Home

Ask the devs : AI/Ratings

This is a discussion on Ask the devs : AI/Ratings within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #81
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23
Re: Ask the devs : AI/Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigball12
You guys have definitely added Clear Path fouls correct? There is nothing more frustrating than having your opponent foul you with a wide open lane, and not get reprimanded for doing so. Also, what about tie-ups, and jump balls during the games? Thanks!
I read all the sticky threads so no need to cross post

Yes to clear lane fouls (stepsix added this a while back based on community feedback), no to tie ups and jump balls for this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 AM   #82
MVP

bigball12's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
I read all the sticky threads so no need to cross post

Yes to clear lane fouls (stepsix added this a while back based on community feedback), no to tie ups and jump balls for this year.
Well good about the Clear path, hopefully tie ups for Elite 12. Could you answer my team play questions by any chance too? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #83
MVP

bigball12's Arena

OVR: 12

Oh and rEAnimator, I meant to also add, what about being able to select who to take the tip off with? For example, the C does not always take the tip-off. Josh Smith plays PF and takes the tip for the Hawks. And finally, what about the PG being able to pass the inbounds, and will we be able to choose inbounders this year? In Live 10, no matter what, the PG position could not pass the ball inbounds, will this change? Rondo in late game situations passes the ball in due to his poor FT shooting.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 AM   #84
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Well good about the Clear path, hopefully tie ups for Elite 12. Could you answer my team play questions by any chance too? Thanks!
Sorry, can't talk about online or game modes.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #85
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Oh and rEAnimator, I meant to also add, what about being able to select who to take the tip off with? For example, the C does not always take the tip-off. Josh Smith plays PF and takes the tip for the Hawks. And finally, what about the PG being able to pass the inbounds, and will we be able to choose inbounders this year? In Live 10, no matter what, the PG position could not pass the ball inbounds, will this change? Rondo in late game situations passes the ball in due to his poor FT shooting.
It would be nice but I doubt they changed the inbound passing just because it's just as easy just to inbound to your SG. Better than 2k, it won't let you inbound with either guard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #86
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicio10
Sorry if this post makes me question your understanding of the game of basketball. If a center isn't a perimeter threat, he doesn't clear out on an isolation, because his defender would just cheat in the paint.

Live 10 would have big men at the 3 point line frequently, and to start the offense too. I want Okur, Bonner, Harrington, Bargnani at the 3 point line, not Shaq, Howard, Noah and others.

This leads me to a question. Does Elite 11 actually have real help defense? I have yet to see that in a basketball videogame. It would be sad to see this game just be about analog ankle breaking and dunks/layups. We need help-side defense for a drive, kick, ball rotation NBA experience.
I know what you're saying re bigs on the perimeter - we break the big men down into different types and under almost all circumstances try to keep bigs that can't shoot in the post...there are times when court spacing can trump shot percentages (and I'm not saying this from a basketball standpoint, but from a videogame standpoint)...court spacing is one of the trickiest problems to get right - there are inevitable clumps in the post, but if you're looking to iso with your star player, from a game standpoint you're better off having more room to work with. That being said there's zero point in having shaq outside the 3pt line, so we definitely try to find a position that can create a compromize between maximum spacing and offensive positioning.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the help d in live 10...if you can provide some specific feedback that would be much appreciated. I spent a fair amount of time tuning and improving this year's help d...both to better flaws I saw in last year's, as well as to take advantage of the new locomotion & physics systems. When to double, who to choose as the double teamer, who and when to help the helper have all been looked at.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #87
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffychicken
It would be nice but I doubt they changed the inbound passing just because it's just as easy just to inbound to your SG. Better than 2k, it won't let you inbound with either guard.
The inbound flow was re-written this year, but this is not something we addressed. Technically if you wanted to execute this you could call a timeout, put Rondo into a position other than PG through subs, and then run the inbound.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #88
Pro

Haval93's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsix
The inbound flow was re-written this year, but this is not something we addressed. Technically if you wanted to execute this you could call a timeout, put Rondo into a position other than PG through subs, and then run the inbound.
Don't know if this is the right thread but will ask anyways.

Have you guys put in any help or defensive mechanics to stop the Give and Go. Players online call an isolation and give the ball to a big man and use the off-ball control to head to the basket and catch the ball ever time for an easy dunk or alley-op. It's like this for the whole game and no matter if you change your defensive they still get easy dunks. You guys address this?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »