Home

PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18?

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #17
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: PS4 Pro Upgrade Worth It for 2k18?

Just last week I took advantage of the same promo and purchased the PS4 Pro. I only have a 1080p tv so thus far I haven't noticed anything that stands out as being improved. My purchase was based on a few things:

- one this might be the best deal I am able to get on the Pro. Perhaps there will be something better during black Friday but with the promo and additional trade in items (a PS3 is didn't use, an extra PS4 controller, and some games) I only ended up paying about $120 for the upgrade.

- Even without a 4kTV it is reassuring to know that I will be playing the best possible version of games going forward whether it is better frame rate, slightly crisper images, or more (depending on patches). For example, when the Last Guardian came out I read about how inconsistent the frame rate was for standard PS4's but it was much better on the Pro. I like that I won't have to worry about those possible issues going forward.

- Lastly, eventually I do plan on getting a 4K tv when I find the right deal. I could have held off until then but it's nice to know that once I do upgrade my tv I'll be all set when it comes to gaming.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a 4K Blu Ray drive but I'm not too upset about it because it gives me an excuse to NOT feel than need to upgrade my Blu Ray library, which has grown rather large of the years.

If your 4K has true HDR I think the Pro is a no brainer. From everything I hear HDR is a difference maker.

Also this website has a comprehensive list of games with Pro patches and how the patch helps, or in some cases doesn't help. It also has a list of games without the Pro patch that benefit from the Boost mode to improve frame rates.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1324251
Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Just last week I took advantage of the same promo and purchased the PS4 Pro. I only have a 1080p tv so thus far I haven't noticed anything that stands out as being improved. My purchase was based on a few things:

- one this might be the best deal I am able to get on the Pro. Perhaps there will be something better during black Friday but with the promo and additional trade in items (a PS3 is didn't use, an extra PS4 controller, and some games) I only ended up paying about $120 for the upgrade.

- Even without a 4kTV it is reassuring to know that I will be playing the best possible version of games going forward whether it is better frame rate, slightly crisper images, or more (depending on patches). For example, when the Last Guardian came out I read about how inconsistent the frame rate was for standard PS4's but it was much better on the Pro. I like that I won't have to worry about those possible issues going forward.

- Lastly, eventually I do plan on getting a 4K tv when I find the right deal. I could have held off until then but it's nice to know that once I do upgrade my tv I'll be all set when it comes to gaming.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have a 4K Blu Ray drive but I'm not too upset about it because it gives me an excuse to NOT feel than need to upgrade my Blu Ray library, which has grown rather large of the years.

If your 4K has true HDR I think the Pro is a no brainer. From everything I hear HDR is a difference maker.

Also this website has a comprehensive list of games with Pro patches and how the patch helps, or in some cases doesn't help. It also has a list of games without the Pro patch that benefit from the Boost mode to improve frame rates.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1324251
HDR is great but I don't think 2k displays HDR the way it is intended to. PLay something like Horizon and you will see the difference.

Also, get a 4k tv and you will notice it immediately

Last edited by BehindtheArc88; 09-14-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I got u

Ku290 is not a true HDR Tv ,you won't get the full benefits . It does display HDR content just not too the full potential . Turn off HDR+ mode. Don't ever look at it again. Enable game mode. Go to picture / settings / expert settings. You should see HDMI UHD color . Turn it on for HDMI 1 and make sure your PS4 is in HDMI 1. Now go back to your PS4 and test for HDR again.
You sir, are a legend. It worked! Now it says HDR on my TV is 2K/4K supported! I can't thank you guys enough for the advice and the help. Yet another example of why I love this community. I can't wait to test out 2k18 in all its glory!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #20
Pro

I was able to pre-load the game and run one of those 10 minute scrimmages with the Cavs and Warriors before going to work. I was STUNNED at the visual detail. I've never seen a game like this, especially a sports game. I know my TV is only mid-level, but it still looks spectacular. The detail on the faces, jerseys and shoes left my jaw hanging open. Thanks again for helping me out guys. The PS4 Pro purchase was DEFINITELY worth it. I'm so excited to run a bunch of real games in the morning. Happy 2K day!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #21
MVP

Poke's Arena

OVR: 1

Great investment in general but I can't vouch for just one game.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »