Home

Is passing the ball a liability in this game?

This is a discussion on Is passing the ball a liability in this game? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0
Is passing the ball a liability in this game?

I don't think I've ever had issues with passing the basketball in any 2k up until 2k19, and it's even more obvious this year; Passing is horribly flawed.

Icon passing probably being the worst, my players literally throw straight line chest passes to the defenders instead of making a logical overhead or bounce pass.

The only guys that don't turn the ball over through interceptions / tipped passes are ones that run exclusively 5 out and are dribble heavy players.

I cannot run a standard half court offense without being scared for my life that I'm gonna trigger a code that will force my passer to pass directly into the defenders hands. I can't throw the ball into the post without my post man somehow giving up position and allowing the ball to be turned over.

Look, I'm sorry for the rant, but I'm one of those guys that needs to average about 4 solid passes in the half court a possession to get a decent shot off and I don't 5 out like the rest of humanity does (probably to my disadvantage), but it's so frustrating to have to fear passing when it's something that should be second nature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

Re: Is passing the ball a liability in this game?

have you disabled Icon lead passing? if activated you can control where the Pass leqds the recipient to with the left Stick. if you press nothing, the Pass will just lead to the basket resulting in many Turnovers. i have disabled this Option since.... has to be 2k11 or 2k12.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Could be time to allow us to tap the button to give it arc and hold it for a bullet pass to prevent this kind of thing:

On the other side, defenders should anticipate instead of button-mashing BLIND, confident that square will auto-target the ball for them. Defenders should hold L2 + left/right for a passing lane steal, down for a bounce pass, and up to intercept a lob.

On-ball steals should be L2 + R-Stick towards the ball and missing should take the players momentum in the direction they specified. NO MORE NEUTRAL OUTCOMES. Square should be for deflections out of bounds.

Lastly we need pass accuracy based on rating and slow the bal; over distance (defenders should also get back facing the ball) so this kind of thing dies in 2K20:

Last edited by Kushmir; 07-24-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:36 AM   #4
MVP

tru11's Arena

Different buttons offer different type of passes.

You can also adjust what the game does with your passes by playing with your passing profile sliders.

Turn lead passing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-25-2020, 06:11 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
Turn lead passing off.
I have to say, I find lead passing incredibly useful. Especially in situations when there are already 3 or more people in the paint. Somehow AI controlled Sharpshooters like Kris Middleton tend to cut to the basket, right when you pass them the ball, instead of spotting up for a wide open 3 pointer...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Could be time to allow us to tap the button to give it arc and hold it for a bullet pass to prevent this kind of thing:

On the other side, defenders should anticipate instead of button-mashing BLIND, confident that square will auto-target the ball for them. Defenders should hold L2 + left/right for a passing lane steal, down for a bounce pass, and up to intercept a lob.

On-ball steals should be L2 + R-Stick towards the ball and missing should take the players momentum in the direction they specified. NO MORE NEUTRAL OUTCOMES. Square should be for deflections out of bounds.

Lastly we need pass accuracy based on rating and slow the bal; over distance (defenders should also get back facing the ball) so this kind of thing dies in 2K20:

You would think by now they would have implemented something like tap for chest pass,double tap for bounce pass, hold for lob pass.

Steals are another situation where badges need to be revisited and mostly likely tied to attributes again.The current method where players can have low ratings but by investing a few points into badges turn into Gary Payton on defense and fire two off long range two hand overhead passes like Wes Unseld needs to be addressed.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

Fifa and PES have manual controls which mean ability to control every aspect of either passes or shots from direction (pass to an empty area not just to another player, arc, swerve) and also to their powers(full, light etc.).

Yes i know in football(soccer) the size of the field is much bigger and space/time lets it better but 2k has to have manual passing and i believe that ties to some other stuff such as locomotion etc. so we should really see passing as an important aspect other than pressing a button. Power and direction(as i detailed) can be implemented in passing.

Last edited by ataman5; 07-25-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Pro

kirkangil's Arena

OVR: 7

It seems you get penalized for passing more than you do for over dribbling. Defenders can cover to much ground and do not suffer a big enough penalty for spamming.

Constantly spamming should result in heavy stamina loss and loss of position and leaving your man wide open.

It's so frustrating making simple passes that should be considered safe but someone has an interceptor badge on they can take away a whole side of a court and cover so much ground.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »