Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #10641
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Minimum of three position players on either side of fair territory upon release of the pitch. That's the rule they should institute. Shifts are just embarrassing now. I know there is a strategical advantage, but they just disrupt the sport's general nature.

This would cause an interesting trade-off that players are otherwise not attempting to do in bunting. I wish they would just to piss everyone off (the opposition, the fans, the commissioner's office and really themselves) until Manfred does something about it.
What exactly is the sport's general nature?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #10642
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

I disagree. I think shifting is brilliant. And on the other side of the coin it can be easily beaten. If players don't want to adjust that's on them. And if a FO loads up on natural pull hitters. You guessed it. That's on them.

Actually before shifting became a thing. Our baseball team would always shift on one particular batter. Because he always pulled it. Maybe once, did he ever hit one opposite field. He was dead pull and it worked beautifully.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #10643
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

Nah, I would hate for Manfred to interfere like that with the game. Can't fault teams for being smart. Hitter has to adjust, that's the nature of the game.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #10644
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
What exactly is the sport's general nature?
That defensive positioning is dependent upon not only tendencies and situations, but also some form of balance. Most player position names have a designation of some sort that is determined by their general location on the field.

Even the infield fly rule called that destroyed the Braves' chances in the WC playoff game against the Cardinals was predicated upon the fact that the shortstop was close to getting underneath the ball, even though he was way out in left field.

If we start air-quoting position names because the left fielder is now standing in right field with the center fielder and that dude that should be there, it would begin to stand as a mockery for the sport.

In a way I am playing devil's advocate, because I am going to take advantage of shifting so long as there isn't anything restricting it (even when I coach), much like many laws this country has. That doesn't mean I am also in support of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
Nah, I would hate for Manfred to interfere like that with the game. Can't fault teams for being smart. Hitter has to adjust, that's the nature of the game.
I understand this, but all it takes is a select few stars to begin bunting every single time out that perhaps then he will start talking about doing something else.

That's what I'm afraid of. At some point there will be counteracting, and nobody is going to like it. I actually very much hope lefties begin doing this, just to get that rule created.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #10645
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

If lefties bunt, I'm pretty sure teams will stop shifting in their own. The game isn't and has never been about balance. If anything, the "nature" of the game is doing whatever it takes to get an advantage. Shifting fits right in with that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #10646
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

Total agree with Jr. Baseball has been flip-flopping between a pitcher's game and a hitter's game ever since it was created. Players & managers have to make adjustments, it's just part of the game

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 07-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #10647
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Add my 2 cents in with the "deal with it" crowd when it comes to shifting. Adapt or die. A part of me thinks this might help "shift" the game ever so slightly back toward valuing guys with top-notch bat control (Tony Gwynn and Wade Boggs types) that can take advantage of the new fad rather than unconscionable mashers.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #10648
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Once baseball starts to trend away from this boom or bust league it has become with K or bombs and gets back to talented hitters filling out lineups shifts will start to go away a bit. Right now they are so effective because the league is full of guys that can't do anything, but pull the ball. There are fortunately still a number of guys like Inciarte off the top of my head who hardly get shifted because he can put a ball anywhere.

The sport hopefully will soon get out of this awful trend and start valuing contact again and the shifts will start to disappear a bit. Until then, we're going to be stuck with front offices putting together all of these one dimensional hitters and then getting mad when teams shift.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »