Home

Those of you with small centers, how many big centers have you stopped so far?

This is a discussion on Those of you with small centers, how many big centers have you stopped so far? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Those of you with small centers, how many big centers have you stopped so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
There are only two 7'3" bigs who get a decent amount of playing time in the NBA right now, and one of them weighs 290 pounds (Boban Marjanovic), while the other weighs 240 pounds (Kristaps Porzingis).

The majority of the league's centers stand between 6'11" -- 7'1" and weigh between 240 -- 275 pounds.

IMO those are the only heights and weights that NBA 2K18 should allow for online MyPlayer modes like Park and Pro-Am.

I do believe that people should be allowed to make whatever they want for for MyCareer, with no restrictions on height, weight, or wingspan.

But a mode like Pro-Am shouldn't allow max wingspan, 7'3" 340-pound MyPlayers given all of the gameplay imbalances those builds create on the court.

The strength, dunking, and rebounding advantages that 7'3" 340 MyPlayers get is tremendous compared to centers who have more realistic heights and weights in the ranges that I listed above.

Yet the speed, quickness, and jumping disadvantages that 7'3" 340 MyPlayers are supposed to have are not visible at all in Pro-Am right now. Max height/weight MyPlayers have no trouble running stride for stride up and down the court right alongside my 6'8" 240 small forward who is rated a 70 in speed and acceleration. Whenever I am hedging out on their screens, max height/weight MyPlayer are able to explode out of the screen animation and run to the rim like they were prime Karl Malone.

The reason that every Pro Am team has at least 1, and often 2, max height/weight MyPlayers is because they have no real gameplay disadvantages in the current slider set compared to shorter/lighter big men.
Agreed this is the biggest problem. I imagine in testing when the speed was set at a reasonable level, that they found these big guys never even made it down court most of the time so they tweaked how speed worked. But it sucks. If you want to make a plodding Goliath, your team should have to wait for you if they want you to post up.

I was playing in walk on and a 7+ center got the board and started bringing it up the court, and I was barely passing him with my 80 speed SG. And he had the ball! This is the same guy whose entire routine was to stand under the rim, have the PG pass him the ball and have him dunk it. Then the other side had basically the exact same player, and they'd do the exact same thing.

The PG ended up with 13 assists, the center ended up with 30 points, and the only other guy who touched the ball was a unlimited range sharpshooter cheaser.

Makes me never want to play walk on again.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Those of you with small centers, how many big centers have you stopped so far?

Biggest issue is that players doesn't know how to rebound as a team. If players do their boxout, it won't be that hard to win the rebounds. Also most people doesn't know how to use their body at off ball defense, to keep big guys out of paint. At the end of the day, big centers ain't that overpower if you and you're team know's what they are doing. I am 6'8, 250 lbs Small Forward and i'm able to play as a center against 7'3 center, without getting burned at post. Sometimes center's get frustrated and start to take stupid fouls because i don't give them chance to bully me at the post. All depends on your teammates and if you need to save their *** on defense at every play, you don't have much chance for win.

Last edited by Dankoz; 10-25-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:46 AM   #19
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I say this every year but I have no idea why 2k still allows 7’3 centers. Max should be 7’1. That alone would create a legit skill gap.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 10-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

Try the controller settings below ...

Intense D Assist - 15

Box Out Assist Strength - 0 (at default, the AI will suck you into a crowd trying to ensure contact instead of just boxing out at your current location ... which gives bigger bigs an advantage under the rim)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #21
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

There needs to be a bigger difference in terms of speed. Absolutely no reason that my 7'2" 220 pound rim protector/athletic finisher shouldn't be able to outrun a 7'3" 340 pound center down the court. I'm 120 pounds lighter than him.

I've resorted to using my 6'10" 250 pound small forward sharp/slasher against bigs because he actually has enough speed to beat them down the court and he's strong enough to box them out on the boards. There's no incentive to choose lower weight bigs, at all.

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #22
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I say this every year but I have no idea why 2k still allows 7’3 centers. Max should be 7’1. That alone would create a legit skill gap.
I don't think the problem is the height they allow, it's that they allow 7'3" guys to do incredible things at lower ratings.

Not every 7'3" guy should be able to become Godzingis. Most guys that tall end up being players like Boban Marjanović and Walter Tavares, which means they're slow, can barely jump and have next to no post moves outside of dunking. If you're an 82 overall 7'3" guy, you should literally only be good at rebounding, blocks and dunking from under the basket.

I say they just nerf the heck out of anyone taller than 7'1" so you're unable to get any gold/hof badges outside of rebounds and blocks. That'd really reel in the amount of huge guys.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I would love to wake up one day and see everyone who made a max height max weight MyPlayer shrunken down to 7'1" 275 with default wingspan.

I think that would solve a lot of this game's balancing issues when it comes to defense, rebounding, and most of the shenanigans that happen inside the paint.

But I don't know if 2K has the ability to change the physical traits of people's MyPlayers. I do know that they have the power to change people's attribute ratings since they did that last year to everyone who glitched their way to becoming a 98 overall MyPlayer without having the appropriate rep level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
There needs to be a bigger difference in terms of speed. Absolutely no reason that my 7'2" 220 pound rim protector/athletic finisher shouldn't be able to outrun a 7'3" 340 pound center down the court. I'm 120 pounds lighter than him.

There's no incentive to choose lower weight bigs, at all.
All of the athleticism ratings (speed, acceleration, lateral quickness, vertical) need to matter more on the court.

A player who's 100 pounds lighter than a max weight player should be noticeably better at all of those athletic categories, in the same way that a player with 90+ strength can currently bully a player who has 70 or 60 strength.

Like you, I see no difference at all on the court in any of those athleticism categories when comparing max weight bigs to realistically proportioned bigs.

I'd also like to see that super fast roll to the basket animation either taken out of the game or just limited to power forwards and centers who are under seven feet tall. When you give that animation to a 7'3" screen setter, the animation lets them move their body much faster than it normally would if they were just running around upright.

A significantly shorter and lighter defender should be able to hedge out pretty far from a 7'3" 340 screen setter and still be able to beat the behemoth back to the rim, but the super fast roll animation prevents that scenario from playing out like it should.

Last edited by jyoung; 10-27-2017 at 07:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »