Home

Bills To Toronto?!

This is a discussion on Bills To Toronto?! within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #49
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Bills To Toronto?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
But I have a question. As many have said, players did not want to go to Toronto in part because the Canadian dollar was weaker before. Right now, the American dollar is weak. But in 5-10 years, couldn't the American dollar be right back to being strong again? Then moving to Toronto wouldn't seem so smart. They shouldn't move the team if in the short term it's successful. They should move it if it's smart for the long term.
The Canadian dollar wouldn't be a big problem. If it becomes weak it'll just mean the Bills would pretty much operate the way it does now. (small market spending, very judicious in UFA signings) The ownership will be a split ownership between Rogers and MLSE. Those two entities have more cash then you dream of.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #50
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

I really think if the Bills win a playoff game or even make the playoffs all of this BS will go away.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #51
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
I really think if the Bills win a playoff game or even make the playoffs all of this BS will go away.
I agree although on the flipside the Rogers/MLSE conglomerate would want the team even more

playoffs=extra revenue.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #52
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Ask players like Steve Francis how they feel about Canada.
Who cares about the opinion of a guy like Francis? He's been a whiny douche his entire career.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 29

I think Los Angeles would have a better time getting the NFL BACK to LA rather than Toronto bringing the NFL in for the first time.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #54
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
The Canadian dollar's strength will never be an issue for an NFL team's operations. Players are of course paid in U.S. dollars anyway and in the past teams like the Blue Jays and the Leafs have never had a problem spending a ton of money in comparison with other teams in the league.
Exactly, and even if the Canadian dollar did fall back to .65 (which it wont, not while Oil is high, which it will be forever...) that would just make the money an NFL player is paid go that much further in terms of the exchange rate. A million dollar house Canadian would only cost him $650k US.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #55
Pro

OVR: 5

Sounds to me like most of the Americans on this board have tried to block out the Jays back-to-back World Series wins. I'm sure that when Toronto got a baseball team 31 years ago, people where saying the same thing.... that it would never work.

I live in Toronto. I've lived in Ontario for most of my life. I love the city, but do I think that we are ready for an NFL franchise? Even though what I just said about the Jays, I'd have to say no.

The Bills first game here last week was laughable. Sponsored tailgate parties. Condo owners complaining that streets were blocked off. And, of course, worried CFL fans.

I'd say about 40% of people who go to CFL games are actually CFL fans. The rest are football fans. The NFL in Toronto would kill the CFL, at least in Toronto (the CFL is much more popular in the Western provinces).

They'd also have to build a new stadium. The Rogers Centre (or Skydome, as long time Toronto sports fans will always refer to it as), is not exactly in a good location for football. A great place to put a new stadium would be where the old Exhibition Stadium was... and keep it outside.

It could work - eventually - but we're talking at least 7-8 years from now, especially since the Bills "Toronto" schedule is for 5 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #56
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggazoo

They'd also have to build a new stadium. The Rogers Centre (or Skydome, as long time Toronto sports fans will always refer to it as), is not exactly in a good location for football. A great place to put a new stadium would be where the old Exhibition Stadium was... and keep it outside.
I'd say the best location would be the huge expanse of unused land by Woodbine racetrack. It's near a highway (or two) and has great public transportation support as well.

As for tailgating and such they HAD to do that because of the crummy rules in place by the provincial government.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »