Home

5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

This is a discussion on 5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5 within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

To me 2K football is my preferred choice for football games, while many aspects of each game can be subjective on what is better, it comes down to personal choice. It just so happens there is a large number of 2K fans who enjoy the game more than current or past Maddens. If you enjoy the game more does that make it the better playing football game? To that individual, certainly.

Now, I think, as a complete package, NFL 2K5 is leading the charge for the best NFL football gaming experience, that sadly I think Madden hasn’t been able to overtake yet, but from a strictly gameplay experience, I would still choose APF 2K8 to this day because I get the most enjoyment from that game from a gameplay experience on what a football should play like, thus knowing what I enjoy makes Madden a very dull experience for me and not worth my time playing, and certainly, the aspects that I enjoy the most, I think, 2K football does a much better job at emulating them that from what I’ve seen or played from Madden, that it just doesn’t compete, so I’ll continue to play APF 2K8 and NFL 2K5 and talk about how great I think they are until the newest football video game that comes out provides me with more enjoyment than the past games.

So is NFL 2K5 overrated, maybe, if you enjoy Madden and are accustom to that experience, but for the many of 2K fans that enjoy that 2K football and how it plays, certainly not.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-23-2022, 07:42 PM   #50
Rookie

parkej13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSL97
Let me preface this by saying 2k5 did some things much better than madden 05, namely the presentation...that Chris Berman half time show till this day is better than any half time show madden has ever done...BUT in the face of nostalgia people tend to romanticize nfl 2k5, overlooking its flaws and seeing at it as a product that it was never meant to be...

1) The Commentary- This is one area of the game that has consistently received praise throughout the years and im not too sure why- Dan Stevens and Pete O’Keefe were incredibly generic and repetitive and one could tell they had no real experience calling nfl games even without the knowledge they were fictional characters ie voice actors...bottom line they were simply a product of 2k not putting money into getting real nfl commentators and 2k did this early on with their nba series as well with Rod West and Bob Steele...the fact that 2k ported nearly all their lines from 2k5 to 2k8 is one of many aspects that showed how much effort 2k really put into Apf 2k8 (not very much at all)

2. The Barebones Franchise Mode- It wasn’t even a debate in 2004 which football game had the better franchise experience, madden ran away with that one very much like how 2k ran away with the presentation aspect of the game...Game Prep was extremely tedious and broken and player progression was broken as well with Larry Fitzgerald guaranteed to be a superstar no matter what...you couldn’t edit players in-season and the mode as a whole felt more or less like a traditional season mode rather than a franchise mode, the only thing 2k did better here was the Chris Berman weekly wrap-up show which bests anything madden has done in that department to this day

3) The Gameplay- In the context of 2004 football gaming, 2k5’s gameplay was rock-solid and its animations were smooth and natural-looking...however madden has surpassed 2k in many aspects in the gameplay department since then and people who still cite 2k5’s gameplay as the standard for gameplay in a football game are quite delusional and probably haven’t picked up a madden title in 15 years...even in the context of 2004, animations were very repetitive, you had little control over a WR or DB playing the ball, special teams was flat out broken as you rarely if ever could return a kick for a touchdown, there was no hitstick/equivalent to the hitstick which simulated real tackling much better than 2k’s button mashing component, etc...its cool to see people still finding value in a football game 18 years old but to say 2k5’s gameplay is better than modern-day madden’s is just absurd

4. The Crib- I’ve watched the 2k5 retrospective videos and seen people talk about The Crib as if it was some game-changing feature...unbeknownst to a lot of 2k5 players is the fact that the crib ALSO appeared in nba 2k5, as the mode was simply part of the 2k brand at the time much like the VIP viewer that also appeared in nba 2k games for years...the crib was a fun feature in hindsight but was a pure gimmick that would’ve inevitably been removed had the nfl 2k series continued on...it was removed from the nba series in 2k8

5. First Person Football- Another feature that gets high praise in the community...this was a great concept and 2k was ahead of their time with this one in light of the popularity of VR today but the actual execution of this mode left a lot to be desired...to put it simply playing FPF could be very headache-inducing...I could see the praise being justified if this was some early version of a myplayer/superstar mode but this was simply a gimmicky feature that would’ve been scrapped after 2k6 when 2k would’ve had to make their own version of a superstar mode for 2k7 in an alternate reality where competition existed beyond 2004...its quite interesting to think that the nba series could’ve gotten a myplayer mode 3 years earlier had this been the case...

I actually made a thread like this one a couple of months ago. I even conducted a poll, Madden 05 VS 2k5, and 2K5 won hands down. I think it really comes down to what people want in a football game. I agree with everything you said. I think the main reason people laud 2k5 til this day is because of the little details and game play is probably the biggest one. I don't think anyone would say 2k5 had a good franchise mode. Madden 2005 blew 2k5s franchise mode out of the water. The presentation of 2k5 was and still is miles ahead of Madden. That said, I agree with you about the fake commentary team on 2k5. They sound so corny, and the one with the really high voice is very irritating. The sound effects on the field are also terrible. And yes, the progression system was broken! Tom Brady, a 6th round pick, would have never came to be based on how progression works in 2k5. Now, I've been a very huge critic of Madden, and won't play anything after Madden 17, because the Frostbite engine of Madden ruined the series. Madden has become a game dictated only by animations. However, me personally, I would play any of the older Maddens, 05 thru 08, or Madden 10, 12, or 25 before I even thought about playing 2k5.

The game, is just not as good as people hype it up to be, and I tried playing it many times. The franchise mode is garbage, you can't edit players, outside of their jersey numbers and again, player progression simply doesn't work! For those of you who like to play coach and use spectate mode in 2k5, you will be very disappointed because even the great Tom Brady will throw about 7 interceptions per game. You have to continually tap the sprint button to get a speed burst. Try moving a free safety to strong safety on your depth chart in 2k5....good luck! Even the newer Maddens that are terrible have more to offer than 2k5, but again, it's all a matter of opinion and what one wants out of a simulation football game. IMO, the only thing good about 2k5 is the presentation and the gameplay, but that's really it! I can understand those who like the solid gameplay, but the gameplay alone is not going to cut it for me, no matter how many times people MOD this game. All of the previous Maddens I've mentioned are better than 2k5, when you look at what they offer as a total package. The funny thing is, 2k5 fans slam current Maddens for the lack of franchise features, but conveniently ignore the lack of features in 2k5. What am I missing?
Madden 10
Madden 12
NCAA Football 06
NCAA Football 13
College Hoops 2K8
Old 06-26-2022, 05:17 PM   #51
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkej13
The funny thing is, 2k5 fans slam current Maddens for the lack of franchise features, but conveniently ignore the lack of features in 2k5. What am I missing?
Trust me, we were vocal about 2K5's franchise issues back then. That was also 18 years ago though.

To go almost two decades and three console generations later, Madden being where it is with franchise mode is unforgiveable, especially when they have removed features, delivered empty promises, and at times simply abandoned their franchise customer base.

That is why people are upset.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2022, 10:39 PM   #52
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

One of the things I loved most about 2k5 ,and 2k football in general, was the ability to call your dline stunts/twists separately from your blitzes and coverages. It was awesome having an almost limitless amount of playcalls at your disposal on defense.

I always felt that, if they had been able to continue, Visual Concepts would have done the same.on offense, allowing you to call your protections/blocking scheme separately from the routes.

In terms of franchise mode, one thing that's overlooked about NFL2k5, was the control you had over how contracts were structured. You could backload, or frontload, even middle load or balance the payout.

And as you put the offer together and manipulated the numbers, it showed you how it would affect your CAP, including the yearly CAP space and dead money penalty (for releasing the player) over the duration of the offer. This made managing the CAP a sort of game within the game.

If NFL2k had kept going, I'm sure we'd have eventually seen incentives, roster/workout bonuses and no-trade clauses as options in negotiations along with counteroffers from the player's representative(s).
Old 06-29-2022, 10:28 AM   #53
Worst Gamer Ever

timisone's Arena

OVR: 6

I feel like if I posted the top 5 overrated things about Madden in the Madden forum it would be closed. So why is this not? This is very negative about 2k5.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #54

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by timisone
I feel like if I posted the top 5 overrated things about Madden in the Madden forum it would be closed. So why is this not? This is very negative about 2k5.

Negative conversation about a game isn’t against the TOS and wouldn’t be closed.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:38 AM   #55
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by timisone

It just has to be constructive. The reasons listed in the OP are specific even if we are talking about a game released almost 20 years ago.

I’ve done that on here with madden for years now and generally stay out of trouble. My experience with Madden 23 beta was so terrible I simply posted describing it as garbage without detailing the many various reasons I hated it…and I got a warning for trolling.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2022, 08:16 AM   #56
Worst Gamer Ever

timisone's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Negative conversation about a game isn’t against the TOS and wouldn’t be closed.
SO I could open the most overrated things about madden?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »