Home

Dieselboy's Week 15 Wrap-up

This is a discussion on Dieselboy's Week 15 Wrap-up within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21
Dieselboy's Week 15 Wrap-up

Week 15 NFL Wrap-up

Better late then never right? Sorry for the delay guys, Western Washington had "the worst wind storm in 200 years" for the area, and my power has been out at my home since Thursday night.

Top Five

1. San Diego Chargers (12-2) LW = 1
They are the real deal. They are going to have homefield throughout the playoffs and I don’t see anyone beating them. Sure, a lot of these Chargers are young, and not with a ton of experience, but LT is playing out of his mind and the team can score with anybody. Oh and the defense isn’t too shabby either.

2. Baltimore Ravens (11-3) LW = 2
Steve McNair goes down, Kyle Boller comes in, and they don’t miss a beat. I am really excited to see San Diego vs. Baltimore in the AFC Championship game. Woo. Remember the last time they met? It was a 16-13 battle won by the Ravens, at home. A game in which, the Chargers were up 13-7 with just over three minutes to go in the fourth. If they meet again, the Ravens will be facing an even better team, this time in San Diego. I can’t wait.

3. Indianapolis Colts (11-3) LW = 5
A little high for the Colts? I think so too. Maybe I am just shocked. Seriously. I can not believe that they beat the Bengals. I thought this was going to be a for sure win for the Bengals against the reeling Colts. I thought Carson Palmer would either out duel Peyton Manning or Rudi Johnson would run over every Colt defender on way to victory. Neither happened. Now I know everyone is off their Super Bowl bandwagon, but they are about to end the season on a three game winning streak, and could be grouping at the right time. No, they aren’t my favorite, but the Colts have proven that have lost as favorites in the playoffs, but what happens when they are the underdogs? Does this team have a shot on the road in a San Diego or Baltimore? You bet they do.

4. Chicago Bears (12-2) LW = 3
An impressive win? Eh. They are still the class of the NFC, but man, these guys are still far behind the top of the league. The Bears have homefield, and might sleepwalk the rest of the way, but they better not. If this team isn’t in a good rhythm at the end of the year, they could lose, early.

5. Too many to name?
Those are your top four teams, and then there is everybody else. Who is the fifth best team in the league? The Saints I thought were a top five team, but then they drop a game to the Redskins? Well, the Cowboys have played pretty good, ya but, they got killed by the Saints just a week ago. Well, the Patriots laid a smashing on the Texans, but only 230 yards of offense, and Ron Dayne looked good against them. If there was a one game playoff, on a neutral field, who would win out of Cincinnati, New York Giants, Philadelphia, Tennessee, Buffalo, New York Jets, or the three mentioned teams above? I honestly, have no clue.

Five Thoughts

1. Why hasn’t Tim Rattay been given a shot to start somewhere besides in San Fransisco? Ok, so he isn’t the next Tom Brady, but the guy has some talent. He is small yes, at six-foot and 215 pounds, and no he isn’t very young at 29. But, he does have a quick release, and makes very accurate throws. Plus, on Sunday against the great Bears defense, he threw for 268 yards, three touchdowns, and one pick, in less than a full game. He is a free-agent after the season, and won’t be looking for much, but I would love to have him on my team. I think the guy could be one of the best backups in this league, and might even deserve a shot at starting. Put him on a team to compete with a young rookie QB. He put up solid numbers everywhere he has been.

2. The Seahawks are an absolute joke. I’d rather have us miss the playoffs to give us a big wake-up call instead of backing into the playoffs and losing very early. I have very little doubt in my mind that the Seahawks will get in, by either a SF loss or by Seattle beating the Buccaneers in week 17, and I know the NFC is really weak throughout, and the playoffs are wide open....but this team just might lose the first round to the wildcard team. No way do we beat a Philadelphia.

3. The AFC just gets better and better. They were regarded as the much better conference a few weeks ago, but now look at them. The Titans, Bills, and Steelers are three of the NFL’s hottest teams and they are all very likely to miss a playoff spot. I know the Steelers have been good for awhile, as they did win the SB last year, but the Titans and Bills are really making a showing for the 2007 season. Whether they finish 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, this season has been great for them.

4. Wow, Kansas City has completely fallen on its face. Ok, so no one is that shocked that they lost the last two to the Ravens and Chargers, but prior to the OT loss to the Browns, this team had high, high hopes. Trent Green was back and healthy after Damon Huard kept them afloat, but look at them now. 7-7, with a poor conference record. A month ago, they had a great shot at making the playoffs, now, a miracle to make it.

5. I used to stand up for Terrell Owens. After spitting in another player’s face, not anymore. You are a joke.

Week Awards

Player of the Week: Alex Smith - What? Ok, so he didn’t have amazing eye-popping numbers, but what he did on Thursday, wow. He was bound to fail right? The crowd was loud waiting for that NFC West Title, it was rainy, it was cold and windy, and the 49ers were down. So what does he do? Scores three fourth quarter touchdowns looking like Steve Young. Great game kid.

Goat of the Week: TO - just a joke.

Quote of the Week: "It's embarrassing. It's embarrassing. It's just embarrassing.''
-- Carolina wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson after the Panthers fell to 6-8 with a 37-3 home loss to Pittsburgh. Ya, that will happen when you go from SB pick to mediocre.

Final Words: Sorry for the delay fellas!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23
Re: Dieselboy's Week 15 Wrap-up

An excellent read, as always, but I still believe the Patriots are a clear step above the rest of the pack for #5 (Bengals, Bills, Titans, Broncos, Cowboys, etc.)

Old 12-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

I don't doubt that they probably are, arguably, a top five team in this league, but they have not been playing that great of football in recent weeks. Plus, there are a lot of .500 or near .500 hot teams that could beat them.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

I agree, the Patriots haven't played well as of late.

Granted, we looked pretty good Sunday, but it was vs the Texans.

We'll see where this team stands when we head to Jacksonville this weekend. Should be a good one.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 12-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
I don't doubt that they probably are, arguably, a top five team in this league, but they have not been playing that great of football in recent weeks. Plus, there are a lot of .500 or near .500 hot teams that could beat them.
I'm still skeptical on how a young Bills or Titans team would do against NE at this stage. I never doubt a Tom Brady-led team during this point of the season.

The offense still sputtered against Houston, yet still found a way to rout the Texans 40-7. While it's only Houston, I find it impressive to put up the amount of points (via special teams, defense) while still gaining only 230 yards of offense, because of superb execution and coaching.

I would argue this team is acutally better than the Colts.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Thank god you don't have a vote in AP polls!

Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I gotta agree. The Pats have been as inconsistent as all the other teams named in that range.

Great write up as usual. Don't be so sure that if the Ravens end up playing the Bolts again, it'll be in SD. SD loses a game and Ravens win out, BAL has the tie breaker.

I'm happy you gave the Colts more props. As much as they've been criticized recently they still only have 3 loses on the season. The Bears should still get more respect for their record. They've had some pretty big injury problems recently, putting a dent in their solid defense, but they are still winning.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

From TMQ on espn:

"Buffalo has won five of its past seven games -- with the only losses to Indianapolis and San Diego by a combined margin of four points."

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »