Home

For People with both APF 2k8 and NCAA FB 08

This is a discussion on For People with both APF 2k8 and NCAA FB 08 within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which game is better?
All Pro Football 2K8 (2ksports) 80 47.90%
NCAA Football 08 (EASports) 87 52.10%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #41
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: For People with both APF 2k8 and NCAA FB 08

If VC/TT somehow secured the NFL and NCAA licenses, I strongly doubt EA would sell more than a couple thousand copies of a generic, bare bones game featuring their engine. To me, the fact that APF even has a presence in the market says tons about just how strong their on the field product is.

Anywho, here are my reasons why I voted APF:

-More fluid blocking
-Automatic O-line avoidance animations (meaning zero Mario-running)
-Animations for shifting weight, starting and stopping, and 3 different levels of run animations dependent on how lightly you push the stick.
-VIP recorded tendacies and the ability to play against others profile
-FULL TV-style presentation
-Varied cutscenes and post whistle interactions
-Deep challege system
-Max tackling (big hit vs. wrap & tap, ability to arm tackle in either direction while engaged in a block, or hit low or high..adding depth and strategy to how you attack a specific ballcarrier)
-Infractions that you can see actually see happening. (Hey! that guy dragged my defender down..thats a hold! Whistle blows. )
-D-lineman that can tackle while still in the blocking animation.
-Deeper juke system featuring 6 differnt jukes that can be strung together, and unique signature animations for certain players.
-QB evade
-Referees
-Chain Gang
-Ability to assign a DB to a specific reciever all game no matter which side of the field he lines up on (defensive matchups)
-Route running attribute that matters
-Comprehensive at-the-line audibles, and the ability to disguise fronts and packages.
-A real pocket that actually surrounds the QB, Signature QB stances, and QB's that actually exhibit real footwork and follow thru on throws.
-DB hand-fighting at the LOS, inside/oustide techniques, and comprehensive head-tracking by both receiver and defender.
-dirt/sod that kicks up (zoom in on it...actually has a grass side and a dirt side. Kinda cool.) and rain that you see splash off helmets. Also, you see the water fly after a big hit, ala Fight Nights slobberknockers.
-passing accuracy bonus for throwing on the QB's set-up "bounce"
-team specific offensive formations and defensive plays
-records playcalling tendacies and AI that self adjusts to plays called several times
-Very convincing uniform textures.
-Lively, intergrated sideline that reacts to the game.

APF opportunities:
-needs way more depth and off-the-field modes and features.
-Non-star DB's still make bad swipes occasionally.
-No league license
-Needs more variety in player model types. Alot of players are too skinny.
-Controls are deep and complex. Perrhaps too much for newbs. Tapping, juking, max passing, being forced to stay in the pocket instead of always rolling out to empty space before passing...all take adjustment and may be frustrating for newcomers.
-Lots of the same animations and commentary from 2k5.

Advantages for NCAA:

-NCAA license
-Deeper modes, and lots of extras and features like campus legend.
-Tugboat physics still feel a bit smoother than 2k.
-Player models look really good.

Opportunities for NCAA:
-Too many turnovers on both sides of the ball unless you subject yourself to the speed and AI cheat-packed Heisman level.
-Missing nearly everything on the APF list above.
-Physics-less gang tackling, and inconsistent branching.

NCAA is a great all-around package, and understandably enjoyable for college football fans, but IMO gets smoked badly in a bunch of areas ON the field...

Last edited by HMcCoy; 08-02-2007 at 05:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I want to know if anyone prefers APF over NCAA and DIDN'T love 2K5. It seems that most people that prefer APF loved 2K5 and I found that game too flawed in many ways (especially after loving 2K4). In fact, my disappointment with both 2K5 and Madden '05 pushed me to trying NCAA '06 when I wasn't a college football fan. I've loved the game since and really enjoy NCAA on the PS3. I just got a $50 gift card for Best Buy and was debating as to whether I should use it towards a wireless router or to buy APF. I wish they would release a PS3 demo so I could get a taste of the game already. I could rent it but I'm going to be cheap right now and wait for the demo.
NCAA used to be the only game I really ever bought. When 2k5 came out I gave it a chance because it was only $20. I liked it but didn't love it. It was fun with a friend, but we liked NCAA better.

2k8 kills NCAA this year IMO. In 2k8 you actually feel like you are running, makes NCAA feel like skating.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #43
Collab: xcellnoah@gmail

X*Cell's Arena

OVR: 28

Well, a lot of time has passed since my first post and this is what I decided to do with my football game situation.

First I would like to thank all of you who responded because it was really really helpful.

My first observation leaves me puzzled though. NCAA received 8 more votes at this point than APF, yet APF seemed to get most of the praise in the posts. Sounds like thinkers like APF.

I ended up selling NCAA on ebay for $45, BUT I didn't buy APF 2k8.

HMcCoy, it's funny that you say NCAA's strong points are off-the-field modes like deep dynasty and campus legend. They both suck horribly IMO. The dynasty recruit calling is the most boring thing on the face of the earth and the campus legend mode is wayyyy too easy.

Still though, APF 2k8 did horribly in that department as well because they didn't really include anything.

As much as I like playing online and USER vs. USER games, there has to be some mode that can hold me over for long periods of time. Yes, I'm a franchise mode guy for sure and nothing made me more sad than NBA 2k7's franchise mode being pretty broken because it was such a great game.

I have a hard time justifying a $60 price tag for a game that is stripped of it's off-the-field features. The gameplay might be amazing... and yes it is, I've played it many times with friends, but I can't buy great on the field gameplay and nothing else for 60... If it was $40 or less I would def buy.

When the 2k9/2009 batch of football games comes out though, there is no doubt that 2k will be the game I'm looking for. Forget EA. Never ever again.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #44
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

XCell, that's admirable trying to go through a year without a football game. I love APF but yeah with no franchise mode (I still say there's no way it could done with legends, they need to make it entirely generic to happen) I couldn't give the game any higher than an 8.5.

I'm done with EA until they prove otherwise. They continue to move closer towards the casual gamer which means there's no way they're going to address the poor physics engine, the block suction, the no QB pocket, O/D line interaction, DBs sixth sense, etc. It's funny, my brother used to be the hugest NCAA fanboy and when he played the demo on my 360, he was laughing at how bad it was.

Since I'm skipping on NCAA and Madden this year, I'm anxiously awaiting FIFA 08, Halo 3 and NBA 2K7.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #45
Rookie

DagsJT's Arena

OVR: 2

APF all the way for me. Having played and loved NFL 2k5 and AFL 2k8 being an amazing game on the field, playing NCAA 08 felt TERRIBLE on the gameplay! Picks all over the place (including by the CPU), complete lack of atmosphere, gameplay seems like it's being fast-forwarded and is one of the reasons I've preferred 2k5 over any EA games.

Anyway, only had it for a few days and it's on eBay now, just hope I get near to what I paid to have it delivered from Canada

And reading a preview of Madden 08, the interception problem is in there too, so I certainly wont be buying Madden 08 before trying a demo or something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #46
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by X*Cell
Well, a lot of time has passed since my first post and this is what I decided to do with my football game situation.

First I would like to thank all of you who responded because it was really really helpful.

My first observation leaves me puzzled though. NCAA received 8 more votes at this point than APF, yet APF seemed to get most of the praise in the posts. Sounds like thinkers like APF.

I ended up selling NCAA on ebay for $45, BUT I didn't buy APF 2k8.

HMcCoy, it's funny that you say NCAA's strong points are off-the-field modes like deep dynasty and campus legend. They both suck horribly IMO. The dynasty recruit calling is the most boring thing on the face of the earth and the campus legend mode is wayyyy too easy.

Still though, APF 2k8 did horribly in that department as well because they didn't really include anything.

As much as I like playing online and USER vs. USER games, there has to be some mode that can hold me over for long periods of time. Yes, I'm a franchise mode guy for sure and nothing made me more sad than NBA 2k7's franchise mode being pretty broken because it was such a great game.

I have a hard time justifying a $60 price tag for a game that is stripped of it's off-the-field features. The gameplay might be amazing... and yes it is, I've played it many times with friends, but I can't buy great on the field gameplay and nothing else for 60... If it was $40 or less I would def buy.

When the 2k9/2009 batch of football games comes out though, there is no doubt that 2k will be the game I'm looking for. Forget EA. Never ever again.
Bro let me say this to you. I have not played one game of APF online yet, and I am totally emersed in this game. From uni design, to setting my team up, it's just an most joyable experience for me. Then to get on the field and play a serious game of football against the cpu, which is in no way a punk? To me, this game is well worth it's weight in gold. Maybe you don't want to pay full price for it, but I'll telling you bro, when either the price drops, or if you can get one used, get this game.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #47
Collab: xcellnoah@gmail

X*Cell's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drae2
Bro let me say this to you. I have not played one game of APF online yet, and I am totally emersed in this game. From uni design, to setting my team up, it's just an most joyable experience for me. Then to get on the field and play a serious game of football against the cpu, which is in no way a punk? To me, this game is well worth it's weight in gold. Maybe you don't want to pay full price for it, but I'll telling you bro, when either the price drops, or if you can get one used, get this game.
Yeah I would def consider it at a price drop or Used copy, or both
Old 08-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 5

I am a NCAA guy all the way. I do like what 2K is trying to do with APF. I just like the college style ,atmosphere and game a lot better than playing with the legends.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »