Home

2008 Chicago Bears Den

This is a discussion on 2008 Chicago Bears Den within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #57
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: 2008 Chicago Bears Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
What came first, the chicken or the egg...right?

Didn't we have some guy who was franchise running back who ran all over the nation with a horrible o-line back in the 70's. I think it was 77 he avg liked what 130 yrds a game. Now I would figure that if a true " franchise" RB can do that with no O-line or passing game to speak of, then why can't we find a true franchise QB who can do that with a little bit better O-Line....
And I agree, great players are going to shine no matter what the circumstances. BUT it's not going to help the team win, let alone win the championship, if they don't have the cast around them.

Peyton Manning would put up decent numbers even on this team but the wins wouldn't be there.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #58
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
And I agree, great players are going to shine no matter what the circumstances. BUT it's not going to help the team win, let alone win the championship, if they don't have the cast around them.

Peyton Manning would put up decent numbers even on this team but the wins wouldn't be there.

Ahh, so very true Dice
Old 08-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #59
The Bird is the word

Bighoff's Arena

OVR: 19

Let's say the Chicago adds 2 quality offensive lineman in the off season through free agency. Does anyone think Stafford, Painter, or Tebow is a franchise QB?
I've heard this "patience is a virtue" junk all my life. I'm happy to say I have no virtue, no scruples, and no desire to wait too long for anything. In my humble opinion instant gratification takes too long!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #60
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoff63
Let's say the Chicago adds 2 quality offensive lineman in the off season through free agency. Does anyone think Stafford, Painter, or Tebow is a franchise QB?
I wouldn't mind seeing what Stafford can do. I think of three you mentioned Hoff, that Stafford has the best shot of being a good NFL QB.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Walter's rookie year was 1975, the first year I started really watching the Bears. I remember the 70's teams very well. And Walter was obviously a beast.

But it wasn't until the 80's that Finks built up the lines. Covert, Thayer, Hilgerburg, Bortz, Van Horn, that line was DEATH. That extended Walter's career, cuz he was a marked man. McMahon brought the threat of a real passing game..but he couldn't stay heathy. That was the single reason the Bears weren't a dynasty. BUT at least they won a freaking super bowl.

Since those days the team has barely bothered to commit to rebuilding that line. What did we do instead? We drafted guys like Salaam, Enis, Conway, trade our pick for Rick Mirer, McNoun, David Terrell, Cedric Benson. Grossman etc. Only three first round Olineman (this year included) drafted since Jimbo Covert in 1983! That's 25 years.

All these guys bust. All of 'em. Why? Didn't other teams have them reasonably high on their draft boards. We draft guys like Grossman and McNown who everyone loved coming out of college. We get all excited about them, then after 4-5 shaky games the media, the fans all immediately want them out. Get that flashy passer out and give me that scappy dink and dunk artist.

Everyone wanted Jim Miller because he was "steady". The fans here simply can't sit through bad rookie QB seasons. Never have, never will. They'll throw their hands up immediately and want the next guy....then the next guy...then the next guy...and it never ends...ever. No QB will ever get developed here. First we bitch that he's on the bench and he should get in their and take his lumps. . . then when he does we'll bitch the he should be pulled for (insert dink and dunk QB here).

Last year the Bears gave up over 40 sacks. Was it all 3 QB's faults? Cuz they all played. The running game averaged a whopping 3.1 yards per carry. Dead LAST in the NFL. C'mon now Thomas Jones was soild, but he aint LT. 3.1 per carry? These guys were getting killed every snap.

I just wonder which 'journalist' will have the nut to call out Olin Kreutz who's play has been down the toilet for the last 3 years but nobody calls im out on it. He fumbles exchanges with every QB, yet it was only an issue with Rex. And he gets pushed around way too much now.

If they could I'd trade some defensive studs and retool a little bit while also improving from the draft. But this team is at best 3 years away from having an NFL offense. And on top of it all, there's still Ron Turner.

Last edited by Jistic; 08-19-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #62
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

How about the Bears cannot draft offense, period! For the last 25 years we've had a total of five draft picks that represented the Bears in a pro-bowl. Five freakin guys!

And yes, Olin Kruetz needs to go fast.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

They can't. Angelo never could. Look at his track record in Tampa. He couldn't draft offense there either.

But more than that is they don't develop anyone. All these top 10-15 picks, all busting. Hell, just trade our picks for veterans from now on.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #64
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Kyle Orton named starting QB...thoughts?
link

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »