Home

Ask The Devs a Question Thread II

This is a discussion on Ask The Devs a Question Thread II within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #345
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Ask The Devs a Question Thread II

there has been some discussion in another thread regarding hotspots in Live - the thread is titled:"http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-new-user.html" (click for the link).

I was told directly by iminurbase that all hotspot code was completely removed in Live 10 and was not part of the game...BUT, I doubt the truth of that, as I see way too many people online hit ridiculous 3's with defenders right on them...certain players will make WAY too many shots from the corner 3 area of the court...even when heavily contested by a defender, and the only thing I can think of that is causing this is the existence of a hot spot in the corner 3 area of the court.

I personally think hotspots are a terrible thing, as it makes it too arbitrary as to whether your shot goes in. I'm sorry, but If I shoot with a good outside shooter and he's wide open, he should make the shot, it shouldn't matter if he's on a hot spot or not...a good shooter shouldn't miss just because he's not standing in a hot spot...

on the other side, a shooter shouldn't be able to make insane contested shots just because he's shooting from one of his hot spots. If the shot is contested, it should miss. Hot spots just completely go against what video games are about as it makes shot success predetermined and not based on strategy and getting open looks. with a hot spot system, shot success basically becomes as easy as running to a "magical" spot and jacking up shots with no regard for whether you're guarded or not. it allows dummies and lazy people to score without thinking at all. it basically makes defense completely worthless, since a guy can just run to his hot spot and jack up contested shots and make them even if they're contested. It also makes it way too hard to get good open shots, because you could be passing the ball around and get a wide open shot for a good shooter, but he will miss simply because he wasn't in his hot spot.

So, my question regarding hotspots...even though iminurbase claims that hotspots are gone, could there still be some hidden hot spot code left in the game? I really think there is still some type of hot spot B.S. going on, as I will see players make way too many contested 3's from certain areas of the court - they seem unstoppable when shooting from these spots...even if they are double teamed and contested.

basically, it should be as simple as this: if a player is a good mid-range shooter, he should be able to make an open mid range shot from anywhere in mid range. he shouldn't have to be standing on a specific area of the court in order to make an open shot. basically, the only thing that should matter is if he's open and is shooting within his range.

Last edited by blues rocker; 04-05-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #346
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Can you guys look at the player rotations in Dynasty Mode? They are really out of whack.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #347
MVP

mrclutch's Arena

OVR: 20

Hey Garreth,

I noticed on one of the Previews for NBA Jam that the Game was going to have classic players like Larry Bird. Don't suppose this could mean anything to us LIVE fans for next year?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #348
NBA LIVE Producer

iminurbase's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
Can you guys look at the player rotations in Dynasty Mode? They are really out of whack.
Looking at that now.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #349
NBA LIVE Producer

iminurbase's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
there has been some discussion in another thread regarding hotspots in Live - the thread is titled:"http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-new-user.html" (click for the link).

I was told directly by iminurbase that all hotspot code was completely removed in Live 10 and was not part of the game...BUT, I doubt the truth of that, as I see way too many people online hit ridiculous 3's with defenders right on them...certain players will make WAY too many shots from the corner 3 area of the court...even when heavily contested by a defender, and the only thing I can think of that is causing this is the existence of a hot spot in the corner 3 area of the court.

I personally think hotspots are a terrible thing, as it makes it too arbitrary as to whether your shot goes in. I'm sorry, but If I shoot with a good outside shooter and he's wide open, he should make the shot, it shouldn't matter if he's on a hot spot or not...a good shooter shouldn't miss just because he's not standing in a hot spot...

on the other side, a shooter shouldn't be able to make insane contested shots just because he's shooting from one of his hot spots. If the shot is contested, it should miss. Hot spots just completely go against what video games are about as it makes shot success predetermined and not based on strategy and getting open looks. with a hot spot system, shot success basically becomes as easy as running to a "magical" spot and jacking up shots with no regard for whether you're guarded or not. it allows dummies and lazy people to score without thinking at all. it basically makes defense completely worthless, since a guy can just run to his hot spot and jack up contested shots and make them even if they're contested. It also makes it way too hard to get good open shots, because you could be passing the ball around and get a wide open shot for a good shooter, but he will miss simply because he wasn't in his hot spot.

So, my question regarding hotspots...even though iminurbase claims that hotspots are gone, could there still be some hidden hot spot code left in the game? I really think there is still some type of hot spot B.S. going on, as I will see players make way too many contested 3's from certain areas of the court - they seem unstoppable when shooting from these spots...even if they are double teamed and contested.

basically, it should be as simple as this: if a player is a good mid-range shooter, he should be able to make an open mid range shot from anywhere in mid range. he shouldn't have to be standing on a specific area of the court in order to make an open shot. basically, the only thing that should matter is if he's open and is shooting within his range.
I promise they aren't there.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #350
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminurbase
Looking at that now.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 04-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #351
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminurbase
I promise they aren't there.
ok...thanks for the confirmation - well, if hot spot code is not in the game, then there must be something that is leading to unstoppable 3's from certain players (especially Mo Williams, Daniel Gibson, and Anthony Parker - all Cavs players).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #352
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
Iminurbase, the rotations look a lot better now. I don't know if the last DNA update had anything to do with it, but for the most part, guys are all in their correct positions. Only things I noticed was Deron Williams still playing SG and Jonny Flynn sitting the bench in Minn. Oh, and Indiana's roster looked off.

This was taking the Dynamic Roster into the game. When I try and load my custom rosters, the rotations are all jacked up.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »