Home

Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced

This is a discussion on Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #49
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Battlefield 2: Bad Company and Battlefield 1943 announced

the first game had good online. they had a squad system that worked great and made you work together. the problem on the PS3 was the voice chat would cut out after a couple of minutes and I don't know if they ever fixed it. I played with Moses a couple of times and I'm sure he can back me up on this.

Last edited by Eton Rifles; 04-25-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #50
AB>

Moses Shuttlesworth's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eton Rifles
the first game have good online. they had a squad system that worked great and made you work together. the problem on the PS3 was the voice chat would cut out after a couple of minutes and I don't know if they ever fixed it. I played with Moses a couple of times and I'm sure he can back me up on this.
yeah it's true. we had some good games but there were some minor bugs that kind of annoyed me.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #51
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

DICE: We learned valuable lessons from Bad Company release

Quote:
That's according to creative director Lars Gustavsson, who told GamesIndustry.biz that while he was "extremely pleased" with the way the game turned out, he felt that the team went into the game with a slightly wrong view of what the console shooter market was.

"I came from the PC audience before starting up here and for a long, long time - to be honest all the way up to Bad Company - I was knee-deep in PC titles, which probably coloured my opinion on what a shooter is, and what it should be," he explained.

"To me, Battlefield: Bad Company was an eye-opener, and for a very long time I think the PC audience was seen as the hardcore, the most competitive and dedicated audience. Maybe at one time that was partially true, but now we definitely see a fanatic shooter audience on console.

"I think one of our biggest mistakes with Battlefield: Bad Company for example was that when we started making it, laying out the plans, the view on the gamer was that it's a console audience, and we need to treat them a bit more gently, since they're less experienced...

"Well, when we shipped it - it was quite a long project - the audience had grown, matured, played more online... so they knew what a shooter on a console should be like, what to expect.

"So I think in some areas, as lead designer on that project, I feel that we could have done a better job of meeting those expectations, even though I was extremely pleased with the project."

Gustavsson, who has been with DICE since the very first Battlefield game was created, added that the feedback has influenced the way the team is approaching future titles.

"It definitely does," he said. "I was lead designer on Battlefield 2 for example and on that one we picked out the elements that we felt were missing from Battlefield 1942. And then in 2142 we tried to make it easier to find friends to go out and play online, and so on.

"Now, looking at our console audience, we just had this discussion that we should more or less handle them on equal terms. A lot of PC players like me have become old farts, with children at home, and it's harder to find the time to sit in front of the PC. Therefore, when they find a good shooter title they'll expect more or less the same possibilities when they fight it out in a console game as they would in a Battlefield PC title.

"It still means that what we've always had as a mantra but never really succeeded in delivering on is that we've always had quite a high entry level into the franchise - it can be overwhelming to come into, especially the early games where we didn't have any proper matchmaking. But that's something we're working with, regardless of whether it's PC or console, we just want to give people a more gentle way into the franchise."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #52
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

Old 05-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #53
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

TeamXbox: Battlefield 1943 Hands-On Preview

Quote:
After getting some significant hands-on time with Battlefield 1943 (courtesy of EA at its pre-E3 event last week on the EALA campus), it’s become clear that DICE has recaptured that original, seminal game’s feel, while presenting an intriguing new hallmark of what you can expect from a downloaded console game. It’s similar to how Battlefield 1942 spawned a whole new multiplayer gameplay meme with its inclusion of vehicles, classes and other innovations that rival games would mimic for years. They still do.
Quote:
There is only one game mode, but it’s much more satisfying than Team Deathmatch types of to-do’s. Conquest has you capturing different points on an island, which then become spawn points for fallen players as well as vehicles and gun mounts. It’s a familiar type of gameplay, thanks in no small part to the original game. Since there isn’t much good reason to mess with that proven formula, the gamemakers have kept the game pretty much entirely intact when it comes to features of the gameplay. You’ve still got planes and tanks and jeeps, and you still play the game mostly the same way.

The cutbacks come more sharply in the map list. There are only three this time around, concentrating on South Pacific islands that were the backdrop of the conflict between the United States and Japan: Wake Island, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima.They are quite large, though, and you’ll have plenty of different experiences fighting across different parts of them. I’m not saying it won’t get old at some point; three maps can only stretch so far. But we understand there are restraints that must be made when releasing something over Xbox Live.
Quote:
And that illustrates one of the problems inherent in the original that carries over here. Battlefield 1942 games could often devolve into chaos, because of the size of the map or from a player list overladen with newbs that don’t know how to play with each other. As in the original, Battlefield 1943 will be a lot more fun with some experienced gamers on your team. Otherwise, it’s just a parade of spawning soldiers grabbing vehicles to drive themselves to the front lines, ditching said vehicles, fighting, dying, rinse, repeat.

Hopefully, gamers have become much more sophisticated, and finding a good match online won’t be too much trouble. [Cue laugh track here.] But seriously, when Battlefield is fun, it’s fun. It’s challenging, too. Flying planes is definitely not easier; in fact, it’s harder to fly an F4U Corsair in this game than it is in the recently released Battlestations: Pacific, and that game is intended to be more realistic. It’s not the only similarity between the two games, but they couldn’t be farther from each other in the way they play.

Even though it’s sort of an abridged remake, the new graphics powered by the Frostbite engine, along with a few new tweaks and additions to the gameplay (the Bomber Shack attack is particularly cool), should give old fans a reason to check this game. Being a ton of fun should be enough for neophytes.
New Screens

Old 05-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #54
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

I guess there going for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type game.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #55
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Multiplayer Hands-on

Quote:
What we played was the Rush gameplay mode on a snowy Alaskan map dubbed Port Valdez. Rush, if you recall from Bad Company, is a mode that divides players into attacking and defending teams and has them fight over a series of crates. The attacking team is out to destroy these crates in order to push the defending team deeper into their own territory, whereas the defending team's job is to withstand the onslaught until the attacking team runs out of respawns. Like in the Conquest mode featured in the earlier games, momentum is a big factor in Rush.

Although Rush is a familiar feature for those who played Bad Company, Port Valdez's snowy landscape is a marked departure from the green forests and brown desert maps that made up the first game's combat zones. But once again, vehicles are your best option for traversing the terrain. On this map, we spotted the tanks and helicopters that you'd expect, plus a new vehicle in the form of a four-wheel ATV. These zippy little quads are much quicker and nimbler than the vehicles seen in the first Bad Company, which seems to add a bit more unpredictability when you see one flying around the corner. They make it easier to get from point to point, but unlike taking a seat in an armored jeep, you're pretty much a sitting duck on one of these things.

Upping the pace of combat is one of the new goals for DICE. One way the company is seeking to do this is by making players a bit easier to kill, which in turn makes the flow of deaths and respawns a bit faster. The medic needle that was used to restore health in the first game has been done away with in favor of regenerating health, but when you take damage it takes a good, long while to restore yourself--noticeably longer than other shooters that sport regenerating health. You'll also see a streamlined control system that includes the ability to knife people with a dedicated melee button, keeping you from having to switch from gun to knife and back again.

The class system has been given a bit of a jumble, with the number of roles dropping from five to four. Those featured in Bad Company 2 will be Assault (traditional soldier class), Engineer (repair vehicles), Recon (sniper), and Medic (heal your teammates with a defibrillator). But despite the fact that the number of classes has been reduced, you're actually given quite a bit more flexibility with additional customizable kits. Not only can you mix and match primary and secondary weapons more easily across different classes, but you can also customize a good many parts of your gun such as the scope and grenade-launcher type.

Trailer

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ba...player-trailer

Screens

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #56
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

really looking forward to this. They srunk down the PC versions to make it fun for console players with great squad work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »