Home

50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14

This is a discussion on 50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14 within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #1289
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: 50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14

Josh, would you have any suggestions on how to increase the difficulty without jeopardizing too much gameplay? As I mentioned in my other post, the animations and speed of the game are amazing, it's just a somewhat easy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #1290
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie525
Josh, would you have any suggestions on how to increase the difficulty without jeopardizing too much gameplay? As I mentioned in my other post, the animations and speed of the game are amazing, it's just a somewhat easy.

I am not seeing anything amiss. I played the same Bama/Va Tech game with the 2013 roster. The thing was, because Tech's defense that year was really stout, I picked McCarron a couple of times early and shut down Yeldon fairly well. But, they pulled away in the second half as they made adjustments and I lost by like 27-10 or something like that....it wasn't too far off the "flavor" of how that game played-out in real life.

Now, I will say this...I've had plenty of games where doubt started to creep in as to whether this setup is viable. Every time, that doubt was answered....there is just this ebb and flow to everything; I've learned to just let things play out. With this setup, I've been blown-out; I've had tough games go both ways, I have even had true defensive games.

To your question: I have no idea what "somewhat easy" means. I have no idea what you've been seeing, what roster you've been using, how many games you've played, what matchups, what the relative coach aggression settings were in those games, etc.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #1291
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I am not seeing anything amiss. I played the same Bama/Va Tech game with the 2013 roster. The thing was, because Tech's defense that year was really stout, I picked McCarron a couple of times early and shut down Yeldon fairly well. But, they pulled away in the second half as they made adjustments and I lost by like 27-10 or something like that....it wasn't too far off the "flavor" of how that game played-out in real life.

Now, I will say this...I've had plenty of games where doubt started to creep in as to whether this setup is viable. Every time, that doubt was answered....there is just this ebb and flow to everything; I've learned to just let things play out. With this setup, I've been blown-out; I've had tough games go both ways, I have even had true defensive games.

To your question: I have no idea what "somewhat easy" means. I have no idea what you've been seeing, what roster you've been using, how many games you've played, what matchups, what the relative coach aggression settings were in those games, etc.
If someone is unsure of any slider set I would recommend finding the most even rated teams you can find on the schedule in team overalls on offense and defense. Then check ratings for matchups. As you play these games you will see what needs tweaked if anything.

Josh, I know in the past you have done testing on oline and dline gameplay. Do you still feel it is best at higher settings or is 50 more to your liking as far as penalties are concerned?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #1292
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977

Yeah that's my bad, I'll definitely try to explain more in depth in future posts. When I mentioned it was "somewhat easy", I just felt like it was too easy when Bama had 99's across the board and VT was 88 on o and 95 on d. Since tech does have a good defensive rating, I understand what you're talking about, but I thought my offense was too easy, given Bamas defensive rating. I also took GrayDawgs idea and played a game with teams that had the same ratings...and its awesome to see how the all american difficulty allows for the players ratings to come into affect, but the CPU seems to kind of spazz out in some situations. Like when I blitz, most of the time they take their drop back and chuck it out of bounds, and when running in open space, they almost twitch from side to side, which seems to slow them down. In no way am I complaining because I know how hard you and others work to make this game fun and realistic, I just wanted to post what I've seen and its unfortunate that its so hard to get everything to balance in this game...

Last edited by VTHokie525; 07-31-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #1293
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

OK, so I played around a little bit last night using the OP on straight Heisman difficulty. There were both positives and negatives to be seen.

User offense vs CPU defense is really imbalanced. It's a fair bit easier to pass the ball as CPU defenders are way too aggressive...so what you get is tight coverage, you throw the ball into a tight window, but then the defender over-reacts to the ball - opening a gap for your receiver to catch the pass for big gains. Block shed does not properly reflect ratings either and results in hyper-inflated TFL numbers. The user run game is very hit-or-miss - if they hit your guy, he is going down; the tackle dynamics are HORRIBLE here. Again, the CPU really over commits often, so plays like read options can be more easily run (although, with all sliders at default, it isn't as easy as it is with most Heisman slider sets). If you're a cheesy dink-and-dunker or a guy that just rolls out or drops back 20 yards on every pass play, Heisman is the way to go. If you play more "sim" and actually step up in the pocket, read coverages and throw downfield into windows, then All American is going to provide a significantly more realistic and challenging gameplay experience.

User defense vs CPU offense is a fair bit more interesting. Sure, the CPU QBs are pretty accurate but the good thing here is that with all other settings at default, your defenders have an actual chance to break passes up and make plays on the ball so completion percentages can stay low-ish. The CPU obviously plays with more aggression on Heisman but thus far, I really have seen minimal negative impacts. Probably the biggest negative is that you're going to see far less QB differentiation at this difficulty setting (and CPU QB passes will pretty much all be thrown at high velo). But, if you're a person that controls a LB or DB on defense or you 'switch' heavily...or if you just don't mind a little more "arcade" for a bigger challenge on that side of the ball, heisman is definitely a viable option here.

In short, I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Heisman difficulty for user offense. However, I do think both All American and Heisman are viable for user defense.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #1294
Rookie

fightingirish595's Arena

Josh, what do you do if a player over 90 overall wants to go pro and is an underclassman?
Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #1295
Rookie

iverson3's Arena

OVR: 3

Just confused where the game sliders are? Are you saying the second post on the first page is what I should set for user/cpu game sliders or is that outdated?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #1296
MVP

I'm using these sliders and recruiting restrictions in my teambuilder dynasty -coach mode - and I like them. I only recently changed sub frequency for all coaches to 50 and it does make a difference. Unfortunately I set coach progression to slow instead of normal but I'm enjoying the game with these settings. With South Dakota as my home state the recruiting is challenging.

I do have one question. My current kicker is a junior and thus far with these recruiting restrictions I've had zero kickers or punters eligible to be recruited. If I don't recruit a kicker or punter will a kicker/punter walk on to the team or will I be without a kicker/punter?

The only change I made was I play on 15 minute quarters. Recently lost to OU 28-25 with these sliders and settings. Setting all coach sub frequency to 50 is a big part of these sliders working.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »