dollars to Chicago schools. Allen Iverson says donate a million to the BIG3 League.

Right now 2k isn't using a million dollars to obtain their player likeness. Do you not see how this trend could possibly go ? Hell some players might say it's only fair that every legend get a MILLION DOLLAR DEMAND regardless if he is getting the money . Technically 2k is still paying a million dollars to use their likeness at the end of the day.
I agree with you. It's like those very few college players who whined about ncaa football now the series is gone because of them. They say, a few bad apples ruin the bunch.... I'm saying it. Barkley is a jerk. I can only dream of being in a video game. And money would be my least of concerns.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #46
Rookie

mrbigshot's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Strong arming a video game company to do what the NBA should do.

Yea that's not a role model. This is just some holier than thou passive aggressive move. As others have mentioned: $1M isn't fair compensation for one person to be in the game. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't pay either. The other 99% of the legends in the game must think the compensation is fair.

Not only this, 2K is actually contributing to the legends by giving them a yearly "bonus" by including them in the game every year.
i bet he's looking at all the riches jordan has from the game and thinking, "**** man, why can't I have all that, am i not worth as much as him?" Sorry chuck, but you aren't. you aren't the transcendent player michael was. you were to an extent, you were a gifted ball player, but if you asked who would we rather have, and you could only choose one to be in the game, people would pick jordan over barkley. that's the kind of presence jordan has. get over yourself barkley,seriously. you're not getting a million dollars, and if you've seen the CAP's in nba 2k17, you're likeness is practically in the game anyway. just give us the 93 suns without you and it will be like we got your *** for free.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellquist
Barkley is one of the reasons why I loved the Suns as a kid and one of the reasons why I moved to Arizona as an adult. He's has always been one of my favorite players.

However...

The NBA a few years ago implemented an NBA insurance policy that says if you played X amount of years you get free health insurance and other benefits. A lot of people were like, "yes! Barkley can now hush about retired players."

Now, here we are, 2017, still talking about this same issue. I applaud him for caring about retired players but come on. It's not 2K's responsibility to take care of grown *** men. I feel like this would be a handout. Once a player's career is over whatever they do is on them. If they blow their money it's their fault not 2K's.

Oh well...
Thanks for the info! I already thought 2k was not the one who should do something that the NBA is supposed to be doing, but now Barkley has no valid argument.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #48
MVP

midwestking100's Arena

So I guess we will never get Barkley or none of those Suns teams in the game....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »