Home

Where's the scrutiny? (LT)

This is a discussion on Where's the scrutiny? (LT) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: Where's the scrutiny? (LT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
In efforts to get back on topic, you cant compare LT and the guys that went before him in the draft to Jordan and Sam Boowie(spelling?) because of the nature of the NFL draft. There have been many great players picked late in the first round or not even on the third day. The NFL draft is a complete crapshoot becuase you dont always know what your going to get. Tom brady was what a 4-5th rounder. This year the bears have the leading rookie in sacks and got him in the 6th round. Terrel davis was i believe a 4th rounder. Years ago a guy like Eric Swann didnt even get drafted, etc etc. So there probably should be a little scrutiny, but in the NFL you never know how good a player your getting or passing up.
Eric Swann was a first round pick.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #58
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
That being said, Cleveland, Cincy and Arizona all had a RB need if I remember.
IIRC, Cleveland was holding out hope they had a hidden gem in Travis Prentice. Cincinnati had Corey Dillon coming off of a Pro Bowl selection and 1400 yards. Arizona only had Michael Pittman, so it is safe to say they had a big hole at RB.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #59
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I just don't understand why the Falcons would draft "vertical" type receivers, when what they need is a possession guy. They run the West Coast offence, which is timing and lots of passes over the middle. They don't need the next Randy Moss, all they need is the next Andre Reed. Yet they have three guys who are unwilling to go where the big defenders are.
The Falcons shouldn't draft possession receivers since Vick will never be accurate enough to run a West Coast offence. A vertical offense with vertical WRs is the best system for Vick but the guys just haven't panned out yet. I agree with Phil Simms who said he needs deep drops and room to maneuver to use his legs and strong arm. The West Coast offense is the worst thing for Michael Vick.

I'm not ready to call Roddy White a bust yet. Its a two way street and Vick needs to get better when passing the ball as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #60
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I still would have taken Couch 10 out of 10 drafts with that same class. Granted McNabb was the class of it now, but not then.
I don't get why Tim Couch was the lock at number 1. Furthermore the draft was very weird in that Philly seemed to lock on to McNabb at #2 and I bet they would have taken him #1 if they had the #1 pick. They didn't seem to want anyone else.

Cleveland never seemed to consider McNabb. It was all Tim Couch or Akili Smith who was a bumb at #3. I still don't know why McNabb was never in their conversations. The weather in Cleveland and Couch's weak arm weren't exactly a match made in heaven. I think Couch's arm problems wrecked what might have been a decent career but he wasn't the rock solid #1 QB pick most people like.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 AM   #61
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
The Falcons shouldn't draft possession receivers since Vick will never be accurate enough to run a West Coast offence. A vertical offense with vertical WRs is the best system for Vick but the guys just haven't panned out yet. I agree with Phil Simms who said he needs deep drops and room to maneuver to use his legs and strong arm. The West Coast offense is the worst thing for Michael Vick.

I'm not ready to call Roddy White a bust yet. Its a two way street and Vick needs to get better when passing the ball as well.
Roddy White needs to learn how to catch. His performance all season, especially in the Saints game, was inexcusable.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #62
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Lightbulb Re: Where's the scrutiny? (LT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I just don't understand why the Falcons would draft "vertical" type receivers, when what they need is a possession guy. They run the West Coast offence, which is timing and lots of passes over the middle. They don't need the next Randy Moss, all they need is the next Andre Reed. Yet they have three guys who are unwilling to go where the big defenders are.

Actually, Brian Finneran did go across the middle and he did it often. But unfortunately for the Falcons he's been out for most of this season with an injury.

Kruza
Old 12-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #63
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Roddy White needs to learn how to catch. His performance all season, especially in the Saints game, was inexcusable.
As a Michael Vick AND Roddy White fantasy owner, I was definately disappointed in Roddy this year. He didn't last long on my opening roster and on the few Falcons games I watched, both him and Michael Jenkins were screwing me out of big points with their drops. I still think he's got talent and a lot of WRs start out slow in their careers. He came from a smaller school so it might take him a little longer.

Getting back on topic, Mandarich over Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders and Derrick Thomas makes that the worst pick of all time imo. With Aikman #1 in that draft, was there a better Top 5 in draft history when 4 out of 5 are likely Hall of Famers? LT is more worthy of the #1 pick than Vick in my mind but I wouldn't call Vick a mistake over LT either. Davis, Warren and Justin Smith are all average players whose teams I'm sure would rather forget about passing on LT.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 12-19-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #64
Banned

The Bengals had Corey Dillon at the time, and whereas he is not the rare talent that LT is, he was a young Pro Bowl back who was coming off of a 1400 yard season. Picking LT would have been a mistake for the Bengals at th time, given the needs of the team, they then later made up for it to an extent when they took Rudi Johnson in the 4th Round.

I am sure the Cardinals and Browns regret their decisions right now, but Leonard Davis was supposed to be a big time prospect who they thought could anchor their OL for years to come, so given the reality of the time it is hard to blame them for that decision. As for the Browns, taking a DT at #3 overall is ******** however you cut it, even worse when you consider they could've taken Richard Seymour over Gerard Warren.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »