Home

The Dunk Meter sucks.

This is a discussion on The Dunk Meter sucks. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2023, 08:29 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: The Dunk Meter sucks.

I get no gratification in timing a dunk and it kills the immersion. I'm left staring at a meter while missing the highlight play. If they won't scrap it all i ask is for a no meter option online.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:54 PM   #74
MVP

itrey25's Arena

OVR: 0

Hope everybody keep complaining because it should a option to turn it off
NFL Las Vegas Raiders

PSN: InMyBag24-8
Old 03-08-2023, 07:03 AM   #75
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
The Dunk Meter sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Exactly. I don't need to worry myself with pop up graphics to pull off some tasty contact dunks, so luckily that particular mechanic isn't hurting my gameplay experience. I'm grateful for that much.

Although the Alley Oop situation is frustrating. I wish they'd just give users options to enable or disable this stuff. I want a clutter free situation without the arcadey quick time additions.

I understand the merit in all this for online players to eliminate spam etc, but as on offline 'sim' player, this stuff isn't necessary. The ability to turn it off would be a real winner.

Yeah, The alley oop mechanic is a different story - Hopefully more options are implemented next year..

The dunk meter is as simple as not using it. I’ve talked to online players who still aren’t familiar with it 8 months in, so for offline players there’s really no need to stress over it.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 03-08-2023 at 07:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2023, 10:50 AM   #76
Rookie

People, WE are the ones that asked 2K to finally add the option for the users to be able to force dunks when we wanted to, without being at the mercy of the RNG system and the game deciding for itself when players will go for a dunk or not, and now that finally the devs actually listened (for once) some of you are complaining about them giving us such a choice and it boggles my mind, seriously.

The worst part of all this diatribe is that users can simply keep everything as before and they wouldn't even notice a difference as you must do a precise sets of inputs to use so called skilled dunks, but for those of us that asked repeatedly in the past for the possibility to force a dunk when we wanted to, even if doing so would mean actually failing miserably, these types of dunks are exactly what we asked for. And it's not even that there are more animations tied to skilled dunks as they are tied to the same exact animations that "normal" dunks are tied to, it's just that - naturally - if you force a dunk in traffic the probability of a contact animation triggering is much higher in such an instance.

Btw skilled dunks are still tied to attributes and badges, it's not that they are just a static timing. There's a ton of difference between trying to perform a forced skilled dunk (with meter) with, say, a young Jordan or some unathletic role player. With the latter you will 99 out of 100 times fail, but with good finishers you will have much ampler timing windows (exactly as for jump shots and shooters). And you can still perform contact dunks as before, nothing has changed, you now just have the option to force to go for a dunk when before the game decided when to do so for you and NOBODY (in this forum included, and I can show receipts with multiple threads talking about the issue) liked it.

So I'm extremely happy that the devs finally added an OPTION (and it must be understood very well that it's just an option as you must do a precise set of stick movements to perform a dunk with the meter) to give us the freedom to force a dunk when we want to, fully abiding to the consequences of such a decision (and those consequences are there because if you try to force a dunk against a skilled defender or in traffic the timing window becomes much smaller than when on an open scenario, exactly - again - as for timing jumpshots when open vs when contested).

Sincerely I don't know why people are complaining about skilled dunks. The alley-oop forced meter I can fully comprehend the dislikes but not the introduction of - finally - skilled dunks.

P.S: If you want to have the game trying to force more dunks for you without using a user input to do so you can do it through sliders and player tendencies. The game will still decide for itself if to force a dunk or not but you are increasing the chances that it will happen.

Last edited by amioran; 03-08-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:44 AM   #77
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

I personally never asked for such a thing. Never needed it. Dunking system worked fine for me just the way it was before the silly meter additions.

Respect to those that like it, but I don't even use the thing. No need for it. Just another gizmo that takes the focus off the actual action whilst you sit there motoring an input, like the obsession with playing with meters getting a dopamine hit off seeing a 'green'.

Na, not for me.

To each their own.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:17 PM   #78
Rookie

Then simply don't use it, nobody is forcing you to.

But as I said there were countless of threads in this same forums of people asking for a way to force dunks instead of being limited by the game deciding when you will go for a dunk or a layup by itself. Now you have the option to do so, and I don't see anything wrong in that. It could also be that in the future the devs will give a Real FG% option to skilled dunks as it happens for shots, that would be the best of both worlds as now users would have the choice to force a dunk without the need for a timing and the success rate being tied solely on attributes/badges as it happens for shots and Real FG%.

Anyway timing the meter is not really that difficult. The cue for the green window is when the player's head reaches the rim, that's the cue of when to release the stick.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:19 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
I personally never asked for such a thing. Never needed it. Dunking system worked fine for me just the way it was before the silly meter additions.

Respect to those that like it, but I don't even use the thing. No need for it. Just another gizmo that takes the focus off the actual action whilst you sit there motoring an input, like the obsession with playing with meters getting a dopamine hit off seeing a 'green'.

Na, not for me.

To each their own.
Same boat.

I had difficulty articulating what I liked least about the meter but may have discovered that my brain struggles to remember which two-button press will give me a non-meter and which will give me a meter, because they’re very similar inputs (up-down gives a meter, down-up does not). So, for months I had a 50-50 chance of squandering open floor dunks because maybe I might hit the right input for a non-meter or maybe I’d get it backward.

Honestly, I’d still love an option to turn meter dunks off altogether so I could just use a right-stick combo in the open floor without worrying I pressed it incorrectly, thus inducing a meter. Or at least give meter dunks a very distinctive pattern or button press, not one that basically mirrors non-meter inputs.

In the meantime, realizing non-meter combos always end with “up” has helped to some degree.

The alley-oop meter can kick rocks though. It’s just about as unnecessary as the old Guitar Hero dunk contest controls.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:50 PM   #80
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Same boat.

I had difficulty articulating what I liked least about the meter but may have discovered that my brain struggles to remember which two-button press will give me a non-meter and which will give me a meter, because they’re very similar inputs (up-down gives a meter, down-up does not). So, for months I had a 50-50 chance of squandering open floor dunks because maybe I might hit the right input for a non-meter or maybe I’d get it backward.

Honestly, I’d still love an option to turn meter dunks off altogether so I could just use a right-stick combo in the open floor without worrying I pressed it incorrectly, thus inducing a meter. Or at least give meter dunks a very distinctive pattern or button press, not one that basically mirrors non-meter inputs.

In the meantime, realizing non-meter combos always end with “up” has helped to some degree.

The alley-oop meter can kick rocks though. It’s just about as unnecessary as the old Guitar Hero dunk contest controls.
I personally don't care much for the dunk meter as I use real player %, but that alley button/shot that we can not disable is just awful. It really is. I has killed the alley oops game for me in MyNBA. I get the online players who want 100% agency over everything. Cool. Give them that. But offline we should be able to turn/tune everything to our liking.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »