Home

Cowboys blah blah 5 superbowls 49's blah blah 5 superbowls

This is a discussion on Cowboys blah blah 5 superbowls 49's blah blah 5 superbowls within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2002, 05:10 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Cowboys blah blah 5 superbowls 49\'s blah blah 5 superbowls

In 1962, the Green Bay Packers won the National league and the Dallas Texans won the AFL. Which of those count? They are both listed on NFL.com. Were there two champions that year? You want to give both teams credit for the championship in the same year? To compare either one of those "championships" to a superbowl is ridiculous.

Also, 1933 was the first year that the NFL played a championship game. Before that, the team with the best record among the 10 teams was declared the champion. That is a strike against acknowledging those years "real" championships. You want to compare those 3 GB "championships" to a superbowl championship? I dont think you can compare the two. Those so called "championships" were before the forward pass was even made legal. There were only 10 teams in the league. Another factor was that there were mostly only white players. From 1920-1933, there were 13 black players. The fact that only an "exclusive" group was allowed to play is another strike against declaring any of those years "legitimate" championships. It is a joke to compare any of those championships to a superbowl championship, and it is an insult to the game itself.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:19 PM   #34
All Star

OVR: 17

Nice conversation you are having with yoursef. Did you enjoy the Cowboy game today?
Old 12-29-2002, 05:35 PM   #35
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21

"The fact that only an "exclusive" group was allowed to play is another strike against declaring any of those years "legitimate" championships."

Hmmm....so the Yankees run in the 1920s is not a "legitimate" championship by your rules then, huh?

The NFL and AFL merged in 1970 after the 4th NFL-AFL Championship (Super Bowl IV). Thus, 2 of the Packers 3 "Super Bowl" Championships you keep harping about were actually determined BEFORE the Super Bowl (1967 and 1968).

By saying "Green Bay Packers: 12-Time NFL Champions", it means the same as saying "Boston Celtics: 16-Time NBA Champions." Sure the ABA existed in the '70s, but the Celtics still won the NBA title, like the Packers won the NFL title.

The run of 8 NBA titles in a row that the Celtics won was during a time with only something like 12 teams in the league; just like when the Packers won NFL titles in the 1930s. BUT, both teams won the titles of THEIR LEAGUE at the time. It just so happens that the Super Bowl is the end-all to the NFL title NOW, but the NFL title in the early 1960s was determined by its own championship game.

Back in the '60s, the AFL was a "minor" league by all accounts. The only reason the NFL recognizes those records at all is because they merged. But to the people then, the NFL title was the "true" title, just like no one today would say the LA Extreme's title from the XFL was 'equal' to the Raven's title in SB XXXV. But now, if there was an NFL-XFL championship game......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2002, 05:38 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 8

Now why would you assume that I'm a Raider fan? And I hate to admit it I probably could name every Super Bowl team off the top of my head. But I will admit, that I am humbled in your presence, your dearth of football knowledge is with out a doubt mind boggling.

One more thing, it's an insult to the players back then and to the players today, to say that the achievments of the players in the pre-Super Bowl era don't count. The players in todays game owe everything to those guys. I will bet my life, that to a man each and every guy playing today will admit that. So a championship is a championship is a championship, and it doesn't matter whether or not it has a damn Roman numeral after it.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:03 PM   #37
Banned

1960-the Houston Oilers won the AFL(AFC)
Philadelphia Eagles won the NFL(NFC) which of these count, both of them?
1961-Houston Oilers won the AFL(AFC)
Green Bay Packers won the NFL(NFC)
1962-Dallas Texans won the AFL (AFC)
Green Bay Packers won the NFL (NFC)
1963-San Diego Chargers won the AFL (AFC)
Chicago Bears won the NFL (NFC)
1964-Buffalo Bills won the AFL (AFC)
Cleveland browns won the NFL (NFC)
1965- Buffalo Bills won the AFL(AFC)
Green Bay Packers won the NFL (NFC)
None of these so called "championships" compare to the post merger championships. They are all some sort of championship that is very true, and I am not denying that they all won a championship. However, to lump all of these together with the post merger champions is completely ridiculous. You dont really think that these championships can even be compared to the post-merger championships do you? If so, then you need to get your head checked

Also, football was a different game in the 30s. Forward passes were not legal and college players sometimes played for the pro teams while they were also playing for their college teams. The number of players on the field fluctuated from 14 to 11 to 12 back to 14 and most rules that you see today were not even created yet. The "league" consisted of 18 teams for a couple of years until it was soon cut down to 8 teams, where it remained until after WWII. There was not even a championship game or playoff between these teams. The team with the best record was simply called the champion. If anyone wants to throw these championships in the same category as the post-merger or superbowl championships then you are either a moron or you are really reaching. I played football from the time I was in the 7th grade until I was a sophmore in college and I think I am definetely qualified to talk about what or what does not "insult" the game and comparing any pre merger championship to a post merger championship is an insult to anyone who has played the game.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:21 PM   #38
Banned

as far as dbeth is conserned. You are a complet moron. Baseball has been one league for a century and the world series has decided baseball's champion. Football is different in that it had two different champions every year, and no, the NFL and AFL did not merge after super bowl 4. The two leagues played each other starting at super bowl I (although it was not called superbowl at the time) I am saying that you cannot lump those championships in with any post-merger championship. I am not saying that they did not win some sort of championship. i will not even respond to your comparison between the XFL and the AFL. The AFL merged with the NFL and the original AFL teams are still in existence today. According to the NFL, old National AND American league stats both count. I dont think XFL stats will be counted by the NFL, and I dont think the XFL and NFL could have merged. You are a moron to even bring the XFL into the argument.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:25 PM   #39
All Star

OVR: 17

texdirtbag

Apparently you failed to read our forum rules that you agreed to. Discuss the topics, dont attack the posters.

This is a warning. Next time we give you a yellow card.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:27 PM   #40
Banned

bdoughty, who cares about the cowboy game today? Who the hell is talking about the Cowboys. If you will LOOK AT THE PREVIOUS POSTS, you will see what we are talking about. (Dont you hate it when people jump in the middle of an argument that dont even know what you are arguing about)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »