Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #6641
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Who am I to tell another race of people what they should be allowed to find offensive?

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #6642
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman
It seems trivial to you because it doesn't effect you in any way, I'd imagine. I don't want to make any sweeping assumptions about you, but most people who don't come from oppressed cultures, don't really care about the oppressed cultures.

Moving on, the Seminoles aren't using a caricature, and sought permission from Seminole tribes.
- https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...0ed_story.html

The Atlanta Braves have moved away from their previous imagery and mascot as well, which used to be more cartoony.

The Chicago Blackhawks are actually named after a WWI fighting division, but they haven't escaped their logo, it's not really a caricature, most concerns stem from the fact that it depicts what the Native Americans were, not what they are today. The Blackhawks have also made strides with Native Americans by working with them, most notably the American Indian Center, to educate people on the history of Black Hawk, whom the infantry division was named after. The Blackhawks also don't use Native American stereotypes to further their brand.

The Kansas City Chiefs got rid of their mascot Warpaint in the 80's other than the arrowhead logo, they don't use Native American imagery anymore. Chiefs is also not a derogatory term.

Well, it was the other way around, the Reds changed to the Redlegs, and removed the "Reds" from their logo until the mid-60's. But this is far different than that, I would posit. They changed because of the Political Agenda surrounding communism, while most of the Native American controversies stem from people not wishing to have themselves, or their culture made fun of by professional sports teams.

Like I said, I understand, it's hard to empathise with them when you're not affected by it, at all.
Right, I know the history of most of those names. We're probably beating a dead horse here, but how is the Florida State Seminole not as offensive as the Indians logo?

They have a mascot that literally rides around on a horse dressed as a native american and throws a spear. Is it because it has a more elegant look?

That doesn't really make much sense to me.

I think the Braves logo has the most justifiable grounds for banning because it was deemed the "screaming savage" which obviously is offensive.

But the Indians logo? You know what that reminds me of, "Major League" that's really it. Now your right, while I have indian in me, I'm not fully blooded.

Ah well, agree to disagree.

Sent from my HTCD200LVWPP using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #6643
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

One has to admit that if they are not the people feeling offended, they probably don't understand why those people feel offended.

If Native Americans, which are a group of people that have been typecast and stereotyped, believe that the logo further enforces those negative stereotypes, I think it makes much more sense to side with them on it than a non Native American who isn't offended.

The Celtics name was brought up as an example. One of the reasons it has likely led to much less uproar is because the team was named after a group of people that made up its city. Those people embraced it. Good on them.

In a similar example, the Florida State University Seminoles have had their name sanctioned by the Seminole Tribe of Florida after the team was named in their honor.

One of the other primary issues with Cleveland Indians is that it is named after no one specifically but instead a generalization of a group, and represents no individual group from the area that can either accept it or sanction it.

In addition, unlike the Blackhawks logo or Seminoles logo, the depiction of the Indian is entirely derogatory. If you can't see that it's derogatory, meaning it isn't, then that's likely because you've accepted that as a proper depiction of an Indian which goes back to the initial issue: it enforces a negative stereotype.

This isn't about political correct pansies. This is about a group of people that don't like how they are being depicted.

If the Celtics were instead called the Irishmen and it depicted a man throwing back a mug of beer, I guarantee you there would be upset Irish.

Edit. In the event someone tries to say that the Irishman logo I mentioned doesn't come close to being as derogatory as the depiction of a smiling Indian, please stop. A red-faced, bug tooth Indian is exactly the stereotype they have dealt with. It is exactly as derogatory and offensive to the people.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 12-15-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #6644
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Who am I to tell another race of people what they should be allowed to find offensive?

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.
Fair point, but on the flipside who are you to tell a privately owned team, what is acceptable on your uniforms, and the use of your name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
One has to admit that if they are not the people feeling offended, they probably don't understand why those people feel offended.

If Native Americans, which are a group of people that have been typecast and stereotyped, believe that the logo further enforces those negative stereotypes, I think it makes much more sense to side with them on it than a non Native American who isn't offended.

The Celtics name was brought up as an example. One of the reasons it has likely led to much less uproar is because the team was named after a group of people that made up its city. Those people embraced it. Good on them.

In a similar example, the Florida State University Seminoles have had their name sanctioned by the Seminole Tribe of Florida after the team was named in their honor.

One of the other primary issues with Cleveland Indians is that it is named after no one specifically but instead a generalization of a group, and represents no individual group from the area that can either accept it or sanction it.

In addition, unlike the Blackhawks logo or Seminoles logo, the depiction of the Indian is entirely derogatory. If you can't see that it's derogatory, meaning it isn't, then that's likely because you've accepted that as a proper depiction of an Indian which goes back to the initial issue: it enforces a negative stereotype.

This isn't about political correct pansies. This is about a group of people that don't like how they are being depicted.

If the Celtics were instead called the Irishmen and it depicted a man throwing back a mug of beer, I guarantee you there would be upset Irish.
Regarding the Celtics logo, take a good look at it, isn't it pretty stereotypical of an Irishman? Someone could find that just as offensive as the Indian logo.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #6645
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Rod Carew to undergo a heart and kidney transplant.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #6646

Suntan Superman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
Right, I know the history of most of those names. We're probably beating a dead horse here, but how is the Florida State Seminole not as offensive as the Indians logo?

They have a mascot that literally rides around on a horse dressed as a native american and throws a spear. Is it because it has a more elegant look?
Personally, I don't really know. I would say the the elegance and portrayal has something to do with it. When things are represented respectfully, it elicits a far different response than when they are not.

Quote:
I think the Braves logo has the most justifiable grounds for banning because it was deemed the "screaming savage" which obviously is offensive.
I can't believe anyone in that organization thought it was a good idea to bring that back.

Quote:
But the Indians logo? You know what that reminds me of, "Major League" that's really it. Now your right, while I have indian in me, I'm not fully blooded.
Honestly, I feel the same, Chief Wahoo reminds me of Major League(mostly Willie Mays Hayes), and players like Omar Vizquel and Roberto Alomar(even though he was only there two years). I think that's important to recognize though that people will always see different things in these logos.

Quote:
Ah well, agree to disagree.
I feel it's important to note, I don't think there is a clean answer here. I'd like all of the offensive imagery removed from Professional sports, because I enjoy sports, and I want everyone to get the same enjoyment out of sports that I do. I understand that's not really possible, but it's the dream. I will say I'm very happy that we were both able to keep this unpleasant topic, pleasant between us.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #6647
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Fair point, but on the flipside who are you to tell a privately owned team, what is acceptable on your uniforms, and the use of your name?

Regarding the Celtics logo, take a good look at it, isn't it pretty stereotypical of an Irishman? Someone could find that just as offensive as the Indian logo.

You're right. I didn't quite remember all of the features of the logo.

But I think its depiction falls in line with the Seminoles. The groups have embraced it.

Native Americans don't embrace the Chief Wahoo logo. I don't think we should tell them how to feel about it.

Just to comment on the flip of that in your previous comment, we as people have the right to complain about anything. We pretty much all do. You're complaining about this, for example. I'm complaining about you complaining.

Native Americans have every right to tell a private company what they don't like. It's up to the private company to decide if the complaint is worth their time, money and brand.

Let's remember the Indians have long faced these complaints and done nothing, or very little, about it. So it's entirely up to them what they decide to do. Their response to remove Wahoo from the caps is their response. Teams change cap logos all the time. Wahoo is still on the sleeve, so as far as we know, the franchise doesn't give a crap what Native Americans think.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 12-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #6648

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I just want to say that even though this can be a difficult discussion to have it's been done in an amazingly good fashion here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »