Home

The LeBron James Thread

This is a discussion on The LeBron James Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Team?
Cleveland 82 20.81%
Chicago 86 21.83%
New York 71 18.02%
New Jersey 32 8.12%
Los Angeles Clippers 11 2.79%
Oklahoma City 7 1.78%
Miami 82 20.81%
Other 23 5.84%
Voters: 394. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #14985
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
The LeBron James Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I've been following him since his first video.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I’ve been following his other outlets for awhile now since that article was posted with his top 40 GOAT list, just recently discovered he has a YouTube account now though. I’m glad he’s started to do videos now for all current guys because a lot of his other stuff is on past players.

I think one of my favorite takeaways from his content is he does a great job of trying to remove the whole bias factor. Meaning his videos aren't like the traditional here is a scouting video and this is what I think about it.. But more so here is a scouting video and this is where it relates to what this stat, and this stat, and this stat tell us. Along with providing insight on areas where those stats might come up short in giving full context as well.

For his past player breakdowns he does a great job at getting away from the whole this player was an All-Star, this player won MVP, this player was All-NBA, he pays little attention to narrative and more on the individuality of the player. An example being that just because Michael Jordan didn't actually win MVP in 1990 doesn't mean he didn't have an MVP level season.

He has a particular quote in his back-picks article in where he says something along the lines of if David Robinson was backing up the two best centers to ever play he wouldn't be very valuable but he would still be very good. Meaning that a lot of his reasoning attempts to separate a player's "goodness" rather than just their situational value. That line in particular to me changed a bit the way I even view and value certain players and start paying more attention to how different circumstances often play a big role in skewing perception and basic counting stats.

I also love his idea of using a per 75 possession stat fix for all basic stats for era comparison. Where a modern player in today's game playing up around that 36ish minute mark will get roughly 75 possession in a game, adjusting past players stats to a per 75 get us much closer than the standard per 36 numbers because those still don't adjust for pace changes.. Per 75 possessions, though only truly altering possessions, mimics what it would be like if we could adjust for pace, minutes, and possessions. I think the error rate on this was only about a 1% error, so this stat and a lot of others that he manipulates have very very small differences from what would be reality. Which gets us estimates that are about as close as you could ask for without requiring you to be a statistics wizard since basketball-reference lets you change the per possession value to whatever you want it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ojandpizza; 05-02-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #14986
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The LeBron James Thread

I never questioned his decline or ability this year, just his effort and leadership. I think he's still the best player on the planet--the thread dethroning him made me chuckle--but he was a terrible leader who spent too much time sulking.

It does not come as a surprise that a team full of young players would routinely botch a relatively complicated defensive scheme but that's part of why so many people questioned his decision to sign with the Lakers given where the roster stood. He expected to have his cake and eat it too and threw a tantrum when it didn't work.

OJ, do you have a link to his Top 40 list?

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 05-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #14987
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I never questioned his decline or ability this year, just his effort and leadership. I think he's still the best player on the planet--the thread dethroning him made me chuckle--but he was a terrible leader who spent too much time sulking.

It does not come as a surprise that a team full of young players would routinely botch a relatively complicated defensive scheme but that's part of why so many people questioned his decision to sign with the Lakers given where the roster stood. He expected to have his cake and eat it too and threw a tantrum when it didn't work.

OJ, do you have a link to his Top 40 list?
I think questioning his decline is fair, as he has been slowing down over the past 2-3 seasons now. A lot of his play in general seems to be almost situational picked rather than playing with a high motor at all times. But I think that just comes with age. I thought during the playoffs he has still stepped everything up a notch where nobody but maybe KD can really reach anything close to that level, but he's not in the playoffs this year to really determined if that has declined or not.. I think like you said though, the decline is more inconsistency effort wise, and the young personnel around him, the injuries, line-up changes, and the team trying to get that chemistry on the fly only made that worse.

http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/11/...n-nba-history/

I don't agree with everything on his list, but the individual breakdowns for each player are definitely worth the read when you get a chance.

This is also a list is also based on their careers, so it's not really just ranking guys at their peak which makes a few questionable names pop up but they make sense since the criteria is "40 best careers" not necessarily "40 best players".

Like I said, even ignoring the list itself altogether, just reading each players scouting report makes you really appreciate the amount of time that was put into this. A lot of it is heavy in advanced stats and analytics, but unlike most he has scouted videos that go with them and IMO does a solid job of bringing the whole "eye-test" argument and stat argument into one whole piece.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #14988
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

I may be off on this, but I fully expect LBJ to absolutely dominate the league next year based on the following:

a) I think he'll be embarrassed by this past season and the things that have been said about him. He'll come back motivated to show he's not done.

b) He just played the least amount of basketball he's played since he joined the NBA between the injuries and not making the playoffs. I expect him to be extremely fresh next season and as explosive as we've seen him in a while.

Age is going to catch up for good at some point, but I think he's got one more unreal season left in him.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #14989
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

FreeDawkin must feel people are missing this guy.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #14990
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

UGH, that video!

Anywho, I see LeBron is back in the coaching ranks with Lue just about to be named "coach" of the Lakers.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #14991
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

https://clutchpoints.com/heat-news-c...-lebron-james/

Chris Bosh on his first time seeing LeBron James play at the 2001 ABCD camp.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2019, 12:35 AM   #14992
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Pointless stat overall so y’all ain’t got to read in to it that deep lol.. but good lord Bron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »