Home

NBA 2K9 Video: Wizards vs. Raptors

This is a discussion on NBA 2K9 Video: Wizards vs. Raptors within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:31 AM   #41
MVP

blingballa333's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: NBA 2K9 Video: Wizards vs. Raptors

The cpu never plays great out of the box. Way too many inside shots taken, very few midrange shots taken, and as previously stated lack of one on one iso play. But if you take the time to edit both player and team tendencies, you can alter the cpu to play pretty much however you want them too. I've been able to edit these in 2k8 for some teams and resolove many of the AI problems you guys have been mentioning. But again it takes time, research, alot of cpu vs. cpu testing to really get it right.

btw, as someone already commented about, i loved seeing the cpu pull off an alley oop. Something you never saw in 2k8.

Check out my MLB The Show CAP thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-welcome.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #42
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Btw, not sure if anyone posted this but I read at the 2K forums that the demo is supposed to come out on Sept 25.
And someone gave this link, but I'm not sure if it's reliable:

http://nba2k9.blogspot.com/2008/09/nba-2k9-demo.html

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 5

The crowd was the best thing about this whole video. Yes, with some slider adjustments, I think the game will be pretty good, especially with all the presentation flair that they added. The lack of rookie appearance editing is a low blow and I still cant understand why we dont have real Arena Music but I will once again support this series despite them coming up short yet again.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
The cpu never plays great out of the box. Way too many inside shots taken, very few midrange shots taken, and as previously stated lack of one on one iso play. But if you take the time to edit both player and team tendencies, you can alter the cpu to play pretty much however you want them too. I've been able to edit these in 2k8 for some teams and resolove many of the AI problems you guys have been mentioning. But again it takes time, research, alot of cpu vs. cpu testing to really get it right.

btw, as someone already commented about, i loved seeing the cpu pull off an alley oop. Something you never saw in 2k8.
Dude been there. My College hoops 2k8 franchise is edited to all hell. I just see the same problems with the fundemental aspects of the game. I don't see any isolation and patience by the CPU. For all this signature style they don't really play like those players. I don't see any improvement in this area and I know there is no slider out there that will isolate Melo and watch him work, I mean really work to get his own shot. The CPU will likely pass to the cutter or back to the PG where it will set up a different play.

I guess we will see but these videos show that it looks like the same basic gameplay from the last 4 years. Which is good and bad.....
Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 15

Love the vid.

With some editing of the player tendacies (as usual) this game will have unlimited potential this year.

I really like ALOT of the animations they added.

The AI not being able to shoot off the dribble along with the lack of dribble animations that produce drives, is what really hampered the CPU isolation/ one on one game in years past.

This year the CPU shoots off the dribble AND seems much more effective at dribble drives, in the vids I've seen. That's all I really needed to see.

If the tendacies are ALL working this year, the user will be able to eliminate Alot of issues with the AI's lack of one on one play.

Editing tendacies and customizing the way the players perform is alot of fun. Other than actually playing the game, it's what I spend the most time doing.

I'm just glad it seems the core game will be MUCH more customizable because of the new animations and most importantly, FINALLY the AI has the ability to shoot off the dribble.

Everything looks very good soo far.

BTW, thanks Steve!

Last edited by edubbs; 09-23-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
sorry fam, I'm not buying that. We've been saying that since what, 2K4 or 5? When they first implemented sliders?

2K7 introduced sig styles, and in 2K9 there is still no true sig style, because every player and team in essence plays the same. They need to take signature style to the core, not just skim the surface with animations

It's unfortunate, because while it will be the best basketball game available, there are still too many glaring deficiencies that CAN be fixed, and should have been already fixed (commentary, team/coach specific playsets, etc).
Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #47
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Too many one handed hook shots from the cpu IMO. Bosh and O'neil looked to be doing this too much. I would like to see more backing down and driving to the basket, or passing out to a wing player.

The Calderon drive to the basket on a screen was a thing of beauty.

The Arena foul was nice too!

Thanks Steve!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
sorry fam, I'm not buying that. We've been saying that since what, 2K4 or 5? When they first implemented sliders?

2K7 introduced sig styles, and in 2K9 there is still no true sig style, because every player and team in essence plays the same. They need to take signature style to the core, not just skim the surface with animations

It's unfortunate, because while it will be the best basketball game available, there are still too many glaring deficiencies that CAN be fixed, and should have been already fixed (commentary, team/coach specific playsets, etc).
The Association2.0 features, as well as the animations look fantastic, but I'm with fluent on this one - the core gameplay looks like it needs a lot of work. But as one can tell by a majority of the comments posted here, it's these superficial improvements that create the hype to move units. After all, it's hard to show off improved AI code in a promo video.

And when people see something they don't like, I can't understand how they justify their planned purchase with the inclusion of sliders. The perfect sports game shouldn't need ANY sliders. The AI should already play like their real-life counterparts out of the box, and the gameplay ought to always encourage the player to use real strategies seen on the court, field or pitch to reach victory.

For example, anybody who's played the Pro Evo soccer series knows they've never included sliders because their gameplay was JUST RIGHT. The series was never heavy on features (or licenses), but soccer fans kept coming back to it because it played how a soccer game should play, even with extended quarters. I agree that some of the more recent editions have looked less and less like real soccer, but the controls have always been intuitive, the AI acted accordingly, and I would need to exercise real soccer strategies to win. Another game with these qualities that comes to mind is Fight Night R3.

If you ask me, developers offering sliders (to adjust gameplay) is a P*SSY MOVE. They release so-called sports games that often do not play anything like the real sport it tries to emulate. Then they include sliders "so you can play how you want to", in a sorry attempt to please everybody. In actuality, everybody just wants a sports game that plays like the actual sport. If they would just make a game that plays like the real-life counterpart, nobody would even bother with sliders.

Last edited by taiketsu; 09-23-2008 at 08:34 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »