Home

Rescuing Portsmouth: The Richie Barker Regime

This is a discussion on Rescuing Portsmouth: The Richie Barker Regime within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #41
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Rescuing Portsmouth: The Richie Barker Regime

Why Should Connolly Retire?

David Connolly rolled back the clock with a vintage performance for Portsmouth. After picking up the Man of the Match award against Wycombe, the 36 year old striker said, "I'm very pleased with my game at the moment. I know there are rumors that this might be my last season in professional football, to be honest I've not made my mind up yet, but performances like that make me think I might still have something to offer the club." Connolly's thunderous 30-yard strike was the lone goal in the 1-0 victory over Wycombe. The goal was Connolly's 6th league goal and 8th overall in 11 total appearances. Earlier in the season there was an almost platoon approach for manager Richie Barker with Connolly and Patrick Agyemang, however Connolly's recent form has forced Agyemang to more of a reserve role. Fans wish this form would never end, but for a 36 year old it can go at any time, so fans are surely cherishing the Irishman's form.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #42
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

5. November 2013
Plymouth Argyle vs. Portsmouth
Home Park

Plymouth Argyle 2-3 Portsmouth

3' Caolan Lavery (Durrell Berry) - PLY
30' Shaun Cooper - POR
60' David Connolly - POR
76' Patrick Agyemang (Yassin Moutaouakil) - POR
90' Dominic Blizzard - PLY

Twenty eight total shots, twenty one of which were on target. That is what this encounter included. It started immediately with what seemed to be an innocent cross from Durrell Berry that would be dealt with by the Portsmouth defense, only to be headed home by Caolan Lavery in the 3rd minute of play. The answer came in the 30th minute from Portsmouth with Shaun Cooper's incredible one-timed shot from outside the box after a save made by the Plymouth Argyle keeper. The blast was never more than 6 inches off the ground and nestled into the side panel, exciting the traveling fans. After the half it would be none other than David Connolly who would capitalize on a goalkeeping blunder. Just as the clock struck the hour mark, an ill-fated back pass to the keeper sent him scurrying to the endline before it could go for a corner, however the off-balance clearance would only go as far as the penalty spot and Connolly. He would calmly collect the ball and send it into the empty net and the 2-1 lead. In the 76th minute, Patrick Agyemang came alive as he would play the entire 90 minutes for the first time all season. His header from the Yassin Moutaouakil cross gave Portsmouth the insurance they would eventually need. Too little, too late would be the call after Dominic Blizzard collected the rebound and sent the ball through the legs of a defender and into the side panel for a 90th minute goal that cut the deficit for Plymouth Argyle to 3-2. The game would end that way, and Manager Richie Barker was more than happy with the performance his team put on in a difficult venue. "We decided to start both David and Patrick for a change and I believe it sparked our attack. For David to drop into that more attacking role, I couldn't be more proud of him. A man who, at 36 years old, can run in the midfield with teens and twenty-somethings is impressive and he was certainly up for the challange" stated Barker.

Up Next: F.A. Cup Round 1 vs. Northampton (10-3-3 33pts, 2nd Sky Bet League 2)

AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Burton Albion
Bristol Rovers 3-0 York City
Bury 1-2 S****horpe United
Fleetwood Town 1-3 Wycombe
Hartlepool 0-1 Exeter City
Mansfield Town 1-1 Dagenham
Newport County 0-0 Morecambe
Oxford United 1-2 Cheltenham Town
Plymouth Argyle 2-3 Portsmouth
Rochdale 0-1 Chesterfield
Southend United 2-3 Northampton
Torquay United 1-1 Accrington

Old 02-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #43
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

9. November 2013
Portsmouth vs. Northampton
Fratton Park

Portsmouth 0-1 Northampton

76' Alex Nicholls (Darren Carter) - NHT

Having a successful season is measured in two main ways. How well you do in the league and how well do you do in cups. Teams of the lower divisions in England dream of advancing deep into the F.A. Cup, however this will not be the year for Portsmouth to do so. Northampton came into Fratton Park this afternoon and frustrated Pompey, who outshot Northampton 14-1 and 12-1 on goal. All it took was one chance in the 76th minute for Alex Nicholls off a brilliantly lobbed pass from Darren Carter from midfield that led Nicholls into the box, clear behind Pompey defenders. Nicholls settled the ball, picked up his head to see the on-rushing Trevor Carson, and slotted the ball passed the outstretched arms of Carson and into the back of the net. This was all Northampton would need with Matt Duke in goal who finished with 12 huge saves, most of which were highlight reel caliber. Crashing out of the F.A. Cup and an early exit of the Capital One Cup leaves Portsmouth left holding onto promotion hopes and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy title aspirations.

Up Next: Johnstone's Paint Trophy vs. Wycombe (4-4-8 16pts, 18th in Sky Bet League 2)

ROUND 1
Chesterfield 2-1 Mansfield
Exeter City 0-2 Cheltenham Town
Fleetwood Town 2-3 Rochdale
Hartlepool 3-2 York City
Morecambe 2-1 Newport County
Portsmouth 0-1 Northampton
S****horpe United 2-0 Accrington
Bury 1-1 Southend United

Last edited by pfeifere1; 02-16-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #44
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

12. November 2013
Portsmouth vs. Wycombe
Fratton Park
Portsmouth 2-0 Wycombe

2' George Branford (Tom Craddock) - POR
12' Nick Awford

The youngsters come through for a very tired Portsmouth squad this evening in their Johnstone's Paint Trophy Area Quarterfinal match against Wycombe. The damage was done early with goals in the 2nd and 12th minutes. First was George Branford's headed goal from Tom Craddock's cross. Then came a Pompey goal of the year nominee from Nick Awford's first touch with the first squad. The ball had been cleared out of the penalty area only to find Awford running onto it. The perfectly timed half-volley found the far top corner and lit already raucous crowd on fire. Then came the injuries. All three substitutes from Richie Barker were used to replace injured players. In the 65th minute Yassin Moutaouakil, the stud right back injured his knee. The 89th minute found Sonny Bradley grabbing his leg with a muscle injury. Finally, unsung hero of the vaunted Pompey defense, Bondz N'Gala injured his ankle in the 92nd minute. Fortunately Portsmouth were able to advance, but unfortunately the injury woes continue to mount.

Up Next: League Match @ Chesterfield (9-3-4 30pts, 6th)

AREA QUARTER FINAL
Brentford 1-1 Wolverhampton (5-4 pen)
Cheltenham Town 1-1 Southend United (5-4 pen)
Gillingham 2-0 S****horpe United
Leyton Orient 3-1 Stevenage
Peterborough 2-1 Crawley Town
Portsmouth 2-0 Wycombe
Sheffield United 1-0 Bristol City
Shrewsbury 0-1 Colchester
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #45
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

Senior Physiotherapist Report

Bondz N'Gala

"Bondz N'Gala has suffered a Sprained Ankle and will be out for about 3 weeks."
Replacement: Joe Devara to RCB

Yassin Moutaouakil

"Yassin Moutaouakil has suffered a Sprained Knee and will be out for about 4 weeks."
Replacement: Danny East to RB

With both N'Gala and Moutaouakil out, that will be two of the four defenders on Richie Barker's team that will be out for about a month. Luckily, Sonny Bradley's muscle pull was nothing more than a strain and he is listed as cleared to play. Look for some of Barker's bright young talent to make its way into the squad in the coming weeks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #46
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

23. November 2013
Chesterfield vs. Portsmouth
The Proact Stadium

Chesterfield 1-0 Portsmouth

29' Tendayi Darikwa - CHE

Chesterfield were finally able to do what no other team in the league have yet to do; win against Portsmouth. In a game that showed the glaring injuries all over the field, Chesterfield were able to come away victorious. All it took was a moment of brilliance in the 29th minute as a shot was parried to the side by Trevor Carson, only to be put in by a terrific diving header by Tendayi Darikwa. The 1-0 lead would hold throughout with very few chances created by Pompey.

Up Next: League Match @ Burton Albion (7-4-6 25pts, 10th)

AFC Wimbledon 1-1 Dagenham
Bristol Rovers 1-1 Wycombe
Bury 2-1 Cheltenham Town
Chesterfield 1-0 Portsmouth
Hartlepool 3-0 Northampton
Mansfield Town 1-2 Morecambe
Newport County 2-0 Exeter City
Oxford United 1-1 Accrington
Plymouth Argyle 3-0 Burton Albion
Rochdale 1-1 S****horpe United
Southend United 2-0 Fleetwood Town
Torquay United 1-1 York City
Old 03-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #47
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

Just picked up an Elgato Game Capture HD this afternoon...I'm looking to spice this thread up a bit.

Let me know what you think.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeifere1

Just picked up an Elgato Game Capture HD this afternoon...I'm looking to spice this thread up a bit.

Let me know what you think.
I'm such a ho for presentation - so yeah, I'm following now. Great job - sick goal that was conceded.

Now you are going to have high expectations, so keep the updates coming!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »