Home

Games you thought were good but really...weren't

This is a discussion on Games you thought were good but really...weren't within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2019, 01:02 AM   #1
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0
Games you thought were good but really...weren't

My friends and I had this discussion and I'm curious to see what you guys thought: what's one game that you thought was really good, but was actually awful when you played it a second time around?

Mine would have to be GTA: Vice City. I remember playing it a few years after San Andreas came out (which is my personal favorite) and thought "Wow, this is so freaking cool!" I bought Vice City on a Steam sale a few months back, booted it up, and was appalled at how poor it was.

I'm not sure if my criticism is just; VC was a milestone for it's time, but it's aged about as well as a dog turd on the lawn. The game play is horrible, IMO, and the controls (even on PC) aren't that great.

But yeah. Tell me some of the games that you thought were great originally, but weren't that great when you revisited them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2019, 03:33 AM   #2
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Games you thought were good but really...weren't

Vice City soundtrack though......

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers
Old 03-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Are we talking more about games that didn't age well or games that really weren't that good, weren't well received and you thought they were good the first time around? Your VC example seems more like the game just didn't age well which I'd agree with, but I still have fun playing the older ones.

For a game that I thought was good at first, but wasn't well received and I started to see what everyone else was complaining about later on would have been Homefront. I loved the game when I got it. The online was cool with the economy inside of each match, the story and gameplay were neat. I didn't get all of the heat it took. Then I beat it, took a break, went back to play it and I was just like, how did I enjoy this to the point where I binged it, loved it, beat it so quick?

― Plato
Old 03-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Strange. While reading the thread title, Vice City was the first thing that came to mind for me as well.

One game I always wanted to play on PS2 (but never did) was Black. How has that held up for what it provided to the FPS experience?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

I'd have to say recently RDR2. My most anticipated game ever and I just honestly didn't have fun. Put about 80 hours into the game because I was determined to finish the campaign and do as much side content as I could. I have 100% respect for what that game is able to achieve but it felt more like a simulator, not a video game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Vice City soundtrack though......
Vice City soundtrack is immaculate, tbh. I think it's a tad better than San Andreas.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Strange. While reading the thread title, Vice City was the first thing that came to mind for me as well.

One game I always wanted to play on PS2 (but never did) was Black. How has that held up for what it provided to the FPS experience?
I actually got Black when I had an Xbox and Origin Access and, yeah, it wsan't that great. The concept was cool, but the execution wasn't.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

The one I am gonna say is probably gonna be unpopular here, but The Last of Us was simply not a good game to me and I had to force myself to beat it. The gameplay was extremely linear, the resources were plentiful even on the hardest difficulty you can run through it on your first playthrough, and the AI was nowhere near as great as it was marketed to be. I had really high expectations going into that game after everyone raved about it for a year or two so when I finally played it I enjoyed it at first. The graphics and polish were great, but by the third time booting it up I just couldn't wait to beat it and be done with it. It really was not a fun game at all for me.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »