Home

NFL STREET

This is a discussion on NFL STREET within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2004, 10:27 AM   #41
MVP

toychri's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NFL STREET

I picked this game up yesterday and had a chance to play about 2 hours last night. I am a single player and will most likely NEVER play this game with friends.(I'm 28, married, and have two kids). I was growing tired of ESPN and NCAA football. I wanted something fun, where I could pop it in for a half hour and accomplish something, then save my game and move on to something else. This fits the bill perfectly.

Some people claim that the 'Street' attitude does not carry over as well as the NBA games. Some people may find this to be true but I did not get that feeling. I felt the 'Street' style fit pretty good with this game. The graphical style and music compares to NBA Street V.2, sort of 'urban artsy' if you ask me. I like it.

The first thing you need to do is change the options. At default, it's set on 'Easy' mode, and 'CPU Assist'(catch up) is turned on. Set the game to 'Normal' difficulty and turn 'CPU assist' off.

I played a few pick up games to get used to the controls, it will take a few games to get used to, especially if you played a lot of Madden or NCAA. I am still fumbling around with some of the special moves but that is to be expected at this point. I got my *** handed to me in the first two pick up games, then I switched to Easy mode to see if I could win my third game, and I did. SO then I switched it back to Normal mode and started the NFL Challenge mode.

There are two different sets of challenges you need to complete for each of the 8 different fields. There is the typical 'Ladder' challenge, much like NBA Street. You need to beat all the teams in a division to pass this challenge. The thing is, you have to do it all at once. There is no saving after you beat two or three teams. You have to sweep the division or start over. Correct me if I'm wrong cause I did not ever complete the ladder since my team sucked so bad. Then there is the regular challenges. From what I can tell there might be about 20 challenges plus the ladder tournement for each field. The regular challenges are fun. They start out really easy with things like, score on your first drive vs. the Cardinals. Then they get hard like score two diving TD's within 7 minutes and things like that. I could see the single player mode taking about 15 hours to complete - not bad.

You start with a no name team of scrubs. And you can edit everything on every player. So I made myself the WR, I and pluged in my friends names for the other guys. You can change the height, weight, race, attributes, clothing, etc. It will cost you tokens to improve stats and things. For instance, I'm 6'4 and it cost me tokens to raise the height of the WR that I made as myself to the proper height. So you can't create a team of 6'4 speedy WR's right off the bat. When you complete the different challenges you unlock more tokens and additional clothing to add to your players.

So far I like this game, if you are looking for fun game like NBA Street this will tide you over for a few months.

And there is SOME stretegy involved, like when to use your gamebreakers or when it would be best to cancel the other teams gamebreakers. Or should you go for 1 or 2 points after the TD. All these little things add up to a nice little game. Oh, and the filds make a big difference as to what type of gameplan you need to execute. For instance, the EA field is like a regular footbal field. You can run wide sweeps and gun it down field on slant routes. But the second field is the beach. It's much narrower and guys move a little slower. So a power run game works better.
I would give this game a 8.6/10. Good job by EA for a first generation title. If anyone has any questions I'll check back here in a little bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2004, 10:59 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 3

Well I think if you are going to compare this game to anything you have to compare it to NFL Blitz. I had a soft addiction to Blitz (the first N64 version) so the comparison comes natrually to me- as opposed to comparisons to NBA Street or Madden.

I think the game stacks up well to Blitz:

- The gameplay is fast fun stuff. Tight controls and a good sense of speed. It is not groundbreaking or anything- if you have played Blitz you know what to expect- but it is fun without being too frustrating.

-Visually I am impressed by the game. I agree the "Street Football" thing feels a little forced but the overall look/style of the game is appealing. The players faces or great, as are the slightly exaggerated player models. I like the fact that if you want you can have a 5'8" 165 pound guy out there making plays. Also the wealth of gear and created player options allow you to change up your teams look which will go a long way towards extending the games visual appeal.

-More graphics stuff- the various fields look great as well. Nice lighting, shadows. For example the beach field with tide rolling in and the little campfires scattered around. Lots of details that add to the life of the game.

-there is a certain amount of strategy involved- but most of it takes place before the game starts when you choose you lineup. I was struggling in my first games in Challenge mode until I moved some players around on D.

-The player ratings seem to actually matter. I was doubtful of this until I called a RB Pass play and watched my poor passing RB underthrow a wide open reciever by 20 yards or so (the passed was picked, challange failed). So spend your Dev Points wisely.

The only question for me is replay value. Each of the dozen or so games I played had a slightly different feel which is promising. That might change once I find the money plays (there have to be some, right?) and max out my teams stats. But for now I am psyched. For now I would say if you liked Blitz you should give NFL Street a shot. It is like Blitz with more depth. And it is 100% better than NFL Xtreme & NFL Xtreme 2 combined.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:53 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 12

Do people have more online impressions?

Are most people playing with GameBreakers off?

If you play with GameBreakers off, is there any point in showboating? Or do people still do fancy moves in online games even though GameBreakers are off?

Is it smooth online?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #44
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:

Holic said:
Quote:

7Words said:
you actually create an entire team so yes you can make more than one player. as for the game, the only complaint i have is that Juke and Spin are the same button, there are situations when it's good to juke and you spin, and vice versa

Have you created your entire team? I created 3 guys, and had to call it quits due to my son. Now that he is asleep I want to try and finish up the other 4. But I tried the NFL Challenge, and the challenge against the Seahawks, where you have to score your first drive. I score the first drive everytime almost, but yet I fail.

Anyone else have this happen yet? Fixing to try again..

are you sure it's just score on the first drive, or score on a dive? I remember an easy one at the start required you to dive, I didn't notice that at first myself. Check on the exact requirement first, otherwise I dunno
Old 01-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #45
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:

are you sure it's just score on the first drive, or score on a dive? I remember an easy one at the start required you to dive, I didn't notice that at first myself. Check on the exact requirement first, otherwise I dunno

I read it wrong last night. No glitch, once I read it correctly I went back and beat it with ease. Error on my part, not the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #46
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:

toychri said:
I picked this game up yesterday and had a chance to play about 2 hours last night. I am a single player and will most likely NEVER play this game with friends.(I'm 28, married, and have two kids). I was growing tired of ESPN and NCAA football. I wanted something fun, where I could pop it in for a half hour and accomplish something, then save my game and move on to something else. This fits the bill perfectly.

Some people claim that the 'Street' attitude does not carry over as well as the NBA games. Some people may find this to be true but I did not get that feeling. I felt the 'Street' style fit pretty good with this game. The graphical style and music compares to NBA Street V.2, sort of 'urban artsy' if you ask me. I like it.

The first thing you need to do is change the options. At default, it's set on 'Easy' mode, and 'CPU Assist'(catch up) is turned on. Set the game to 'Normal' difficulty and turn 'CPU assist' off.

I played a few pick up games to get used to the controls, it will take a few games to get used to, especially if you played a lot of Madden or NCAA. I am still fumbling around with some of the special moves but that is to be expected at this point. I got my *** handed to me in the first two pick up games, then I switched to Easy mode to see if I could win my third game, and I did. SO then I switched it back to Normal mode and started the NFL Challenge mode.

There are two different sets of challenges you need to complete for each of the 8 different fields. There is the typical 'Ladder' challenge, much like NBA Street. You need to beat all the teams in a division to pass this challenge. The thing is, you have to do it all at once. There is no saving after you beat two or three teams. You have to sweep the division or start over. Correct me if I'm wrong cause I did not ever complete the ladder since my team sucked so bad. Then there is the regular challenges. From what I can tell there might be about 20 challenges plus the ladder tournement for each field. The regular challenges are fun. They start out really easy with things like, score on your first drive vs. the Cardinals. Then they get hard like score two diving TD's within 7 minutes and things like that. I could see the single player mode taking about 15 hours to complete - not bad.

You start with a no name team of scrubs. And you can edit everything on every player. So I made myself the WR, I and pluged in my friends names for the other guys. You can change the height, weight, race, attributes, clothing, etc. It will cost you tokens to improve stats and things. For instance, I'm 6'4 and it cost me tokens to raise the height of the WR that I made as myself to the proper height. So you can't create a team of 6'4 speedy WR's right off the bat. When you complete the different challenges you unlock more tokens and additional clothing to add to your players.

So far I like this game, if you are looking for fun game like NBA Street this will tide you over for a few months.

And there is SOME stretegy involved, like when to use your gamebreakers or when it would be best to cancel the other teams gamebreakers. Or should you go for 1 or 2 points after the TD. All these little things add up to a nice little game. Oh, and the filds make a big difference as to what type of gameplan you need to execute. For instance, the EA field is like a regular footbal field. You can run wide sweeps and gun it down field on slant routes. But the second field is the beach. It's much narrower and guys move a little slower. So a power run game works better.
I would give this game a 8.6/10. Good job by EA for a first generation title. If anyone has any questions I'll check back here in a little bit.

I'm just like you man, married with kids. And pretty much will always play single player. I think this game will appeal to some, or alot. And others won't find it as good as I think it is.

The gameplay is really smooth, players move without hesitation, and all the moves are easily pulled off for the most part. I can see the single player mode taking awhile to complete. There is a pretty good bit to complete to unlock the different fields. But first and foremost you have to get enough Dev. Points to build up your team so you'll be able to succeed as some of the challenges, and whatnot.

And like you said, there is some strategy. I think the most strategic part of the game is the different fields. Not only does it matter how you run the ball, or what pass play to call. But you can also use the obsticles, and walls, etc. to your advantage. Trying to tackle a guy into a trashcan, or wall will greatly increase your chances at a fumble.

Overall, I feel the game is about an 8/10 maybe a little higher. Only got in a little over an hour and a half last night. It's something fun to play, and will hold me over til ESPN football comes out next year.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Im really on the fence and im starting to lean towards purchsing the game. Last video game I bought was NBA Live 2004 and I have not played that in almost 3 months. So I would trade that in and probably pay about 25 bucks for Street. Im sure its worth that, or I would hope so.

What type of trick plays are in the game?

Do most of you all have ps2 or x-box verson? I would get x-box verson if I get the game.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have the PS2 version and it is Fun... I would say get it if u can trade something in and get it for cheaper... I am finding myself here at work wanting to get home to play it.. that is a sign i like it.. and the controls on XBOX arent bad i heard the lack and white buttons arent even used...

and u have custom soundtracks... I chose ps2 for online

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »