Home

Those of you with small centers, how many big centers have you stopped so far?

This is a discussion on Those of you with small centers, how many big centers have you stopped so far? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Those of you with small centers, how many big centers have you stopped so far?

I clipped a longer version of that homicide, which includes the aftermath reaction animations:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/jyoungAD/video/38147988

That 7'3" cheeseball's head hit the wood so hard he got whiplash and a concussion.

Last edited by jyoung; 10-22-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
Rookie

Schiltzenberger's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Those of you with small centers, how many big centers have you stopped so far?

My guy is a 6'11" 276lbs rebounding athletic finisher. I usually don't have any dramas playing against the 7'3" 350lbs monsters.
Just a lot of boxing out and right stick defense..... scoring against them isn't too hard either, just depends on how they use their guy as to how you can attack them.

Although, if I were to start over and build a new centre I'd probably go 7'3" 350lbs pure athletic finisher.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

One thing you can try is not jumping for rebounds. If you're with a team, and you can get them to hit the boards, then your best bet is to try to push that 7-3 Center as far away from the goal as possible and just block out when the ball comes off the rim. You won't get many rebounds, but as long as your opponent isn't getting offensive rebounds and immediately dunking on your team, you're doing your job. And even if he does still get the board, if you held your ground instead of jumping, he's usually far enough away from the basket that he has to put the ball on the ground and make a move to score. That time gives your teammates the opportunity to help you out. If you give up your ground though, you're going to get dunked on before anyone can do anything about it.

Also, when I'm guarding someone who isn't an outside shooter (I'm a 3&D SG), I try to sag off and get into position so that I can block that 7-3 Center out myself. That leaves my Center free to go grab the rebound. And again, I don't even bother jumping. I just hold L2, point the left stick toward my opponent, and hold my ground as best I can. You can get some over-the-backs called on them doing this as well.

You need to be able to coordinate with your teammates to make any of this work though. And even then, if a 7-3 Center manages to get deep position in the paint when the shot goes up, you're pretty much screwed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Am I a cheesehead for creating a 7'3 340 beast even if he's a rebounding rim protector? I created this guy specifically to play against other behemoths. I knew many would go big but I value defense more than offense.

He can't dominate on offense but if I get inside he can either dunk or do those weak layups where I fall down and complain to an invisible ref.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 02:34 AM   #13
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I think the cheese claim is mostly related to how unrealistic/rare the build is in the NBA. But that's arguable for a few of the position's max height and weight combos I guess.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
Rookie

I have a 6'11 shot creating post scorer I've been primarily using since the game came out.

He's only 240 lbs too, so I'd assume he's a small center in regards to the average physical stats of 2k.

I'm roughly 100-10 in the park with him so far (most losses were due to my idiot teammates). I've gotten bodied probably 3-4 times by 7'3 guys with HOF badges but I didn't even have Gold at that time.

Only problem with my build is he's a Bronze in:
Defensive Stopper
Rim Protector
Hustle Rebounder
(I should've made a C I know, didn't know the badges at the time)

so occasionally, I'll get out rebounded/scored on when I probably shouldn't but more than likely, I can defend a bigger/stronger guy successfully and efficiently.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with my build - I know I should be consistently and noticeably faster than the 7'3 340 lb guys, I'm not, but it is what it is.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:33 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
I think the cheese claim is mostly related to how unrealistic/rare the build is in the NBA. But that's arguable for a few of the position's max height and weight combos I guess.
There are only two 7'3" bigs who get a decent amount of playing time in the NBA right now, and one of them weighs 290 pounds (Boban Marjanovic), while the other weighs 240 pounds (Kristaps Porzingis).

The majority of the league's centers stand between 6'11" -- 7'1" and weigh between 240 -- 275 pounds.

IMO those are the only heights and weights that NBA 2K18 should have allowed for online MyPlayer modes like Park and Pro-Am.

I do believe that people should be allowed to make whatever they want for for MyCareer, with no restrictions on height, weight, or wingspan.

But a mode like Pro-Am shouldn't allow max wingspan, 7'3" 340-pound MyPlayers given all of the gameplay imbalances those builds create on the court.

The strength, dunking, and rebounding advantages that 7'3" 340 MyPlayers get is tremendous compared to centers who have more realistic heights and weights in the ranges that I listed above.

Yet the speed, quickness, and jumping disadvantages that 7'3" 340 MyPlayers are supposed to have are not visible at all in Pro-Am right now. Max height/weight MyPlayers have no trouble running stride for stride up and down the court right alongside my 6'8" 240 small forward who is rated a 70 in speed and acceleration. Whenever I am hedging out on their screens, max height/weight MyPlayer are able to explode out of the screen animation and run to the rim like they were prime Karl Malone.

The reason that every Pro Am team has at least 1, and often 2, max height/weight MyPlayers is because they have no real gameplay disadvantages in the current slider set compared to shorter/lighter big men.

Last edited by jyoung; 10-24-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2017, 05:27 AM   #16
Banned

I had a small center last year, big center this year. Small has some advantages I'd say in Park, easier to rotate and recover. But in pro-am, a big center is like Shaq with those unique size advantages. Definitely glad I went the maxxed out center route this year, because play style wise, there's going to be a lot more situations where bruising and fighting for inside and rebounding position will outweigh speed advantages.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »