Home

Onball Defense is non existent

This is a discussion on Onball Defense is non existent within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #25
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Onball Defense is non existent

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
The debate for real basketball verse 2k's basketball could go on forever, 2k basketball is 2k basketball, its not basketball, it would take them way more resources and effort to actual replicate basketball realistically, and WAY more focus, which from what iv seen in these games, is not their priority.
You don't even have the game right?

I think most of us know NBA 2K isn't actual basketball, it's a video game...this is not news.

and MOST know by now here isn't some thumbdrive with "real basketball" on it they are just refusing to plug into the games code...

We all have different views on how the game can be replicated realistically....and that's what we are discussing here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #26
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

OVR: 0

Another thing I think a bit of ppl haven't gotten used to yet also, is the footplanting and how it works on defense. Because it's more realistic now, you have to make sure you don't move too much and overcommit or move to little and get blown by. At first when I started playing, I was doing this like crazy and taking myself completely out of plays. Now that i've gotten used to it, i'll move the stick ever so slightly to stay squared with my man and move more or burst out with turbo when nessesary. Because of the footplanting being more realistic like this, there's actually a larger skill gap with defending now, than in previous 2k's.

Last edited by WarMMA; 10-18-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Another thing I think a bit of ppl haven't gotten used to yet also, is the footplanting and how it works on defense. Because it's more realistic now, you have to make sure you don't move too much and overcommit or move to little and get blown by. At first when I started playing, I was doing this like crazy and taking myself completely out of plays. Now that i've gotten used to it, i'll move the stick ever so slightly to stay squared with my man and move more or burst out with turbo when nessesary. Because of the footplanting being more realistic like this, there's actually a larger skill gap with defending now, than in previous 2k's.
The foot planting is not more realistic, I am sorry. You are not only sliding like you are on ice, but you are also often floating above the floor.

You can say you like the defense better, but saying its realistic is not accurate. Saying the on ball defense is realistic overall is also not accurate, for the many reasons and examples I mentioned in the prior post.

Players sliding constantly impacts outcomes and results as well, as does the being sucked into other players. And, it's not just you the user that is sliding, it's happening all over the floor. The game is in sore need of better foot planting with the move to next gen, and I have my fingers crossed.

And, as I stated, it's happening all over the floor. You are talking about YOUR control in a player lock scenario, you have to look at the big picture, and how its impacting ongoings around you. For me, because of the constant sliding/skating, I dont feel like I have as much control over players either, on offense or defense. This hurts the experience for me.

Today i posted 10 things I liked, and 10 things I dont like about 2K20. I have given positives and negatives, but the foot planting and some of the other player movement issues are certainly not positives IMO.

Again, saying you like the defense better is one thing. But to say that skating (even floating) above the floor while you move or the foot planting in general is realistic, is not accurate at all. It impacts control as well, on O and D.

Last edited by RetroDee4Three; 10-18-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:44 PM   #28
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Well what I should have said is it's more realistic than previous yrs. Yes there is definitely still sliding going on, but they are trying to make guys take actual steps now. In previous games there was way more sliding than this and they weren't really trying to make players take steps. I'm not saying it's 100% realistic no, but it's definitely more realistic than previous years. My opinion of course. But yes i'm also keeping my fingers crossed for even better footplanting across the board come nxt gen.

Last edited by WarMMA; 10-18-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 PM   #29
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Well what I should have said is it's more realistic than previous yrs. Yes there is definitely still sliding going on, but they are trying to make guys take actual steps now. In previous games there was way more sliding than this and they weren't really trying to make players take steps. I'm not saying it's 100% realistic no, but it's definitely more realistic than previous years. My opinion of course. But yes i'm also keeping my fingers crossed for even better footplanting across the board come nxt gen.
2K16 had exceptional footplanting, and realistic defense (Feel and execution overall), the trailer three was the only real weakness defensively.

2K15 and 2K14 both had better foot planting and more sound defense than 2K20.

2K17 had brick wall defense that was excessive, but the foot planting was far better.

2K18 was the game where they did a full switch of the motion system, which introduced a much higher volume of skating, and just overall more footplanting issues.

2K20 feels an awful lot like both 2K18 and 2K19 skating wise, because the motion system is mostly a continuation of those two games. One thing that's certainly better on 2K20 over 2K18 is that defenders like Kawhi are indeed noticablely better at defense than an average or below better defender. However the problem is that you can just run by average defenders at will, they need to find a better balance overall. Right now, you are either a LOCK like Kawhi, or you are a major liability. That's not the way it works in real life, and that wouldnt be the way you wanted it to work even if you were playing more casually.

I'm honestly existed to see what 2K21 will be like, as look how amazing 2K14 overall looked and played (First game on this gen).
Old 10-19-2019, 12:02 AM   #30
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

The problem is the cpu ballhandling and left stick change of direction by the offense. They let guys with 65 and 75 ballhandling change directions on a dime and change direction. The lack of live ball, also. If every wing player wasnt Kyrie Irving, the n ball defense would be a consensus yes.

More turnovers would make things more realistic, not better on ball defense.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 10-19-2019, 12:25 AM   #31
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDee4Three
2K16 had exceptional footplanting, and realistic defense (Feel and execution overall), the trailer three was the only real weakness defensively.

2K15 and 2K14 both had better foot planting and more sound defense than 2K20.

2K17 had brick wall defense that was excessive, but the foot planting was far better.

2K18 was the game where they did a full switch of the motion system, which introduced a much higher volume of skating, and just overall more footplanting issues.

2K20 feels an awful lot like both 2K18 and 2K19 skating wise, because the motion system is mostly a continuation of those two games. One thing that's certainly better on 2K20 over 2K18 is that defenders like Kawhi are indeed noticablely better at defense than an average or below better defender. However the problem is that you can just run by average defenders at will, they need to find a better balance overall. Right now, you are either a LOCK like Kawhi, or you are a major liability. That's not the way it works in real life, and that wouldnt be the way you wanted it to work even if you were playing more casually.

I'm honestly existed to see what 2K21 will be like, as look how amazing 2K14 overall looked and played (First game on this gen).
Yh i'm definitely excited for 2k21 also...not just for how amazing I think it'll look, but also for what they could possibly do with a motion engine on the new tech.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 AM   #32
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
The problem is the cpu ballhandling and left stick change of direction by the offense. They let guys with 65 and 75 ballhandling change directions on a dime and change direction. The lack of live ball, also. If every wing player wasnt Kyrie Irving, the n ball defense would be a consensus yes.

More turnovers would make things more realistic, not better on ball defense.
I think you have to do the more turnovers the right way though. There's already an abundance of steal spam, so you'd need to just make it so you're creating turnovers through more avenues than just press steal at right moment -- or maybe actually make it so you have to press steal at the right moment and only press it once, and instead of relying so hard on that, make it more about positioning and the like again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »