Home

It's 2013...will this be the year that we see NFL 2k14?

This is a discussion on It's 2013...will this be the year that we see NFL 2k14? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: It's 2013...will this be the year that we see NFL 2k14?

no NCAA exclusivity license = More money EA have to pay the NFL a big check to guarantee the exclusivity license for another heck, 5 or more years...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by damedash
With all of the messageboards on gaming websites speculating when we might see another NFL 2k video game return to its proper place. I wanted to poll a question to you all...when do you think we will see 2k return to football video game genre? The current gen systems? Or possibly the next gen systems (Xbox 720). Honestly, I stopped looking and researching this topic until I saw the last video from hiphopgamer regarding nfl 2k return being more possible. Here is the link for those who haven't seen the video yet.

http://www.egmnow.com/hiphopgamer/nf...-check-it-out/
Good thread OP and I have also done a lot of speculating about the NFL exclusive expiring. I think Hip hop gamer is referring to a potential loophole in spite of the current NFL exclusive license but I am just referring to where it stands right now for it to expire. I started an entire thread about it in the Madden forum in hopes to have "I told you so" rights if the exclusive NFL license ends.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-license.html

In a nutshell, the exclusive is slated to end after the Super Bowl this NFL season, meaning M14 is currently slated to be the last one under an exclusive license. If that holds true, which I think it will, it seems reasonable to me that other companies would be willing to put out a licensed NFL game as early as 2014. Reason being, companies were willing to test the football gaming market with non-licensed football games, Back Breaker and APF2k8, so I would expect some companies to be even more willing to test the market again if there was an open NFL license.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #27
Pro

BraveHeart's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Good thread OP and I have also done a lot of speculating about the NFL exclusive expiring. I think Hip hop gamer is referring to a potential loophole in spite of the current NFL exclusive license but I am just referring to where it stands right now for it to expire. I started an entire thread about it in the Madden forum in hopes to have "I told you so" rights if the exclusive NFL license ends.

In a nutshell, the exclusive is slated to end after the Super Bowl this NFL season, meaning M14 is currently slated to be the last one under an exclusive license. If that holds true, which I think it will, it seems reasonable to me that other companies would be willing to put out a licensed NFL game as early as 2014. Reason being, companies were willing to test the football gaming market with non-licensed football games, Back Breaker and APF2k8, so I would expect some companies to be even more willing to test the market again if there was an open NFL license.

We can only hope. We can only hope.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal

I wish this were true. The only thing happening right now is that EA is most likely negotiating for a smaller price tag, since there is no other competition now, they are in the driver's seat. It's not whether or not another company WANTS to enter the ring, it's the fact that the NFL DOESN'T want another company. There is no reason for the NFL to change anything. The Madden brand gets the NFL shield into millions of homes every year. The only thing that would make any sense from a business point of view would be to allow multiple games. However, the NFL has made it very clear they do not wish to do this. We all see the colossal crapfest, but the NFL sees $$$ signs and free marketing to the masses of kids who don't know any better. There is an entire generation of game players who never even played any other NFL game. Those are the ones that EA knows they can target and they will think their game is actually good.

You have to face it Big, there is never going to be another NFL game other than Madden. Ever. It's over
Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
There is an entire generation of game players who never even played any other NFL game. Those are the ones that EA knows they can target and they will think their game is actually good.
Specifically at this, is there something you feel is fundamentally wrong with a person enjoying Madden?

---

To the topic, let's suppose for a minute that through some freak occurrence EA continues making NFL football games, but with a non-exclusive license (I don't see a scenario where EA isn't making an NFL game, they are going to do whatever it takes to protect Madden, which is why the exclusivity license exists to begin with). What other company would honestly take the risk of entry into the simulation football video game market?

I think some here assume NFL 2K would simply return from the ashes to its former glory, but I don't think that's so clear cut; the last time Visual Concepts were known to have done any programming work related to football was in 2007 with All Pro Football 2K8. It is believed that many from the football team have since moved on to NBA 2K. Regardless whether that is true - for starters, 2K would need to do significant work to at-minimum bring their rendering engine up to today's standards, as graphics are what catches the eye of casual gamers (they aren't representative of quality of a game, but great graphics gets a person's attention). Not to mention that 2K hasn't attempted to implement a football career mode in nearly a decade, and their last attempt was particularly bug-ridden. It's also clear that 2K Games has been moving to cut non-profitable games from their sports division; NHL 2K was the most recent to officially cease production, and MLB 2K by all appearances is soon to follow after this year's apparent phone-in series entry that will be MLB 2K13. Yes, they recently purchased the WWE license, but the development for the WWE games appears to remain in the hands of Yuke's, so the cost for 2K here would appear to be minimal.

With the up-front licensing costs for the NFL surely the highest of any league, not-insignificant investment required to bring whatever the company may have archived up-to-date, a general lack of brand awareness due to not having published an NFL 2K game since 2004, and that the primary competitor Madden is not only a video game but a staple piece of popular culture at this point, I think it's a stretch to assume that a new NFL 2K game would automatically succeed commercially regardless of game quality. There's risk on the part of 2K for restarting that series, risk they may not be willing to take.

As to a new non-2K company, let's assume it takes them two years to build a set of new engines with which to run a football game from the ground up. What if EA gets wind of the new game and re-does their deal for exclusivity one year into this new game's development, effectively killing it right then and there? With that risk present, why would any new company take that plunge?

IMO it's just not worth the risk for any company to even try an NFL football video game right now in the event that the license were to open up. I hope I am wrong, I think competition is good for sports video games, and I previously enjoyed both Madden and NFL 2K. However, I also see the reality of the situation.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Specifically at this, is there something you feel is fundamentally wrong with a person enjoying Madden?

---

To the topic, let's suppose for a minute that through some freak occurrence EA continues making NFL football games, but with a non-exclusive license (I don't see a scenario where EA isn't making an NFL game, they are going to do whatever it takes to protect Madden, which is why the exclusivity license exists to begin with). What other company would honestly take the risk of entry into the simulation football video game market?

I think some here assume NFL 2K would simply return from the ashes to its former glory, but I don't think that's so clear cut; the last time Visual Concepts were known to have done any programming work related to football was in 2007 with All Pro Football 2K8. It is believed that many from the football team have since moved on to NBA 2K. Regardless whether that is true - for starters, 2K would need to do significant work to at-minimum bring their rendering engine up to today's standards, as graphics are what catches the eye of casual gamers (they aren't representative of quality of a game, but great graphics gets a person's attention). Not to mention that 2K hasn't attempted to implement a football career mode in nearly a decade, and their last attempt was particularly bug-ridden. It's also clear that 2K Games has been moving to cut non-profitable games from their sports division; NHL 2K was the most recent to officially cease production, and MLB 2K by all appearances is soon to follow after this year's apparent phone-in series entry that will be MLB 2K13. Yes, they recently purchased the WWE license, but the development for the WWE games appears to remain in the hands of Yuke's, so the cost for 2K here would appear to be minimal.

With the up-front licensing costs for the NFL surely the highest of any league, not-insignificant investment required to bring whatever the company may have archived up-to-date, a general lack of brand awareness due to not having published an NFL 2K game since 2004, and that the primary competitor Madden is not only a video game but a staple piece of popular culture at this point, I think it's a stretch to assume that a new NFL 2K game would automatically succeed commercially regardless of game quality. There's risk on the part of 2K for restarting that series, risk they may not be willing to take.

As to a new non-2K company, let's assume it takes them two years to build a set of new engines with which to run a football game from the ground up. What if EA gets wind of the new game and re-does their deal for exclusivity one year into this new game's development, effectively killing it right then and there? With that risk present, why would any new company take that plunge?

IMO it's just not worth the risk for any company to even try an NFL football video game right now in the event that the license were to open up. I hope I am wrong, I think competition is good for sports video games, and I previously enjoyed both Madden and NFL 2K. However, I also see the reality of the situation.
Please put me on your ignore list. I've resisted the urge to respond to you in a manner that I see fit due to my respect for the rules of this site. I can assure you, I'm not the only one who feels this way. You are constantly trolling. We don't like each other, there is no reason for you to constantly troll me and you are doing it. I don't agree with much of anything you write, but I don't feel the need to respond to your posts. You did it last week, you did it again here. No where did I say I have a "problem" with someone enjoying madden. However, being the massive hypocrite that you are, you have a problem with others who do not share your attitude. We get it, you have personal relationships with Madden developers and you feel that you can accept the product as it is and people like me are just complainers. You will be on my ignore list and I hope I am on yours. Please stop responding to anything I start, write or author on this site. I don't like you, I want nothing to do with you and I don't want to read anything else you put on this site. So in order to comply with the terms of service, I am asking that you please do the same.

Good day.

Last edited by GiantBlue76; 02-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #31
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I'm responding to only this:

Quote:
No where did I say I have a "problem" with someone enjoying madden.
Likewise, nowhere did I assert that you "have a problem" with those who have a different opinion from you, you are putting words in my mouth. Re-reading what you originally wrote which I asked about (and my unaltered quoted response follows):

Quote:
There is an entire generation of game players who never even played any other NFL game. Those are the ones that EA knows they can target and they will think their game is actually good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
There are two implications I saw in your statement, one of which I asked for clarification on. Nothing more. The two I saw were that: one, you don't feel Madden is a good game; two, that those who have only played Madden such as those who were introduced to sports video games during this console cycle have an impression that it is appropriate that they enjoy Madden, an impression you feel is incorrect.

The second implication is what I was asking for clarification on to ask if that is what you actually meant; it's apparent in your words as I read them that you don't believe that one can enjoy Madden and have a correct view of its subjective quality (whatever "correct view of subjective quality" means). That's an audaciously strong position to take, and I wanted to make sure I was reading your words correctly before I went any further.

At no point in that question did I personally attack you or "troll" you and I'm unsure how you took it as such. If I was out of line here or any other point in time, however, I trust that the moderation staff of this forum will let me know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 14

If APF2k8 put out the exact same game , just updated the rosters with current NFL rosters and team logos , I would have no problem paying 60$ for it. Seems like that is essentially what they did with MLB 2k13. I doubt it will happen but I am still hoping that they do. Wish they wouldnt have shut down the servers in the first place for leagues etc.

twitter.com/tyfromphilly
Xbox One GT - TyFromPhilly

TCSG NBA 2k15 League - http://tyfromphilly.wix.com/tcsgleague

That Connection Sim Gaming Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8g...1ggCIaZkeOUxNA

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »