Home

What 2k considers "good contests"

This is a discussion on What 2k considers "good contests" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #81
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: What 2k considers "good contests"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Was this against the A.I ? They have a stronger contest for even out of position. If it’s a user then idk .
Nope that's PNO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #82
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Thoughts on this being considered 'Heavy Contested'?

https://streamable.com/qipwt

Definitely shouldn't be a heavy contest. Ben Simmons is on the side of the shooter, and Ben gets his hand up after the ball is released. Should be a open look imo.

Bu the weird thing, at least between game modes. In Pro AM the go to is shooting 3's in the Ai defenders face. I dont know if this is because Gold/Silver dead eye is so strong or what, but it seems inconsistent and faulty how contests like that are heavily contested while shooting 3's in Pro Am with Dead Eye makes the slightest space and "Open" shot

Last edited by shayellis; 12-18-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #83
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
I don't see that as a heavy contest. Simmons got his hand up AFTER the shot was released, and he wasn't in his airspace when the shot was being taken.

So I think I'd probably just stick with lightly contested because of Simmons's proximity and the shooter knowing he had to get it off ASAP, but no higher than lightly contested because Simmons didn't do much to alter the release, just pressured the shooter to get it off fast.
Quote:
Pretty much how I feel. It registered as a heavy contest though.

The logic just seems inconsistent unless there's something else taking effect here that I'm not factoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
Yep. And if you told me in that video that shot registered as "open" I wouldn't be surprised either.
For that to be called a heavy contest, just underscores how erratic and inconsistent the logic of this game is.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #84
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
For that to be called a heavy contest, just underscores how erratic and inconsistent the logic of this game is.
Ok... I'll ask the question.... What is Ben Simmons Shot contest rating now?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #85
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Ok... I'll ask the question.... What is Ben Simmons Shot contest rating now?
It's 77, even if it was 99 that play there simply should not be heavy contested shot. You can say that it's light contested to make for a more defensive game, but alluding to what ph33 said, for an NBA shooter, that could almost be considered open.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #86
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I'm still trying to figure out how to use the 2004 Pistons correctly. So much of their offense was predicated by off-ball screens and taking advantage of narrow openings. It seems like I'm getting the openings I want but the game isn't calling them what I find them to be. Knockdown mid-range jumpers with Richard Hamilton are still being considered heavily contested or smothered even though he has a step or two on his defender (or if the defender is behind and out of the play by real life standards). It's pretty frustrating.

Most recently, Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups combined to shoot 17-48 in an overtime loss to the 2005 Suns.

I found I have the most success with the Pistons when I play "2K ball", where I sprint up the floor and either pull up for three or ram my way into the paint. Not a lot of fun. I'd definitely support a tweak to the offline shot-contest system.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I found this shot to be totally kosher. He lost his defender and found himself a clean look. A real-life gunner would very well see the same result. Then again, I know online gaming is a different world and there have to be some artificial checks & balances sometimes.
Watch this clip below... I even come off those screen and shoot floaters over bigs. Depends on who I'm playing. Some times the screeners man will come out and contest. I wait for my defender to clear or switch and then I have a one on one with slow footed defender.

Also
Spoiler

Last edited by jeebs9; 12-18-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #87
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
You came to the right place. Because I've been playing with 2001 Sixers (Iverson) and 1998 Pacers (Miller) and the 2004 Pistons. I can show you want the plays are. But for me it's above reading the defense.

If the defender is cheating you use lead passing to move the receiver into a better position.The other thing is if the lane is open. Don't shoot a jumper. Driving into that lane!! lol

Quote:
Watch this clip below... I even come off those screen and shoot floaters over bigs. Depends on who I'm playing. Some times the screeners man will come out and contest. I wait for my defender to clear or switch and then I have a one on one with slow footed defender.

Also
Spoiler
I appreciate your insight. And I do not mean to sound pompous or anything but I understand how to utilize a player coming off a screen in the game of basketball. But that's also kind of the problem. NBA 2K18 seems to allow me to execute my strategy in a very similar fashion to real life. I get the space that, by most accounts, would be considered an open look but then I get dinged with a "Heavily Contested", even if the defender doesn't approach the shooter until the ball is just about released.

Moreover, not to split hairs (and again, I appreciate your examples) but I feel I must clarify that I play offline against the computer. I only mention this because the wide open gaps you were seeing off of those screens in the clips provided often seemed to be a result of another user making a slight error in judgment. In many instances, the computer seems to defend screens a little tighter and with less range of error than user counterparts. The potential advantages are still there, except light contests seem to be often triggering as heavy.

I understand the best way to illustrate my issue may be to go record some examples and try to upload them here. That said, I believe 24's "Heavily Contested" example below provides pretty good insight into the issue I'm having.

Quote:

Last edited by VDusen04; 12-18-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #88
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
To be fair, while I dont understand the contst logic as far as feedback goes, I do feel like the context of the shot overrides it more often than not...the shot in the video going in for instance. Getting the feedback correct is important though...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »