Home

The Dunk Meter sucks.

This is a discussion on The Dunk Meter sucks. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2021, 03:49 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon6 Re: The Dunk Meter sucks.

Dunk meter is a joke, 2k23 for sure gonna be ditched.

Take away fun then give fun, people will be like yay dunking is back

2k policy reminds me Blizzard with World of Warcraft, they ruined certain mechanics, classes, abilities, and improve them with next release.

Players like us are addicts, and the devs are the dealers. Sometimes they provide good, and bad stuff, keeping us dependant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2022, 09:23 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: The Dunk Meter sucks.

I just want to be on record of saying that hate the dunk meter with every fiber of my being.

I only get a few dunk opportunities each game, with breakaway opportunities even rarer. Yet, I hate that controlling the coolest dunks (super flashy & rim hangs) comes down to a random meter that I'm somehow supposed to be able judge, assess, and respond to in a hundredth of a second with no rhythmic visual pattern. I just want to be able to do the dunks I want to do without a sure thing suddenly turning into a coin-flip.

It's taken one of my favorite aspects of video game basketball and turned it into an anxiety-riddled mess. My solution has been to just face-button dunk every time down the floor, which locks me out on some of the finer dunks the game has to offer.

If nothing else, I'd just want a toggle to turn the meter off for offline gamers. It's that bad for some of us out here.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #43
Rookie

Hate it

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I just want to be on record of saying that hate the dunk meter with every fiber of my being.

I only get a few dunk opportunities each game, with breakaway opportunities even rarer. Yet, I hate that controlling the coolest dunks (super flashy & rim hangs) comes down to a random meter that I'm somehow supposed to be able judge, assess, and respond to in a hundredth of a second with no rhythmic visual pattern. I just want to be able to do the dunks I want to do without a sure thing suddenly turning into a coin-flip.

It's taken one of my favorite aspects of video game basketball and turned it into an anxiety-riddled mess. My solution has been to just face-button dunk every time down the floor, which locks me out on some of the finer dunks the game has to offer.

If nothing else, I'd just want a toggle to turn the meter off for offline gamers. It's that bad for some of us out here.
Didn’t 2K23 correct this by letting us do flashy one and two hand dunks without the dunk meter? In 2K22 the flashy dunk button was ruined because it was tied to the meter. Now you don’t need the meter to do a flashy dunk. Even before hand you couldn’t choose whether you wanted a one or two hand flashy dunk like you can now.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:39 PM   #45
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Take Vince Carter into practice mode

Do 15 dunks with analog or button

Do 15 metered dunks

You’ll notice they all duplicate. Only difference is the metered dunks can be forced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Take Vince Carter into practice mode

Do 15 dunks with analog or button

Do 15 metered dunks

You’ll notice they all duplicate. Only difference is the metered dunks can be forced
I think I'm confused by what you mean by forced. Do you mean the metered dunks allow you attempt a flashy dunk on command rather than have it randomly occur? Because that's what I want.

Moreover, as far as I've been able to tell, the meter is the only way to access the controlled rim-hang dunks. In addition, every single lob comes with a meter whether you like it or not.

If the meter was an online-abuse counteraction, I get it. But we really, really, really need an offline toggle. Nothing about it feels natural or sensible and it turns what should be one of the enjoyable moments of open-floor expression into one of the riskiest plays you can attempt.

If I want to try windmilling in traffic with Danny Schayes, then let me reap what I sow. But I don't want to have to play a meter-guessing game with Vince Carter in the open floor just because I want to hang on the rim or finish off an oop.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:17 PM   #47
MVP

The meter definitely ruined alley oops. I never attempt them as it’s not worth it to blow an opportunity.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:26 PM   #48
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
The Dunk Meter sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think I'm confused by what you mean by forced. Do you mean the metered dunks allow you attempt a flashy dunk on command rather than have it randomly occur? Because that's what I want.

Moreover, as far as I've been able to tell, the meter is the only way to access the controlled rim-hang dunks. In addition, every single lob comes with a meter whether you like it or not.

If the meter was an online-abuse counteraction, I get it. But we really, really, really need an offline toggle. Nothing about it feels natural or sensible and it turns what should be one of the enjoyable moments of open-floor expression into one of the riskiest plays you can attempt.

If I want to try windmilling in traffic with Danny Schayes, then let me reap what I sow. But I don't want to have to play a meter-guessing game with Vince Carter in the open floor just because I want to hang on the rim or finish off an oop.

X button/ Directional stick holds turboing to the rim = The game as you’ve known it.

You can pretend as if you’ve never heard of the skilled dunk stick. As far as rim hangs, Dunking by holding the stick down and continuing to hold it activates rim hang dunks and hangs.

These options still allow dunks in traffic in the proper context as well, as they have historically. You can attempt Schayes 360’s to your hearts content….no overthinking or online worries required.

The alley oop meter however, Cannot be toggled unfortunately. Hopefully an option for those struggling with it is available next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 10-16-2022 at 10:32 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »