Home

NFL Players throwing GANG SIGNS!!!!!! During Games???

This is a discussion on NFL Players throwing GANG SIGNS!!!!!! During Games??? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 29
NFL Players throwing GANG SIGNS!!!!!! During Games???

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3491580

Quote:
The NFL has hired experts to study game footage to determine whether players are displaying street-gang hand signals as part of their on-field celebrations, The Los Angeles Times reports.

"There have been some suspected things we've seen," said Milt Ahlerich, the league's vice president of security, according to The Times' report. "When we see it, we quietly jump on it immediately, directly with the team and the player or employee involved to cease and desist. Period."

Gang signs in pro sports gained a higher profile during the NBA playoffs, when Boston Celtics captain Paul Pierce was fined $25,000 for making "menacing gestures" toward the Atlanta Hawks' bench during a game.

"We were always suspicious that [gang-related hand signals] might be happening," said Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officiating, according to the report. "But the Paul Pierce thing is what brought it to light. When he was fined ... that's when we said we need to take a look at it and see if we need to be aware of it."

Ahlerich said he does not believe the problem is widespread, but added that the league has spoken to some players -- whom he declined to identify -- about their use of hand signals, according to the report.

First-year players were counseled on gangs at the league's recent rookie symposium, and a video on the dangers of gangs was required viewing for every player in the NFL last year, according to the report.

But differentiating between a gang sign and something less menacing can involve some guesswork, according to at least one player.

"Guys come from all over the country, and who knows what they're really doing?" Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Dennis Northcutt said, according to The Times' report. "People have got signs for their kids, signs for their fraternities. How do you differentiate who's really throwing up gang signs?

"This is a gang sign," he added, touching his index finger to his thumb to form a squished version of the hand sign for OK. "But at the same time, it's a sign for a personnel group."
This is just dumb. Although, this does explain Peyton Manning's pre-snap "adjustments". He really isn't giving audibles, he is showing gang signs.

First person to make a Bengals jokes wins a free old hat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NFL Players throwing GANG SIGNS!!!!!! During Games???

"Blood, sweat, and tears"

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

There is no bigger NFL fan than I am, but I have to say, I have never heard anything about gang signs or gang involvement, when it comes to NFL players before.

Is this an issue?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Someone should bust out the old DDP "Bang" gesture. I wanna see the NFL freak without reason

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Living in this tube

Skerik's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
"When we see it, we quietly jump on it immediately, directly with the team and the player or employee involved to cease and desist. Period."
Big deal, especially since it seems like it'll be handled discreetly to avoid embarassing exposure over falsely reported gang signs. Better safe than sorry - like it or not, professional athletes are role models and heroes to children and we don't need them flashing up any signs that glorify that lifestyle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

how do I apply for this "Sr. Has Nothing Better To Do But Investigate Random Crap Analyst" position? on NFL.com?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 15

At this rate, I'm convinced that a player will get fined for handing the ball to a referee after a TD in 20 years..........
MLB: Chicago White Sox
NCAA: Florida State Seminoles

Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Kudos to the NFL. We really need to put a stamp on all these menacing gestures.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »