Home

Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

This is a discussion on Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #25
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Is 2K driving people to abandon playing bigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilteapot
Yep, pretty much my shot creating post scoring big is useless online since everyone wants to shoot threes.

On that note, who wants to run with me? lol
I mean, what system. People in 18 got mad cause my 2 favorite ICONS were L2 and Triangle. I'd rather feed a good big then watch the dribble dance 3. Guaranteed points, short controlled rebounds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Operation Sports mobile app

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
I mean, what system. People in 18 got mad cause my 2 favorite ICONS were L2 and Triangle. I'd rather feed a good big then watch the dribble dance 3. Guaranteed points, short controlled rebounds.

PS4

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Story of my life right here . I meant to mention to you in the other thread. It’s something seriously off about catching the ball in stride .

My slashing post player catches the ball and then stops . Idk why but I’ve noticed that’s what is causing me to not dunk on catches. I have to catch the ball — then turbo some more and then attempt the dunk . That way I won’t get that ugly standing layup as much .

Problem with this is it gives the defense time to recover.
That would make sense. Usually I’m pressing shoot as I catch the ball and these slow lay ups drive me crazy. The problem is, the opening is so slim. I don’t even know if I could take another step in most of those videos. Maybe I’ll just try to delay hitting the button until after I catch the ball. Hard though because it’s all muscle memory at this point.

The problem is, like that one guy said in that other thread, you bungle a couple of these and you pretty much get frozen out unless your team sucks. I’m shooting 64% in Rec and honestly I almost never force it. When a good Pure Sharp is shooting over 50% they’re kinda right not to use you. I’m 4/6 on 3s with a 52 rating lol.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:31 AM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
So, I made the 'mistake' of starting this year with a PF, SC/Post. Like a lot of people I saw the good ratings and badges and thought it would make a nice blend of skills, especially with supposedly improved post play in 2k19.

What I have discovered though is that due to the inability to finish inside, glacial post moves, and the ease of scoring 3s and transition, that bigs are more worthless than ever unless you want to play a pure rebounder.

So after getting my guy to 90, I abandoned him and started a PG. With my PF, I could go into rec and get a game almost immediately, but with my PG, %95 of the time I go in and its me and 2 wings waiting for 5-10 minutes without success to get the 4 and 5 spot filled.

This tells me no one wants to play bigs anymore.

There is an argument that the NBA itself is de-emphasizing big men so 2K19 is just following the trends. Here's the problem though. 2K19's build system isn't flexible enough to create a 2018 big man. You can't make a Draymond Green, an Anthony Davis, a KAT, or a KP. Heck, even Durant is essentially a PF or C now. You can only make one dimensional stretches, rebounders, dive men and post scorers. While there are definitely some players that like to play dunking rebounders, the scarcity of them in rec tells me that they are in the minority.

If 2K wants to really reflect the modern NBA, we need more flexibility on big men. Look at a playmaking shot creator or slashing shot creator. Those guards/wings can do a bit of everything. Maybe not as well as their real life counterparts, but you can at least create a multi dimensional shooting/passing/driving threat. You can't do that 'well' with a big. And if you try, the 7'3" pure rebounder is going to get 25 boards on you. (I can't recall Draymond Green getting destroyed by Dwight Howard or Clint Capella every matchup.)

Is 2K even aware of the death of the big man in their game? Do they care? It seems like for it to be viable going forward they need people playing all 5 positions.
I agree and disagree. Inside scoring this year is a bit of a lottery and lacking in satisfaction/reward for doing the right things, and understanding/punishment for doing the wrong things. That said, you have one of the best builds in the game, and should be able to dominate. With HoF difficult shots and gold midrange deadeye, post hops/stepbacks and other shots that create space from your defender should be your go to moves; you need to take the battle away from under the rim. Hit a few of those, get takeover, then just bully them with post spins and dropsteps.

The life of a random post scorer is a difficult one, you'll take a lot of L's at the start as teammates treat you like a leper, but eventually you'll find some dudes who will fit with you and you'll go from there.

Seriously, your build is great; I have a pure post scorer, but if I was to make another big this year it would be yours. Just practice those hop shots in your court - you want to get used to the timings on post hops 1 or 10 as they seem to be the most effective/create the most space.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
Well the bigs in the NBA are pretty much a thing of the past. If you look at it there’s not many post up bigs in the NBA. They’re all face ups now. The adapted players shoot 3s just like guards. No big gets a call for a post up anymore except for maybe Boogie, AD & Aldridge, so it’s not 2Ks fault for the online community not wanting a big to dominate.

I say that to say post scoring is near unstoppable this year. Post hop fades are hard to guard. The drop steps are deadly if you use them. Stretch bigs are just as good as pure sharps. Athletic finishers lethal. But Park is run & gun. 3s in Park is just like a 3 in the NBA. Why take a 2 if you can get a 3?

I wouldn’t say bigs are dead but the meta/winning formula has always been a primary ball handler/scorer, a shooter & a defender/rebounder build. It won’t change.

I don’t really understand the dilemma tho. If you are a big IRL your job would be to set hard screens, space the floor, grab rebounds & finish at the rim & protect the rim, right?
Embiid, KAT, Porzingis and Jokic post up a lot, Embiid was 2nd in the league in points in the post. The problem with the game more than anything else is the extreme percentages people can make threes at, we've arrived at a point in this game where the tuning is so messed up that a 28 foot three is going in more reliably than a contested standing layup. Hashmark threes are part of the 2k experience, and you can shoot 70-80% from there which in reality it's like a 25-28% shot. The post, whether it's the low post or the mid post (Kevin Durant's office) is still a very real part of NBA offenses, do you see anyone using the mid-post in pro-am? Nope, cause the spacing is so jacked up that the middle of the floor is dead, meanwhile the Warriors really do use Durant's mid-post as part of their offense when they need a bucket.

This game does a terrible job of really replicating where basketball is going, like OP pointed out you can't make any versatile bigs, there's zero chance you can make a Horford, Draymond, Porzingis etc. You can't make bigs that are 3 level scorers, even though there's several in the NBA, you can't play from the mid or high post cause everyone can recover due to the small court etc.

Last edited by ASAP Floppy; 09-24-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight

Sorry I left ya. Haha.

There are still bigs in the NBA with elite post skill sets even if they aren't a go to scorer. You know, passing is an elite post skill.

I think it's bad to rationalize bigs being objectively worse by saying well they are in the NBA too. Every team needs dirty work guys. Nobody wants to do it. I enjoy it. But it is annoying to watch the putback you worked so hard to grab (after not getting the ball all game) roll off the rim. That's why being a big sucks. It's like the game expects you to rebound and kick back out every time. Which is cool, I like assists. But why can't we just finish? The way 2k handles congestion in the paint means when everyone is in there trying to dreb and you get an oreb you're not in as good of a position to put it back in as you should be.

Balance is important and in a game trumps reality. If there are all time wet Shooters, there need to be all time great finishing bigs. And post scoring.

I say this without ever trying 19 but I can't believe it's changed so much. Dudes need to realize what a thankless job being a good big is, good meaning playing the right way. Give us some touches. If we wanna jack a fade away or accidentally bounce the ball off the back of the backboard cuz we are so giddy we finally got the ball, you need to just keep looking for us.

-Smak
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #31
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
As a shot creating post scorer I have to say that big men can absolutely be as versatile as the names mentioned in this thread, but in order to do so the user needs to play with a high IQ and skill level. I made a post scorer for a couple reasons, one being I find it an enjoyable way to play offline career games. However I plan to play a lot online and this build is extremely versatile. On offense I can space out to 3, pop or roll after a pick, and of course you can throw me the ball in the post and I can get a bucket or create one for a teammate. I went with a 7' 270 lb PF which allows me the athleticism to switch on defense when needed, as well as the strength to defend anyone in the post. Rebounding is not an issue at all as its all about position and timing, I'm having no issues on the boards vs 7'3" glass cleaners by simply boxing out and timing my jump.
Sounds like you are mostly playing offline so far?

First, I think Post Scorers can be effective in a structured team environment, but that means so many of the game modes are closed off to us. A pure sharp can play any game mode, but a post scorer is only useful in Team Pro Am and myCareer.

Also, I had no trouble with those 7'3" rebounders to start with. But now I'm starting to see more that have gotten their gold and even HOF hussle rebounder badges and that is changing. A good one will go for 20+ rebounds if matched up against a non rebounder PF unless your team is just not missing. I've been physically thrown out of the way, and had rebounds plucked from over my head from behind with some frequency now. Plus with their putback badges and good dunking, they are frequently better scorers than me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #32
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
I agree and disagree. Inside scoring this year is a bit of a lottery and lacking in satisfaction/reward for doing the right things, and understanding/punishment for doing the wrong things. That said, you have one of the best builds in the game, and should be able to dominate. With HoF difficult shots and gold midrange deadeye, post hops/stepbacks and other shots that create space from your defender should be your go to moves; you need to take the battle away from under the rim. Hit a few of those, get takeover, then just bully them with post spins and dropsteps.

The life of a random post scorer is a difficult one, you'll take a lot of L's at the start as teammates treat you like a leper, but eventually you'll find some dudes who will fit with you and you'll go from there.

Seriously, your build is great; I have a pure post scorer, but if I was to make another big this year it would be yours. Just practice those hop shots in your court - you want to get used to the timings on post hops 1 or 10 as they seem to be the most effective/create the most space.
I'll give post hops more of a chance. I still think its a huge failing my 3 HOF post badges really require takeover to work. Last I checked a pure sharp didn't need takeover to hit 3s. Again the issue is that these moves are so slow. Driving dunks, layups, and jumpers are all lightning quick but for some reason a post spin take 3 seconds?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »