Home

Is there any way to guard 5 out with shooting bigs?

This is a discussion on Is there any way to guard 5 out with shooting bigs? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #33
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is there any way to guard 5 out with shooting bigs?

Are we all talking about the same 5-Out offense?

I don't care about the 5-Out offense where (like Jeebs9 stated) there is actual offball movement. Personally, I specifically talking about the 5-out "offense" where people use the Bucks 2018 (or Hawks) freelance, call only the 5-Out or Quick 5-Out play, use the "Screen and Pass Away" (forgot what it was called) on the D-Pad, then proceed to dance behind the screen (if applicable, while speed boosting) until they're able to get to the rim (remind you, with no intentions of scoring), and pass to the open man when your AI defender stupidly drops down to "defend" against the layup/dunk.

The concept is kinda similar in REC. When I was making my living in NBA 2K20, my only "weakness" was the stretch big, because they kept me out of the paint when my team went on defense. I would always "test" them to see if they could actually hit the corner 3, but I learned my lesson real quick that they could when they hit 2 back to back greens.

EDIT: Damn, I'm going to miss my Inside Force Big from NBA 2K20. Most fun I ever had with REC.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-07-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:49 PM   #34
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorMG
I mean, technically speaking, 62 or 67 isn't 0. It doesn't mean they can't hit any. Dennis Rodman once hit 3 three-pointers in a row, in like 90 seconds. Also, those threes you mentioned, were they open? Contested? Late closeout?

I remember seeing LeBron hit a drifting three against the Lakers (he was on Miami) and Jeff Van Gundy said "If LeBron's hitting that shot, go home. You got no chance."

If you force the offense into the worst shot that's realistically possible, and they still hit it, you just have to take the L sometimes and understand that you've done your job defensively regardless.
Oh you didn't have to tell me that. I was mad his rating wasn't higher. Should be in the 70's. If you ask me. Not low 60's. He's been hitting jumpers like that. I was just mad the rating was so low for both of them.

https://youtu.be/AsYnPLopDqc

I get what your saying. But play with someone like JV on NO. His rating is an 84. But it feels like shooting with Tillman .
Old 02-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #35
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Is there any way to guard 5 out with shooting bigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Are we all talking about the same 5-Out offense?

I don't care about the 5-Out offense where (like Jeebs9 stated) there is actual offball movement. Personally, I specifically talking about the 5-out "offense" where people use the Bucks 2018 (or Hawks) freelance, call only the 5-Out or Quick 5-Out play, use the "Screen and Pass Away" (forgot what it was called) on the D-Pad, then proceed to dance behind the screen (if applicable, while speed boosting) until they're able to get to the rim (remind you, with no intentions of scoring), and pass to the open man when your AI defender stupidly drops down to "defend" against the layup/dunk.

The concept is kinda similar in REC. When I was making my living in NBA 2K20, my only "weakness" was the stretch big, because they kept me out of the paint when my team went on defense. I would always "test" them to see if they could actually hit the corner 3, but I learned my lesson real quick that they could when they hit 2 back to back greens.

EDIT: Damn, I'm going to miss my Inside Force Big from NBA 2K20. Most fun I ever had with REC.

Yep, Same 5 out.

Have you played post the side to side patch?

That’s THE biggest difference.

Man what made you skip REC the next two years? 2K21 CG & this year especially we’re really good for bigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #36
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Yep, Same 5 out.

Have you played post the side to side patch?

That’s THE biggest difference.

Man what made you skip REC the next two years? 2K21 CG & this year especially we’re really good for bigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had bought next-gen NBA 2K21 and absolutely hated the gameplay, and I wasn't too kin on "The City" layout. I played current gen NBA 2K21 when it came to Game Pass, then I realized I missed out on a sleeper. I didn't bother with REC, because I knew NBA 2K21 would eventually be taken out of the library before the next game dropped, so I didn't want to invest in a MyPlayer character. However, I was very content with continuing play to NBA 2K20. I started playing PNO on next-gen NBA 2K22, but got kinda "bored" with the mode since the Pacers wasn't a "good" team. As a result, I tried the MyTeam. To be fair, I REALLY liked the card collecting aspect of the mode to build my own teams and going against randoms. MyTeam briefly rejuvenated my love for 5v5 gameplay.

Then it started to go downhill as the cards got stupidly better (particularly 3PT shooting centers). I got burned out constantly playing against what I consider to be my toughest challenge when it comes to cheese. I tried to run back to PNO, but encountered the same 5-out offense. Obviously, it's not as OP as it was in MyTeam, but it was just the GP of playing against it in a different mode. Tried my hand in REC/MyPlayer, and I played a few games there. The straw that finally broke the camel's back was when I played against a team who used the 5-Out offense, and demolished my backcourt teammates. I got frustrated, because I was "stuck" guarding the corner, and you know how people be when it comes to feeding the post. After that...I pretty much swore off NBA 2K as a franchise.

For most part, I just collect my daily logins for MyTeam, goof around in the Auction House, and/or shoot some shots in freestyle 2KU.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:50 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Don't want to start a new thread, but has there been any indication of a possible ETA for a patch to fix defensive settings?

I'm in the playoffs of myNBA and its getting frustrating dropping games to the Nets because my wing defender comes off of one of the big 3 to "help" defend a layup (even when set to deny) while my defensive big stays at home against Hartenstein on the perimeter even when set to "leave them."

I came back to take game 3 by playing off ball D with my center but that is not as enjoyable.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:08 AM   #38
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
I would get around my city faster too if I drove at 110 mph like I do in GTA. There's a reason why I don't/can't. There's a reason why the 5-out in NBA 2K is not what you see IRL...

The Suns ran the 7-Seconds offense...not a 5-Out offense in the half-court. Get your facts straight.
https://youtu.be/6pwt3k8PzhU?t=289

His facts are straight. Don't react with hostility when someone offers you suggestions.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #39
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
https://youtu.be/6pwt3k8PzhU?t=289

His facts are straight. Don't react with hostility when someone offers you suggestions.
The video literally says 7-Seconds offense of the Suns, then goes into a historical discussion about the use of the pick and roll which is basically a read/react offense. Great video admittedly, but even the video shows glimpses of the 5-Out Offense where there is still offball movement. I literally just stated that I don't care about the real life 5-Offense when a user is still actually running plays.

I specifically talking about its implementation in the videogame. Also, I still disagree with the overall "belief" that teams use it all the time or WOULD use it all the time. The problem with most NBA 2K gamers is that they take a few highlights or incidents then they tend to extrapolate the data to mean "This what teams/players do all the time.". Have some players tell the story, Steph Curry pulls up from the half-court line 3-5 times a game.

EDIT: After watching the entire video, I WISH gamers would play the game like that. That video showed basketball beauty when it showed the CORRECT use of the pick and roll offense. When it's used correctly, THEN it becomes a thinking man's game. Now, I have to figure out...are you going to roll to the basket....are you going to take the short jumper or floater....is a player going move into the open space for the pick and pop shot...am I paying attention to the OTHER off ball movement....are they trying to clear out space for a post play? OMG, I would LOVE to play against individuals that knew how to play NBA 2K like that.

Nowadays...put your 5 best 3PT shooters on the floor...abuse the screen on every play...shoot a 3. Do I call a screen? Yes, I do, but then I'm reading and reacting to what the defense is doing then making a play that leads to the best available shot. Hell, in most cases, I don't NEED a screen to make a play, because I actually know how to use angles and dribble moves (without spamming) to create separation. I actually use more than two brain cells to score, and that's what makes the game exciting to me. Not watching and using the same braindead tactic that everyone uses to score.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-08-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
The video literally says 7-Seconds offense of the Suns, then goes into a historical discussion about the use of the pick and roll which is basically a read/react offense. Great video admittedly, but even the video shows glimpses of the 5-Out Offense where there is still offball movement. I literally just stated that I don't care about the real life 5-Offense when a user is still actually running plays.

I specifically talking about its implementation in the videogame. Also, I still disagree with the overall "belief" that teams use it all the time or WOULD use it all the time. The problem with most NBA 2K gamers is that they take a few highlights or incidents then they tend to extrapolate the data to mean "This what teams/players do all the time.". Have some players tell the story, Steph Curry pulls up from the half-court line 3-5 times a game.

EDIT: After watching the entire video, I WISH gamers would play the game like that. That video showed basketball beauty when it showed the CORRECT use of the pick and roll offense. When it's used correctly, THEN it becomes a thinking man's game. Now, I have to figure out...are you going to roll to the basket....are you going to take the short jumper or floater....is a player going move into the open space for the pick and pop shot...am I paying attention to the OTHER off ball movement....are they trying to clear out space for a post play? OMG, I would LOVE to play against individuals that knew how to play NBA 2K like that.

Nowadays...put your 5 best 3PT shooters on the floor...abuse the screen on every play...shoot a 3. Do I call a screen? Yes, I do, but then I'm reading and reacting to what the defense is doing then making a play that leads to the best available shot. Hell, in most cases, I don't NEED a screen to make a play, because I actually know how to use angles and dribble moves (without spamming) to create separation. I actually use more than two brain cells to score, and that's what makes the game exciting to me. Not watching and using the same braindead tactic that everyone uses to score.
I'm only speaking to the point of the other poster not having his facts straight when he remarked "The mid-late 2000s Suns made a living (and a very good one) on almost nothing but Nash high pick-and-rolls surrounded by shooters."

Structure wise there is no difference between a 5-out offense and a 4-out 1-in when running the high pick and roll.

"7 Seconds offense" is a nickname, nothing more.

That out of the way I agree with the overall sentiment that 2k online play is largely trash. Its become little more than a timing game using the current meta. All I'm saying is when a fellow poster makes a good faith effort to help we don't need to respond rudely. FWIW my guess is that he is an offline player who doesn't know the extent of the green release cheese that is online play.

Edit: If you liked the video I strongly encourage subscribing to the channel. Its the best source for a deeper dive into the game. Love their breakdowns

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »