Home

Ask the devs : AI/Ratings

This is a discussion on Ask the devs : AI/Ratings within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #49
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 11
Re: Ask the devs : AI/Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
stepsix - Question, is there logic written regarding the CPU acknowledging when a successful play(meaning they scored) occurs? And do they try to repeat the successful plays until they don't score?

This would bring a CPU dynamic that feels more human. It also forces the user to adjust or else the play will keep happening until they can't score with it anymore.

I know human players always run their favorite plays over and over. Aside from the CPU Adjusting to the plays by double teaming, can the CPU assign different match ups or change their man to man to zone if I'm making more inside shots than outside shots?
We are not tracking successful plays (but that is a good idea). We rely predominantly on Synergy to get the plays running for the right guys, but to the inverse of what you said it would also be good to know if a guy who is supposed to be hot is not scoring and change the AI up accordingly.

CPU will change their defense up from man to zone, but it doesn't switch matchups from a strategic level. It will switch in transition and on screens, but that doesn't always result in favourable matchups
Old 07-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #50
NBA Elite Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winson~~
Two questions:

1) Will the CPU use the most powerful stopper (e.g. Battier) to matchup with the opponent's key player (e.g. Kobe Bryant)? Because the CPU will only use SF to check opponent's SF, SG to check opponent's SG now.

2) Will the CPU recognize the weak point of the opponent's team and attack the weak point frequently? (e.g. Lakers play more in the paint area when facing up Warriors)
Same answer I gave to MJ applies to your first question...not currently but it's a great idea and I'll add it to my personal list.

There are a number of aspects in which the cpu recognizes mismatches, both on offense and defense, but it is an area I'd like to expand on.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #51
NBA Elite Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I posted a similar question in the physics thread, but this question probably fits better in this thread.

Has anything been done to improve dunking logic by the CPU and the human controlled player? I've seen too many instances in past games where guys are trying 360 windmills when there's two or three defenders in their way. Not only do these fancy dunks give the defense a chance to make a block, but it looks very unrealistic. No matter how good of a dunker a guy is, he's not going to be trying to pull off showboat dunks in the middle of a crowd.

Is there any way to separate dunks into different categories? Maybe have "traffic dunks" and "open floor dunks?" This way the showboat dunks could be classified as "open floor dunks" and could only be triggered if 1) the players dunk rating is high enough 2) he has a clear path to the hoop and 3) there are no defenders within a certain distance behind or to the side of him. Traffic dunks would occur more frequently and would be the kind of dunks you typically see in a real game. It would make things look more realistic, and it would much more satisfying when you did pull off a fancy, "open floor dunk."
Yep - we make the distinction and flag certain dunks as in traffic and others as open lane.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #52
MVP

BiggD's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototyper23
Yea but, the still shouldnt be doing a euro step in one place and I understand what you're saying but Lebron is very strong and durant is tall but he's 20 pounds skinner than bron and bron is somewhat more agressive but they're both good, I just wish that mishappening to be removed.
I think what we really wanna see there is better collison detection, plus a charge or blocking foul
3.Blake Griffin
4.Ben Wallace
5.Shawn Kemp
Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #53
NBA Elite Developer

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD
I think what we really wanna see there is better collison detection, plus a charge or blocking foul
I know the video clip you're talking about, and it's on my list of things to fix.

The pro hops and euro steps are currently only half using the physics system, which is why you see the ugly and unrealistic result in the video.

By the time we ship we'll have addressed it one way or another.

What you describe with the charge/block is one option, but there are other options that I'd like to explore as well.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsix
Same answer I gave to MJ applies to your first question...not currently but it's a great idea and I'll add it to my personal list.

There are a number of aspects in which the cpu recognizes mismatches, both on offense and defense, but it is an area I'd like to expand on.
Ah excellent. I'm assuming a situation when a point guard switches through a screen onto a center and my A.I. teammates recognize that and help the point guard, correct?

Also, is there an independent from synergy logic regarding taking shots when the A.I. is wide open? Both games last year had the classic A.I. frustration when they don't take blatant wide open shots.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 8

One of my biggest problems with NHL 10 is how the game engine represents an increase in difficulty. Primarily, boosting CPU players individual abilities ie. greater acceleration, greater shot accuracy,faster response tactically (Sticklift, then take off with the puck), etc... Anyway, what makes this even more frustrating is the Human players deteriorating individual skills in relation to increasing the difficulty level.

Quite Frankly, it feels like they superfy the CPU players, while dumbifying the Human players in order to create an artificial competitive environment. Which, by the way, drove me to the point of removing the game from my PS3 and gently placing it back in its case, then placing the case on the floor and stomping on it twice, then placing the game back in the drawer where it is usually kept. No, I don't know whether it is still functional. Anyway, I digress.

The point is this; How do you intend to differentiate the differences in difficulty levels? I for one would rather see more or less basketball IQ related to difficulty. As well as better execution of Picks, passes, plays and maybe slightly - shot percentages. I will be very disappointed if all you do to represent the difference in difficulty is boost cpu individual attributes while taking away from Human player individual attributes.

Bottom Line, the difficulty levels should reflect how well the CPU plays basketball. It should have nothing to do with the individual ratings and/or boosting of the cpu players attributes.

MrMars
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #56
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

^^ and that problem i know is solved when players are rated accurately to their role in the offense and abilities....

now i know the cpu will make more contested shots i can live with that but its not as rediculous as other sport titles....

i dont think live has this issue IMO but then again i use edited rosters.

#18 greatest EVA....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »