Home

Footplanting and Momentum

This is a discussion on Footplanting and Momentum within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Footplanting and Momentum

Why didnt you start the clip from the beginning of the play instead of halfway when curry is already driving?? You cant really tell what Sexton was doing before that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #26
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11

Lmao look closely at Sexton’s feet, they’re almost floating on the court.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #27
Pro

JoFri's Arena

I like that this is being brought up and hope 2K can note it and consider this for the separation animations. Thanks OP.

I have seen momentum effected in-game (not sure abt 19 cos I havent gotten the game yet) as a user control. For instance, I was playing offball guarding CJ and fighting off offball screens. Those screens caught me and slowed me down in catching up with CJ. CJ was supposed to catch and shoot at the elbow but instead changed direction and sprinted to the key. I didnt expect it so when I changed direction, I felt a "suck-in" animation at the elbow area and change of direction (as the offball defender) wasnt instant.

At first I was frustrated, but then this is how it is irl. I actually like it.

I am hopeful 2K can implement it for onball defense with the trailing defender to be a second slower at sudden stop and a second slower to lift his foot for shot contest. The trailing defender should be sprinting hard to chase down Curry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #28
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

I'm not saying anything about the decision to do a stepback. Like I said, I was testing some things. I wasn't trying to play super smart basketball.

One of the things I was testing was momentum. Not having footplanting is ugly, but as long as the results are realistic, I can live with it. But when guys slide into position, ignoring the laws of physics, I see that as an issue.

The game can do it right. This is an almost identical scenario. Beat Sexton with the first step, get his momentum going chasing me, and step back to create the space. In the first example, he doesn't slow down to change directions, he just magically does it. In this clip, he actually plants and stops himself, which gives me the space I expected to have in the first clip. It was from a full sprint both times.

The problem is that it's inconsistent. Here is a steal where we're both running full sprint. Again, I slam on the brakes and step back, and he doesn't even slow down before changing directions; he stops on a dime and is ready to defend. He ran too far past me before I did the stepback, and that is the only reason the shot wasn't contested.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #29
Pro

Looks to me that he had 2 full steps to slow down after you stopped your momentum. In your 2nd example How many do you want him to take?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
Looks to me that he had 2 full steps to slow down after you stopped your momentum. In your 2nd example How many do you want him to take?
exactly... there are alot of folks acting delusional because the other game emphasized foot planting.
"look how could he stop on a dime". "look he recovered to quickly", "look the defender is floating".

if you all want slower reactions they are in the sliders. slow down lateral quickness and player movement sliders.

2k16 and titles before that had great foot planting. again sacrifices were made for responsiveness and smoothness.

foot planting is a mess in the other game in alot of situations.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #31
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
He didn't slow down though; he went from full sprint to full stop. That's the issue. There is no penalty for the momentum he had going forward.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
exactly... there are alot of folks acting delusional because the other game emphasized foot planting.
"look how could he stop on a dime". "look he recovered to quickly", "look the defender is floating".

if you all want slower reactions they are in the sliders. slow down lateral quickness and player movement sliders.

2k16 and titles before that had great foot planting. again sacrifices were made for responsiveness and smoothness.

foot planting is a mess in the other game in alot of situations.
I just want realistic reactions based on momentum and physics. A guy should not be able to change directions on a dime from a full sprint, period. I said I'm fine with the animations not showing proper footplanting as long as the outcome is realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »