Home

Saints Row Reboot

This is a discussion on Saints Row Reboot within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2021, 12:58 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Saints Row Reboot

Count me in the crowd that would prefer to see the game return to a theme that is more like the 1st and 2nd games. 2 was definitely wackier than 1 was, but it was not close to the level 3 and 4 took the series.

I'd be perfectly fine with it being just like 1 where the story is much more grounded and the side activities are where it goes a little over the top, but I know the blend 2 had going for it is very popular and I'd still be excited for that.

I've still never beaten 3 and never played 4 because of that. That will likely change before the reboot releases, but that kind of shows how I definitely prefer the themes of 1 and 2 more as I beat both of those games multiple times over.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 08-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

The graffiti updated again. Points to tomorrow being the official announcement which was what was initially leaked.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 08-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #19
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

They are talking about the details of this now

https://www.twitch.tv/deepsilver
Old 08-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #20
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

SMH Volition not a fan. RIP Saints Row

Last edited by zello144; 08-25-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #21
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Not what I thought, but hey - as long as it's a large and interesting living-breathing city with lots of action and decent driving/damage model - I'll take it. And it's on last gen as well, so that's good.

And hopefully this can be played offline, I'm not into online gaming.

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB

Last edited by youvalss; 08-25-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #22
All Star

OVR: 8

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Seems to take more inspiration from the later games of the series.

I look forward to seeing more, but I'm not as excited for it as I hoped I would be.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Definitely didn't expect to be playing in what looks like Albuquerque. Some gameplay is out there that looks much better than the trailer. The developers also are saying this will feel like a blend of 2 and 3 and things like the Penetrator and Dub Step gun are no more. A blend of 2 and 3 is something I can live with. The trailer had me worried they were building off of the wackiness of 4, but it seems not.

EDIT: It's safe to say that trailer and some of the marketing so far has been terrible, but the actual information coming out sounds much better.

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/...ghtmode%3Dtrue

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 08-25-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #24
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...ts-row-reboot/

Quote:
Saints Row, the funhouse mirror version of Grand Theft Auto, will reboot in 2022

Saints Row, the open-world brand that once competed with the Grand Theft Auto series, is getting a complete reboot scheduled to release Feb. 25, 2022.

This reboot takes the series out of Michigan and into the American Southwest, mimicking states like Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and California. Gone are the superhero hijinks of the fourth game. The new “Saints Row,” announced Tuesday at Gamescom, is once again about upstart gang members looking to build a criminal empire.

“Saints Row” began life in 2006 as a series about a small-time Michigan gang that ends up taking over the fictional city of Stilwater. “Saints Row 2” in 2008 experienced even greater success critically and commercially. The cartoonish absurdity of “Saints Row: The Third” in 2011 was an attempt to distinguish itself from the Grand Theft Auto series, which had become more focused on depicting serious crime drama. In 2013′s “Saints Row IV,” the gang members become superheroes in a virtual alien world. Eventually, players become the galaxy’s rulers, even conquering hell itself.

It’s fair to say that developer Deep Silver Volition had written the series into a corner. “It’s hard not to be a more grounded game than ‘Saints Row IV,’ ” said Jim Boone, chief creative officer at Deep Silver Volition. “There truly isn’t anywhere to go past that. Even though we loved the mechanics with all the superpowers, there isn’t a whole lot of runway to go past that. It’s why it was a pretty easy decision to go back to our roots and do something that was more contemporary.”

In the new “Saints Row,” players will create their gang “boss” character and work alongside three friends: Eli, a Black entrepreneur; Neenah, a Latina car lover and the gang’s driver; and Kevin, an Asian DJ and resident thrill seeker. The new setting of Santo Ileso appears to be a large, open space with distinct cities, not unlike the famously large map of “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.” Fighting for gang territories makes a return, an innovative feature that went missing after series favorite “Saints Row 2.” Santo Ileso will have nine unique districts, each one having its own theme and culture. The El Dorado district appears to mimic Las Vegas, while Monte Visto looks a lot like the gated communities in the Palm Springs area of California.In the new “Saints Row,” players will create their gang “boss” character and work alongside three friends: Eli, a Black entrepreneur; Neenah, a Latina car lover and the gang’s driver; and Kevin, an Asian DJ and resident thrill seeker. The new setting of Santo Ileso appears to be a large, open space with distinct cities, not unlike the famously large map of “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.” Fighting for gang territories makes a return, an innovative feature that went missing after series favorite “Saints Row 2.” Santo Ileso will have nine unique districts, each one having its own theme and culture. The El Dorado district appears to mimic Las Vegas, while Monte Visto looks a lot like the gated communities in the Palm Springs area of California.

Players will be able to buy real estate properties and use them for various criminal enterprises. One such example includes starting a drug-running business using fast-food meat trucks as cover, like Gus Fring’s chicken operation from the TV show “Breaking Bad.” “These buildings come with player choice, where and which structures you opt for will impact the world,” said James Hague, design director. “Will you build your own fast-food drug-running ring? How about a protection racket? Auto theft? Arms dealership?” It sounds like the old characters, including fan favorite Johnny Gat, won’t be returning to the stage. The developers said hidden Easter eggs and references will be strewn about, but were adamant that this is a new story focusing on new relationships and characters. “It’s new characters, new people with new quirks,” said Jeremy Bernstein, lead narrative designer of missions. “They’ll have new idiosyncrasies that you’ll come to love just as much as the old ones.”Players will be able to buy real estate properties and use them for various criminal enterprises. One such example includes starting a drug-running business using fast-food meat trucks as cover, like Gus Fring’s chicken operation from the TV show “Breaking Bad.” “These buildings come with player choice, where and which structures you opt for will impact the world,” said James Hague, design director. “Will you build your own fast-food drug-running ring? How about a protection racket? Auto theft? Arms dealership?” It sounds like the old characters, including fan favorite Johnny Gat, won’t be returning to the stage. The developers said hidden Easter eggs and references will be strewn about, but were adamant that this is a new story focusing on new relationships and characters. “It’s new characters, new people with new quirks,” said Jeremy Bernstein, lead narrative designer of missions. “They’ll have new idiosyncrasies that you’ll come to love just as much as the old ones.”

The gameplay mechanics appear to be an evolution of the third and fourth entries: solid third-person shooting foundations and hand-to-hand action seamlessly mixed in. Some of the later, more outlandish side missions like insurance fraud will also return.

“Saints Row” will be cross generation, meaning it will launch on the new PlayStation and Xbox machines as well as PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It also supports cooperative play, and the developers say the entire storyline will be playable with friends. Bernstein also said that there are no more additional named side characters within the Saints Row gang that factor into the storyline, but you will have gang members to manage and roll with across the map. “For the first time in the ‘Saints Row’ series, players will build their game from scratch and get to witness the birth of the Saints,” Boone said. “The new location is an exciting departure for us. It’s build with exploration in mind and it is the most diverse sandbox we’ve created yet.”

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »