Home

NBA 2K16 PC Impressions thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 PC Impressions thread within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NBA 2K16 PC Impressions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
Not too long as Leftos handled the whole patching procedure but last year's game was in a way better state.
I disabled controller vibration and performance got better but things are still very bad. Wow, I hope Leftos takes care of this mess because the refunds requests are coming fast. Game already is at "Mostly Negative" rating on Steam.
I already submitted for my refund :-( Really disappointing and agree with your sentiment on Vsync...Huge issues. I did it through AMD Control Center and it still did not fix the issue.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

First off, here are my system specs for anyone curious:

http://www.game-debate.com/gaming-pc...dition&ram=8GB

Just one thing has changed since I set up that profile - I'm now on Windows 10.

After optimizing my graphical settings (the game runs perfectly smooth for me now) here are the remaining problems I've experienced:

Half-time show/Postgame: Temporary black screen as it seems like the game is still trying to load the replays when it should be showing them. Also, perhaps because of this, the stat screen at the end of the show only stays on-screen for about 2 seconds.

In-game replays: Sometimes (NOT ALWAYS) shows either only the post-play reaction of a player, or simply screen-wipes to nothing - the live scene is still shown.

Sound:

- Commentary cut out in my first game for about a quarter, and returned on a buzzer-beating shot to end that quarter. No further problems there through parts of several test games and one full-length one.

- Ambient crowd noise is very much lower than 2k15 on default settings, and is further drowned out by the PBP guys talking over it. Raising the crowd slider to 100 seems to bring it back to 2k15 levels (at least to my ears)

And, finally...Hard freeze near the end of my first game, forcing a system restart due to not being able to access Task Manager. Still no idea what caused it. Hasn't happened since.

Last edited by bcruise; 09-25-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #59
Pro

OVR: 12

I wanted to jump in real quick and write some first impressions after one game.

The first thing that stands out is that this game feels drastically different than 2k15. Completely new experience from the look of the lighting to the player movement to how players react on the court (ai). I have to admit it was a little jarring at first because your first instinct is to play the game like 2k15 and if you just can't do that.

Post controls

My first real adjustment pain was the post button being switched back to LT, at this point I don't like going back to the hold button mechanism, I much prefer the on/off mechanism we've had the last few years. I suppose I'll adjust but I feel it limits you a little at this early stage. I also threw a few turnovers in the first half of the game because I'd lob a pass with Y when I meant to post up. By the second half that was drastically reduced and obviously that won't be an issue at all after a few games.

Player Movement

Movement is noticeably faster and more responsive to stick input, obviously that's a good thing but it throws you off at first as you adjust. It has a new rhythm to directional change that is more true to life. For example there was a play where Julius Randle caught the ball as KG closed out and I was able to time a cut so that I went in the opposite direction of KG's momentum for a blow by and an easy dunk. That's not a normal thing but the timing and situation made sense in a basketball sort of way. It was very satisfying.

Something else that's been mentioned by some of the team up guys, is how unglued you are to the offensive post player, the animation doesn't help you play D as much as it did last year so if you don't really match stick movement you'll separate from the offensive player and they'll be free to do with you as they will.

Free Lance Offense

I ran some prinston and some triangle and you can tell there's a better sense of purpose for the cuts, more crisp. An example is once the ball goes into the post on the triangle and the cutters go through, the weak side player flashes to the free throw line. In 2k15 that pass always ended up with the player pretty much at the 3 point line, which made the player, often the other big, less of a threat. Now that cut is to the right spot.

This is definitely something we'll need some breakdown videos for. The game will really shine once I get a better feel for the whole structure of other offensive sets.

ACE

I'm excited to see how this manifests against different teams but just from one game I can tell there are some major differences. The T-Wolves defintely switched what they were doing defensively throughout the game. There were times when they would really try to take away passes by playing me really tight, other times they'd hang off a bit and make drives tougher. I didn't try to run the same play multiple times to see how they adjusted.

One thing that really stood out for me was there was a play where Kobe got a switch off a pick so that Pek was stuck out on an island. So I backed up a bit and to set up an iso, well mid play after a second or two, Wiggins leaves his man and switches back onto Kobe as Pek switched back to his. What made it cool was that Wiggins did face up Pek's man for a second or two, so the switch was deliberate, it was as if Wiggins just caught up to the play after getting hung up on a screen.

I'm very excited to see the depth of the game as I move forward and play different teams, especially when it gets into the playoffs of a season.

Graphics and Lighting

Well the difference in the courts and lighting are pretty drastically different to me. There's a more crisp look to the lighting instead of a really hazy feel. I think I need to upgrade my card though. I'm running the game fine with a mix of medium and high settings but I think the game deserves to be maxed out. Animations look good, quicker and body types look more varied. I'll analyze that a bit more later on.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #60
No Way

demencia_total's Arena

OVR: 9

System specs don't matter, this has been going on since NBA 2k went to PC and this year no exception. A neat little trick was to use Full Screen Windowed instead of Full Screen, but this year its not working as it changes the size of the screen completely into a much smaller box. I've also been noticing that when I change resolutions, the game keeps automatically resizing even if the Aspect Ratio option is turned off. Its definitely more wonky than usual.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #61
Just started!

OVR: 0

i have a problem... the game is super slow... lets just say in took me like 5 min to load the game.. just the jump ball in the beginning is like 30 seconds until the players jump.. my video card is geforce gt 420... i run other good games.. anyone know how to fix this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 0

Is there anyone else having framerate issues. I have a gtx 970 for PC but frame rates are jumping down and up. Anyone else having this problem? I tried 1080p to 4k but same issues.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #63
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I'll say it again, although I don't know how many people it will help (most people will have already tried this).

I initially had inconsistent FPS in gameplay (bouncing from 50-60 FPS and just being choppy in general), but turning off VSYNC and zeroing out the anti-aliasing settings eliminated the frame drops according to Steam's built in FPS counter. With those settings off I was pulling over 120 FPS in gameplay (although it was choppy due to VSYNC being turned off).

I then did some trial and error bumping both settings back up until I could no longer maintain 60 FPS during actual, game-clock-running gameplay. I've settled on AA Level 2, AA Quality 4 and that's probably where I'll stay. I dip below 60 FPS during out-of-play scenes (not below 30), but that's okay with me because I don't have to control anything outside of menus during those times. Finally I re-enabled VSYNC and the gameplay remained at 60 - that's how I knew I was set.

The default AA settings that were selected when I started up the first time were....aggressive. They caused a lot of choppiness and slowdown in my first game (and perhaps contributed to the freeze at the end of it). I'd recommend starting from lower video settings than the game initially gives you and moving up from there.

If you can't get into the game at all, you can get into the game's configuration file and make the changes to lower settings before the game loads...but I wouldn't recommend that for a non-PC-savvy person.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #64
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm back to FIFA 16 until they come with a solution. What's more ridiculous is that the game's performance is good on 2k camera. If I remember well I told Leftos last year that they need to focus on the broadcast cameras because there is definitely a bad coding issue there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »