Home

2013-14 Hot Stove League Thread

This is a discussion on 2013-14 Hot Stove League Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #57
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: 2013-14 Hot Stove League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis40
I'd do Holland/Kinsler for Bautista in a heartbeat.
I think a lot of Rangers fans are undervaluing Holland and overvaluing Bautista. Bautista is still a great player but he's no longer that monster that he used to be, and injuries are starting to catch up to him. You're probably looking at 4 wins from him and about 30-40 missed games. I would do Holland and Kinsler for Bautista as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
See, that would be my original offer. The thing is with the exception of Game Four of the 2011 World Series, Holland hasn't been anything amazing. If we were to post for Tanaka (which I think we will contrary to the team trying to deny it) and get him, we would have Darvish, Harrison, Tanaka, and Lewis and could re-sign Garza or bring back Ogando or Feliz to the starting rotation.
Pretty sure some of those guys are injury risks. And I doubt you beat out the Cubs/Yankees/Dodgers/Mariners/Jays if you try and post for Tanaka.

Holland is a young #2 on a ridiculous contract and provides a ton of surplus value. Kinsler is a well above average 2B. Bautista is getting old and in the midst of a decline. I would take that.

Last edited by AC; 11-03-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #58
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

The Blue Jays have announced that they will not make a qualifying offer to SP Josh Johnson or other Free Agents OF Rajai Davis, P Ramon Ortiz, and RP Darren Oliver.

I'm not sure how the rules work but can the Jays still sign Davis even if they didn't make a qualifying offer? If so I hope they can get him back as he brings an element that I think this team needs.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #59
Pro

legacyme3's Arena

OVR: 5

Red Sox offered QO's to Ellsbury, Drew, and Napoli. Not to Salty though.

Ellsbury and Drew seem pretty likely to leave (unfortunately), but at least the picks we get back would make it easier... that and they will be replaced by Jackie Bradley Jr and Xander Bogaerts <3

Napoli... I can't see him leaving, both parties seem to want to continue the relationship.

Surprised we didn't extend a QO to Salty... worried he'll leave, and even more worried we'll replace him with Brian McCann (no thank you.)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #60
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyme3

Surprised we didn't extend a QO to Salty... worried he'll leave, and even more worried we'll replace him with Brian McCann (no thank you.)
I think with the way Farrell benched Salty and had Ross play the remainder of the WS that the writing was on the wall for his departure. He's a pretty good catcher but he makes some really bewildering mistakes/bad plays.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #61
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

I think the Cubs will go hard after Salty. There's been alot of Rumors about wanting a C who can hit LH as well. probably wanting a compliment to Wellington.

I dunno why though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #62
Pro

legacyme3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I think with the way Farrell benched Salty and had Ross play the remainder of the WS that the writing was on the wall for his departure. He's a pretty good catcher but he makes some really bewildering mistakes/bad plays.
Yeah, I figure, but with who your options are this offseason, I think you have to extend such an offer to him.

If the Sox don't get Salty (or the draft pick), they are going to be forced to replace him. Internally, none of the catchers in the minors will be ready for 2014, and externally, there just aren't many options better than him. (Only catcher with better "skill" than Salty available is McCann, and I want no part of that guy.)

Ross won't be able to take a full 162 game season being the primary catcher.

I'm just confused as to why they didn't extend an offer to Salty. It doesn't make much sense to me, even if he's a frustrating catcher defensively.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #63
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyme3
Yeah, I figure, but with who your options are this offseason, I think you have to extend such an offer to him.

If the Sox don't get Salty (or the draft pick), they are going to be forced to replace him. Internally, none of the catchers in the minors will be ready for 2014, and externally, there just aren't many options better than him. (Only catcher with better "skill" than Salty available is McCann, and I want no part of that guy.)

Ross won't be able to take a full 162 game season being the primary catcher.

I'm just confused as to why they didn't extend an offer to Salty. It doesn't make much sense to me, even if he's a frustrating catcher defensively.
They didn't extend a QO to him because they'd owe him $14 million next year if he took it. Just because they didn't give him the offer doesn't mean they can't resign him. It would be ill advised to give him a QO since they've given out 3 to Napoli, Drew and Ellsbury.
NCAA: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Old 11-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #64
Pro

legacyme3's Arena

I'm well aware of how Free Agency works. I'm advocating giving him the QO just so there's a backup in case he leaves. 14 million for one year is a lot, but Salty is in many ways an above average catcher, which is something of a rarity.

Now, if he leaves, not only do we not have an above average catcher, but we also don't get a draft pick in exchange.

It wasn't guaranteed he'd accept the QO, this was something of a career year for him, and this is his best chance at getting a high level long term contract. If he accepts it, big deal, there are worse things than paying Salty 14 million for one year of his career. It's a risk I feel you have to take.

And let's not talk as if the Sox care about the money that much. They aren't Yankees or Dodgers level, but they have a lot of money, and going above the Luxury Tax threshold for one season doesn't really mean a lot. It's only a problem if you do it every year, which as we've established wouldn't happen, since the QO is only for one year.

Bottom Line - If the Sox don't re-sign Salty, and lose him for nothing, I'm not going to be a happy camper. I'll be even less happy if we replace him with fun cop Brian McCann.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »