Home

Either Nerf Layups or the Hip-Riding Animation!

This is a discussion on Either Nerf Layups or the Hip-Riding Animation! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Either Nerf Layups or the Hip-Riding Animation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Don't worry I got you. My cousin in this video. I literally just showed him in 2kU how to do the step back. I don't mind the step back in any of these videos because at the time. Driving to the rim for layup success was pretty low at that time. So even he knew it wouldn't work that often. But with the recent change more layups are going in. We can't have both.

Not quite what I'm experiencing. In fact, I'm watching your vidoes and WISH my opponents played like that, lol. I don't mind chaining moves, and I get beaten on a bad steal attempt, or being out of position from a well-timed stepback. My opponents are literally turboing into me for the riding animation. In your NYK/Nets clip, it kinda showed it, but I think that was more of the player thinking he had a clear driving lane then changed their mind against it. However, the clip does show how the hip-riding animation starts once the ball handler makes contact with the defender.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

played one PNO game after the update and was like nah. been happily offline since. with park on occasion. at least with park i know what im getting. Didnt feel like playing park with nba players, which is what it felt like.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
This exactly why layups should have NEVER been buffed.

Does anyone think the hip-riding animation is OP? When combined with the zig-zag, it seems like the animation kicks in very quick, and you end up riding the player all the way to basket (not by choice in some cases). Depending on your defensive settings, the defense may collapse, but if it doesn't it almost like giving up a "free" layup to certain players (Rose, Harden, Durant, etc).

For me, it's a fine line of being cheesy to being a realistic basketball play. Basically, my opponent will call a screen, zig-zag behind the screen a couple of times, then just takes off. When BUGS me most about the hip-riding animation is that my opponent is not chaining moves together. He literally turbos forward at an angle, and my defender is taken for the ride. I don't if it's a play or some odd tendency, but the screener (normally the center) actually stays at the 3PT line which forces me to pull the PF over to defend the rim. I use the normal "Gap" and "Leave Him" options, but my center is never close enough to the basket to make a play on the ball. When I switch the positions of the PF/C, then they use the pick and roll with the opposite big to make sure that my center is always away from the basket. If I switch Paul George to the offender, then they just start using the next best player which ends up being a rinse/repeat of the same tactic.

It's annoying as hell, because I feel that the ease of the hip-riding animation gives the offense the advantage of pulling a defender with them while having no fear of missing a layup, but maybe getting a foul if they take the shot. And once again...if it wasn't for damn layup buff this wouldn't be an issue. I only started seeing this more and more after they buffed the layups.
Its the reason why 5 out was so effective. All you need to do is run into the person to trigger the animation and its a made basket.

Problem is though, you can't hold anyone from passing you though. If someone is faster than you, they will blow by you regardless. If they're aren't, the animation shouldn't trigger.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
Pro

Fakename22's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
This exactly why layups should have NEVER been buffed.

Does anyone think the hip-riding animation is OP? When combined with the zig-zag, it seems like the animation kicks in very quick, and you end up riding the player all the way to basket (not by choice in some cases). Depending on your defensive settings, the defense may collapse, but if it doesn't it almost like giving up a "free" layup to certain players (Rose, Harden, Durant, etc).

For me, it's a fine line of being cheesy to being a realistic basketball play. Basically, my opponent will call a screen, zig-zag behind the screen a couple of times, then just takes off. When BUGS me most about the hip-riding animation is that my opponent is not chaining moves together. He literally turbos forward at an angle, and my defender is taken for the ride. I don't if it's a play or some odd tendency, but the screener (normally the center) actually stays at the 3PT line which forces me to pull the PF over to defend the rim. I use the normal "Gap" and "Leave Him" options, but my center is never close enough to the basket to make a play on the ball. When I switch the positions of the PF/C, then they use the pick and roll with the opposite big to make sure that my center is always away from the basket. If I switch Paul George to the offender, then they just start using the next best player which ends up being a rinse/repeat of the same tactic.

It's annoying as hell, because I feel that the ease of the hip-riding animation gives the offense the advantage of pulling a defender with them while having no fear of missing a layup, but maybe getting a foul if they take the shot. And once again...if it wasn't for damn layup buff this wouldn't be an issue. I only started seeing this more and more after they buffed the layups.
Can you name the mode please. It seems the first 2 pages are cluttered with mycareer and park complaints that gets titled like its about the overall game.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
But my offline friends would use the animation to get to the step-back jumper or cross over.
Played against a dude who did this exclusively with Paul George. The animation would pull him 3 feet back and push me 3 feet back no matter what I did, even when I knew it was coming and started to move in the direction he would step back in before he started the move.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #14
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
Nerfing layups would be best. I'm not sure I completely trust them to properly balance the hip riding animations, I really do like it as is due to opening up the drive n kick game, but I realize that online it gives more options for cheese.
And yup that's the problem. The animation is a great addition. I don't think anyone hates it. It's just that the options on defense aren't there. Unless that many people are missing something.

I can deal with the step back. It's just hip ride into layup that goes down. Those layups shouldn't go in.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Said it from the jump...it was a delicate balance that (IMO) was working....making guys have to account for their layup timing made guys at least have to THINK about driving into crowds....

Raising the % on lay up' s predictably threw things out if whack....My thing is, by the time they buffed It, people were starting to get accustomed to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #16
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Said it from the jump...it was a delicate balance that (IMO) was working....making guys have to account for their layup timing made guys at least have to THINK about driving into crowds....

Raising the % on lay up' s predictably threw things out if whack....My thing is, by the time they buffed It, people were starting to get accustomed to it.
Exactly!!! They never gave the first set enough of a chance. It's like the iPhone X. People are going to have trouble with it. But just give them time to learn.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »