Home

Army Forces Capmbell to Give Up Football

This is a discussion on Army Forces Capmbell to Give Up Football within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #41
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Army Forces Capmbell to Give Up Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
You're being naive. There have been numerous football players from Army to get tryouts from NFL teams and there have been numerous baseball players drafted by NFL teams. But soon as a kid gets drafted and has a strong possibility to make the team, the policy gets changed. That is not a coincidence.

You're right about it being a DoD policy, but the change was for the wrong reasons. Like I said, Campbell probaly wasn't needed directly in any unit.....if he was, it would be a different story. They jerked this kid for publicity and either fear of some negative press or interbranch politics ruined his chance at the NFL.

Just goes to show that the politics of college football can strike anywhere.
No. I am a realist that served most of my adult life in the Army. I understand the DOD.

On a side note. Why would the NFL draft numerous baseball players?
NCAA:Michigan Wolverines.
F-1: Ferrari.

It's been a while OS. Hope all are doing well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #42
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburntigersfan
Sure it is stupid that the Army changed the rule, but he shouldn't fight it in court. He got his free education, it would be stupid for him to fight in court because he didn't get to spend serve the military in the way he wanted to. He decided to go to West Point now it is his obligation to serve our nation.
The Army didn't change the regulation,the DOD is the culprit here.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #43
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Just to be clear, this kid is not complaining one bit. He's not threatening or considering a law suit and isn't a part of all the talk going on. I'm sure, like everyone else, he went to West Point with the idea of becoming a member of the US Army. The NFL is a great opportunity for him but he knows that his first priority is to his country.

And for all you youngins that don't really get how all this works, we are at war, and if it's decided that we need to have a draft, you all can be yanked from any job or school you're at also to fight for your country. This discussion isn't the same as complaining about Goodell being power hungry.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #44
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Just to be clear, this kid is not complaining one bit. He's not threatening or considering a law suit and isn't a part of all the talk going on. I'm sure, like everyone else, he went to West Point with the idea of becoming a member of the US Army. The NFL is a great opportunity for him but he knows that his first priority is to his country.

And for all you youngins that don't really get how all this works, we are at war, and if it's decided that we need to have a draft, you all can be yanked from any job or school you're at also to fight for your country. This discussion isn't the same as complaining about Goodell being power hungry.
Great points brother.

In WWII alone baseball was almost cancelled except for a president that said the country needed baseball. So to fill in for the Williams, Dimaggios, and other starts of the day we had a form of replacement baseball. So I just wanted to get off my chest some of the athletes who have given it all in sports and in the military.

Ted Williams lost five seasons of his prime to fly fighter planes in WWII and in the Korean War.

1st LT Kalsu, not a name a lot of you might know. He was an offensive lineman that came out of college and was drafted by the Bills in the mid 60s. However he was also commited to ROTC in school and chose to serve his country. This fine young man was killed in a mortar attack on his outpost and never got to play again.

Roger Staubach and David Robinson, both went to the Naval Academy and lost some of the prime years of their careers but they still lived up to their duty. I mean yeah they are Navy guys (Im was active Army for 23 years) and I doubt Robinson was on a submarine, but they still toed the line.

Countless other baseball and football players have stepped up to the plate and taken a chance to defend their country. I know the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are not popular, but if they escalate to a level none of us want to see, I wonder which ones would give up the game they make millions at to join the military? Just a question not a political statement. Sports and politics go together like lamb and tuna fish.

But the one I think of most is fellow Ranger, Corporal Pat Tillman. I know the circumstances surrounding his death were politicized to no end, but he still paid the ultimate sacrifice. A bullett doesnt know friend or foe and you cant take one back once its left the muzzle. Corporal Tillman walked away from the game he loved and did it with dignity. He did not seek publicity and refused interviews after he joined. He has set the tone in my opinion for what modern athletes should do if the country should need someone.

And I know its hard to walk away from millions of dollars a year, and athletes of yesterday were in a different generation and the circumstances were different. But I still wanted to say thanks for the ones that have gone before us and have paved the way.

Last edited by Jackdog; 07-24-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #45
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Bob Kalsu was drafted and played for the Buffalo Bills (not the Green Bay Packers) for a year before he served and died for his country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #46
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Great post, Jackdog.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #47
Rookie

HMMurdock311's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't see what the big deal is, possibly because I spent 5 years in the military. David Robinson served his 2 years in the Navy after the Academy and his career was fine. Anyone that goes to a service academy knows that they will have to serve their least 2 years.

EDIT - Great Post Jackdog

Last edited by HMMurdock311; 07-24-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Man, I type a Paragraph and Jackdog gets 6 =P
Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #48
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Bob Kalsu was drafted and played for the Buffalo Bills (not the Green Bay Packers) for a year before he served and died for his country.

Thanks. I was at FOB Kalsu in Iraq. They had a picture of him in a Packers jersey. Go figure,another thing the DOD got wrong. Sorry Bills fans.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »